1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Ultimate deer knife

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by David Martin, Jun 5, 2012.

1. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I guess no one else saw this as this article about one of Buck's new models appeared in the latest issuse of American Hunter.
    [​IMG]

So, what do you think is the ultimate deer knife? DM

2. 2TONYB

2TONYB Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Thanks David. I haven't even cracked that issue open.

3. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Your welcome. I thought you were a member. Read it and let us know what you think. DM

4. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    That's the funniest looking 110 I have ever seen .:p
    Jim

5. BG42EDGE

BG42EDGE Banned BANNED

Nov 6, 2009
    Those journalists......they are eating stale crackers and thin soup these days and desperate to sell a story......any story.

:D

6. 2TONYB

2TONYB Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2005
    It's probably a decent read for someone who is not very passionate about their knives. However, a person new to knives and deer hunting (field dressing, skinning/caping, meat processing/boning/slicing) would probably be more confused after reading this.

7. Pack Rat

Pack Rat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2006
    What Grateful said....

8. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    The ultimate deer knife?The 118 in d2 is tops on my list,I use several different knives,but if i were looking for one knife to dress.skin/quarter and cut up the meat,the d2 118 is tops!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  9. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Just wondered if anyone else had seen the article. Buck is trying to market a new model. DM

10. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    It wouldn't be something I would buy David. I just can't force myself to get a knife with a gut hook.
    A lot of people like them though.

11. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I've built a few and after using them didn't build any more. But like you say some like them. DM

12. 110 Dave

110 Dave

May 6, 2004
    i can vouch for the d2 118 on a hog!!!

13. skyhorse

skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    Yeah Mike the only gut hook that I've ever needed is my finger.

14. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Skyhorse, So, glad to see you on the Buck Forum. Hope all is well. DM

15. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    I have found most gut hooks to be absolutely useless,most are made at the wrong angle needed to work properly,many just plug up with hair right off ,David Martin posted a pic of an old stag handled browning with a blunt tipped blade,something like that is excellent for feild dressing and skinning the initial cuts going up the legs before skinning deer out.I would also include the 110 alaskan guide as an ultimate deer knife,just not as ultimate as the d2 118.LOL

16. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5

Jan 6, 2006
    Hey David . I can just see you skinning a coyote with one .:D

17. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, I'll try a knife out on most anything that stays still long enough. I enjoy using the Selector 189. DM

18. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    Any pics of your selecter 189 David?Very interested in that model .thanks

19. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2004
    In 1967 I bought a 102 woodsman. That knife took care of deer, as well as fish and small game lie nobodies business. I can't imagine a better all around knife than my old 102. Certainly not one with a gut hook. Never liked those things. If I ha to name the ultimate deer knife, my vote goes to the classic woodsman.

Carl.

20. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    Interesting,the one knife thats a classic that i've never even handled is a 102 woodsman,gonna be a roadtrip tomorrow now ya got my interest peeked,i've gotta have a woodsman.