What are the Notable Knife laws in Indiana?

I'm looking to a Move from Pennsylvania to Indiana.

With the sudden Death of my long term live-in-Girlfrend in Mid-August (13AUG22) and that
of my father in Early March (03MAR22) My hanging onto my parents House is simply not possible.
(2022 is a year that makes me remember 2019, 2020 & 2021 with Nostalgia) I moved in here in 2009
to take care of my parents but my mother passed in 2015, and my father's continued decline was a struggle
Yvonne and I could have held on to it together, but without her, I simply cannot do it.

But a friend offered a place for all my Stuff.... (And for me as well as he is away much of the time, so I'd be house-sitting
and Herding the Porch Pirates somewhere else.
So, lacking the funds to do otherwise, like move to Wyoming to be close to my brother
(I don't get along with my Sister-in-Law anyway and considering my brother moved to Wyoming to escape
taking care of my parents...)
I am already aware that unlike Pennsylvania, Indiana is a "Constitutional Carry" state, (In regards to Firearms)
But what about knives?

Last edited:
Indiana's changed a lot over the years so I looked up the statutes just to be sure.
The weapon laws in general for the state are under Title 35, Article 47. What few knives laws there are left in the state are under Chapter 5 of that article. Hopefully this link works, but the state website is a little buggy: http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2022/ic/titles/035#35-47-5
Here's the relevant parts:
Section 2: No ballistic knives. No even to possess.
Section 2.5: No knives at schools or on school buses.
Section 12: No hira-shuriken aka "ninja stars." The statute literally calls them "Chinese Throwing Stars" so if you ever need evidence that some knife laws have racist undertones, here you go.

And that's it for IN's knife laws. Outside those, you can own and carry any knife you want. Local ordinances may apply, as the statute doesn't have preemption.

I have long regarded the idea of Throwing a knife to be stupidity of the lowest order and Throwing Stars to be no exception to this, I carry "Good" knives (if not particularly expensive ones like my Griptillion, on the Cold-Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter that's on my belt right now) But it would almost never make sense to throw a good knife at "trouble, best case is you lose it, worst case is you just handed it off to your opponent...?

Back