Ultra Thin S35VN

It is basically S30v with some Niobium. Properly HT'd S30v is very good stuff when a knife is designed and used around its parameters.

Hmm. Then the steel ought to take a higher hardness but there would likely be a little added brittleness. Corrosion properties ought to stay about the same.

These are just guesses. I'm sure there is good industry data that will tell the true tale.

Hmm. Then the steel ought to take a higher hardness but there would likely be a little added brittleness. Corrosion properties ought to stay about the same.

These are just guesses. I'm sure there is good industry data that will tell the true tale.

I am sure I can get it a bit harder, but I at the expense of toughness. It seems to work right now so I don't really want to mess with the recipe. :D

Ban, that's less than one milimeter, you broke the metric barrier!

Yep, just a hair under 1mm ;)

I am sure I can get it a bit harder, but I at the expense of toughness. It seems to work right now so I don't really want to mess with the recipe. :D

Yep, just a hair under 1mm ;)

Heavens ... don't! It's clearly working just fine if the edge is holding up for you.

Hardness is great, but a knife's not much use if the toughness drops too much. I've got a sapphire knife in my collection -- made the sapphire myself (don't ask!!). An amazing edge but unbelievably brittle! If I look at it the wrong way I get a little concave chip. Really, the thing is just a curiosity.:)

Wow, I'm glad you didn't get hurt when it went flying. It is surprising that it just rolled and didn't chip, especially at that thinness. Looking forward to seeing that thing in action :D

Ban I have some of that same thin stock from Aldo and was thinking of having the HT done first then grinding....What do you think?

Larry

Ban I have some of that same thin stock from Aldo and was thinking of having the HT done first then grinding....What do you think?

Larry

Larry,

That actually isn't a bad idea. That will probably save you the grief of having to straighten things out after it is already ground thin. Hell it is already super thing to begin with. My stock was only .55 or so when I started. I was thinking about trying that out on the next one. Just have to grind very slowly with a fresh and sharp ceramic belt. Let me know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
Back