Wetterlings axe fail....

It wasn't properly normalized before hardening and tempering. It was probably straight right up until it went into the quench tank. It's a do over for sure. Send it back.

FWIW, normalized and re-heat treated it could still make a fine axe.

It wasn't properly normalized before hardening and tempering. It was probably straight right up until it went into the quench tank. It's a do over for sure. Send it back.

FWIW, normalized and re-heat treated it could still make a fine axe.

Would you have to straighten it out before normalizing and hardening/tempering?

Of course. When you heat it to normalize you would straighten it then. Just bring it up to cherry red and then let it cool slowly in a bucket of sand, vermiculite or wood ashes - something insulative. Do it twice. Then heat treat.

Eeeeewww. Definitely should be replaced without any additional costs (ie shipping) to you. A QC slip for Wetterlings and a major oversight from the retailer. Just my opinion.

Eeeeewww. Definitely should be replaced without any additional costs (ie shipping) to you. A QC slip for Wetterlings and a major oversight from the retailer. Just my opinion.

Maybe they accidentally shipped one of their famous bowl-making axes.

Man that sucks. That would easily glance off if you were doing any shaping with it.

Maybe Wetterlings should start having their forgers put their initials on the heads...adds a degree of accountability don't you think?

I got a reply from Wetterlings CEO..

Dear Noneck,

I’m very sorry about that you got such a bad axe sample. That is not what it should look like at all, and must have slipped though the quality check department even though it absolutely not should have done so. We will replace you with a good sample. Where did you buy it? What did you pay for it? We will replace you with an axe or with money to buy a new axe, what do you prefer?

I think that is very good company..with good customer service.

They really do seem to care about what they do, so it's not surprising that their customer service is responsive. Good on them! :)

Make sure you use BOILED linseed oil. Boiled linseed oil is not actually boiled, but does contain Japan driers which permit it to cure hard in about 2 weeks. Other linseed oils don't cure. You don't want a handle that remains sticky and attracts dirt, do you? It will be absorbed into the wood (somewhat), cure and stay there, contributing to a tight head. Boiled linseed oil will produce a nice, soft, hand-friendly, water resistant finish.

"They really do seem to care about what they do, so it's not surprising that their customer service is responsive. Good on them!"
A company like Wetterlings stands or falls on its reputation. Quality is what it's all about. If they lose that, they'll be selling their axes for $15. Replacing a defective axe is nothing compared to losing their reputation for high quality (and good service). Not everything we can have will be top quality; one's axe can be. I have an older, heavier, rectangular-form SAW axe, and I love it.

I had a Fine Forresters that was bent like that. Fortunately the retailer that I bought it from paid for me to ship it back and they replaced it with a Les Stroud Bushman axe which was in much better shape.

Back