Uncle Bills Pride and Joy. Car enthusiast check it out!

Bawanna

Yangdu has kept this car all these many years due to the fond memories it provides. She now has reluctantly accepted that the car deteriorates if not used and pampered more often.
She said if she could drive it, she would probably keep it, truth be told I don't think she can see over the steering wheel. I've seen this car in person but it was under a car cover and at the time I didn't know the story behind it.
A little patience here. A description and then some pics.
This is a 1972 Chevy El Camino. Uncle Bill factory ordered this baby in 1972. It has a big block 402 (rare bird). It also has factory installed air conditioning.
There were only 100 of these cars made.
Randy drove it last week and his exact words were it drove like a Road King.
Ok, some photos from an ad that Steve Tall found months ago when this subject first came up. The wizard strikes again.

I have one more picture from the side but it don't want to download for some foolish reason.
If you have any questions etc, you can email Yangdu and she'll find you some answers.
She's asking $15,000 and I told her not to budge one thin dime. The El Camino was always one of my favorite cars. I would love to see this piece of HI history stay in the family. If I had legs, I'd be headed to Reno to pick it up and not posting this. Me and Steve Tall even talked about driving up to a khukri convention in it together. Uncle apparently loved this car and pampered it. I guess he was also into bicycles if memory serves.
Of course in true Yangdu style she intends to use the money to support the kami's children's education. Enjoy.

Edit to add- Yangdu has posted a short video of the car on her facebook page. My people don't think facebook is ready for me but my wife is on it, can't wait to get home and have her open it for me.

Man that is sweet! Worth every penny too! Thats a good year too. In 73 they started downsizing engines and putting all the emissions stuff on them. Cant believe it only has 21K miles. The colors are awesome too. Hate to see it leave the family but someone will be very happy to own that one! I know I sure would.

I don't know if it's 21k or 121k but either way it's way cool.

I'd love to give it a home myself but just to complicated with the chair and all.

WOW! I love those old Chevy's. DAMN they just don't make 'em like they used to. What is happening to the cars today. Built in obsolescence and all that.

Beautiful car. An underappreciated classic. I hope it goes to a good home where it's well cared-for.

I adore that car. I have a soft sport for 70s era chevies.

If I could swing it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

On my first visit to Reno I saw it under a car cover. I knew right off what it was (what kind of car it was). I didn't know it belonged to Yangdu.
Had I known I would have begged for a peek under the cover.
The last two visits I planned to do that begging but the car and me never seemed to be in the same place so I never got a good look.

She's a gem.

I got a look, but at the time it needed some work according to Randy, but it must be in ready to go condition now.

Sweet! We had the same color in a station wagon, not sure of the year... but close. If I had a spare 15K, I'd jump all over this.

I went camping with this one last weekend. Its my friends 66. Sweet ride. I always wanted one. I like the idea of tossing my surfboards in the back and going in a moments notice.

140c4b3447ff18b16c476e0e4ec46d84

Yangdu requested I add that the air conditioning in the El Camino currently is not working. Could be as simple as need Freon, could be anything.
She just wanted full disclosure. We all know how honest and full of integrity is. No exception when she sells cars I guess.

Isn't that the stuff they put in there to make the air conditioner condition.
Your scaring me dog, do I need that Ahlzeimers test after all?

I need some to get my car air conditioner working again. Trouble is, Free-on is misnamed. Should be Expensive-on. Luckily we only get a few really hot days around here, and if I drive fast enough the breeze cools me off.

There's a freon replacement for old car systems that used R-12 Freon called Freeze-12. Doesn't work quite as well as freon, but it lets you continue to use the existing system without replacing a bunch of parts.

Yep. R134A. The lubricants used in r12 systems are not compatible with r134A so that has to be considered too. You have to replace the dryer, seals, orifice and anything else that might go bad in the next ten years. Basically rebuild the system... and then "legally" reclaim the old r12 (assuming your licensed) in your special vacuumed reclaim canister. Then re-evacuate the system with your vacuum pump assuming you have one...then connect your manifold...assuming you have one, Then pressure it up with a dummy gas then if it dont leak down your good to go.... I might have missed something. Im pretty sure theres a comma splice there somewhere too:D. Nonetheless your good to go.
Another thing you can do is have somebody else that has all the equipment do it. Much easier and usually cheaper. I just happen to have the equipment since I live in Texas;) You can still get R12 (and R22 for your house or fridge) on the internet but you have to (supposed to) send them your license no. before they will ship. Likely it just needs a top off and it could last years more without doing anything else? Id put half a one pound in and if it dont work put the whole can in and if that dont work assuming the compressor comes on and cycles normally then it time for retrofit.
Dang I could prolly fix it if i was nearby? If anybody gets to run the car and can connect up to me we might be able to get it going again and save Aunti a bunch of money. There's a bunch of $10-15 easy fixes but somebody has to be there for tech support:)

Yep. R134A. The lubricants used in r12 systems are not compatible with r134A so that has to be considered too. You have to replace the dryer, seals, orifice and anything else that might go bad in the next ten years. Basically rebuild the system... and then "legally" reclaim the old r12 (assuming your licensed) in your special vacuumed reclaim canister. Then re-evacuate the system with your vacuum pump assuming you have one...then connect your manifold...assuming you have one, Then pressure it up with a dummy gas then if it dont leak down your good to go.... I might have missed something. Im pretty sure theres a comma splice there somewhere too:D. Nonetheless your good to go.
Another thing you can do is have somebody else that has all the equipment do it. Much easier and usually cheaper. I just happen to have the equipment since I live in Texas;) You can still get R12 (and R22 for your house or fridge) on the internet but you have to (supposed to) send them your license no. before they will ship. Likely it just needs a top off and it could last years more without doing anything else? Id put half a one pound in and if it dont work put the whole can in and if that dont work assuming the compressor comes on and cycles normally then it time for retrofit.
Dang I could prolly fix it if i was nearby? If anybody gets to run the car and can connect up to me we might be able to get it going again and save Aunti a bunch of money. There's a bunch of $10-15 easy fixes but somebody has to be there for tech support:)
ndog is that you on YouTube using a chakma as a flint striker? If so, I made a comment on your video asking you the same!

Back