Umnumzaan Question

Is there a thread with info and pics about the zaan like "mnandi tru the years" ?

Not that I am aware of..but that could change any time.

Just purchased a second zaan and realized it was the very first batch of productions. Has the A-08 markings and found out they were released in 2008. Noticed a few differences btw my 2010 OP versions

2010 you say?
What exactly were you wanting to know?
The 2010 is, or should be too early for the LBS, but it should have the wider thumb release on the lockbar.
Have pics of what other differences you are talking about? 2010 is the last year I am missing on the OP's since production started and stopped.

The 2008 does not have the indent on the lockbar like my 2010. The lockbar is basically completely flat on inside.

Also noticed some smaller differences. The pivot itself on 08 has slighlty rouned edges vs the 10 having no rounded. Additionally the tiny part at center of pivot that sticks out is ever so slihtly smaller vs the 10. And of course the most noticable feature the female screw holding the barrel spacer is rounded like on the regulars and classics

My 08 has the trough cut on the lockbar
Weird-
On the pivot, there can be some slight variations. Mostly not intentional but tooling changes through batches..but I am going to guess that one of the previous owners broke the edges...or tried to refurb it themselves. Seen some posts where people use cordless drills and scotchbrite or sandpaper in an attempt to make them look new.
Also,..there is a chance that your 08 is not legit..but I would need to see the lockbar cutout area/relief to see if there is something there or not.
BUT, there is also a remote possibility that you have a unicorn of sorts that the trough wasn't put in on the lockbar.

It may be just the angle, but it also looks like the lockbar access on the 08 sticks out further than the 2010?
Is that true?

IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0969.JPG U got me worried now. U said counterfeit but i hardly doubt it. I have checked every angle

As per your request here is the cutout

Took a pic of both cutouts from different angle couldnt capture both in a single pic

Dont look at the diff color of handle or pivot they are same just dont have good lighting

IMG_0970.JPG The box looks shorter and wider too. Damn u now im gonna have to contact CRK to verify their authenticity

The handwriting on the birthcards is distinctive and have seen them before so doubt its counterfeit

Can someone please chime in and end my suffering. He put a thought in my head that now i cant sleep

Looks ok. There is a machining detail I haven't seen the couterfeiters put in yet and yours has it.

One other thing that is on the strange side with the 08 version.
The scales are marked A 08- Correct? The birthcard has it assembled in October- Not unheard of by no stretch of the imagination..
However, if this was the first run, the batches of scales should have been used up for dealers and individual orders very quickly so it would be hard to imagine that big of a difference in the date of the run and the birthcard on an intro knife.
One possibility is that the marked scale was held back because of the missing feature in the lockbar, but eventually got through the system.
FYI- Mine is also A 08 and it has the trough in the lockbar.

None of this means it's counterfeit at all..It just means that there are some unique aspects that I cannot identify as something that would have left CRK in that condition. Verification by pictures is not 100% accurate; For that, you would need to send it in for a spa treatment and have CRK authenticate. When it gets through the spa treatment and authentication process, then you may have a very unique knife.

TYVM need to send my large regular for spa anyways just hate cuz waited 3 months last time I sent 3 folders :((((

as far as A-08 and birthcard being October yup have seen that and even seen some with different slabs (A-XX and B-XX, etc)

Back