what are your thoughts on the Baryonyx Machete?

My impressions, having read the info on the site: You can certainly chop with the thinner, racing edge, but you will need to steer clear of knots in wood that might ding the edge. 1075 steel should pop back to its original factory condition with a fine file, ceramic stick, or a steel.

What are you planning to use it for that might steer you away from the fine edge?

Zieg

The "survival edge" if for the sort of fellow who's going to be indiscriminately slamming the edge into all sorts of knots, dirt, possibly striking rocks, etc. It's still going to get nicked up when hitting things like that, but with the damage being faster to iron out. Smash the edge of the stock version into a rock and you might get a lateral wrinkle in the edge and that means a lot of filing/grinding out to remove vs. us just grinding the edge back a little into the thicker part of the primary bevel in the first place to limit the leverage the edge puts on the rest of the bevel in such a catastrophic impact. For those who are more careful about where and how they swing need not worry about the edge holding up. :)

I have had a chance to use one of these twice now. Unbelievable.

A buddy of mine took the head off a deer with his in one swipe. He sent me the pics and it looks like it was cut with a laser. :D

Say you normally avoid rocks and chop between knots.

Careful or not, stuff happens. Is there any disadvantage to the survival edge?

Say you normally avoid rocks and chop between knots.

Careful or not, stuff happens. Is there any disadvantage to the survival edge?

Slightly diminished cutting performance. Still cuts like a demon though.

I love mine. The machete above is mine and I am the one in the video demonstrating the various uses on the Baryonyx website. If you want a one tool option for clearing brush I can't imagine anything better for the price. It is hefty but easy to get the hang of and makes short work of most anything. I love to use it around the yard. Cleaning up our garden of Sunflower stalks, cucumber, and zucchini plants was fun and easy.

My fiancรฉ and I bring it with us when we travel the various logging roads in Maine picking berries. It is really handy to cut a quick trail to the berries you want to pick without having to ease your way around all the thorns or whatever. The notch out front is also handy for pushing things you don't want to pick up out of your way.

The handle is really simple but quite effective. It is easy to switch from the main blade to the hook and back again. It also gives you leverage to help pull the big blade out of any wood that it has bitten deep into.

I believe I have the survival edge. I am pretty sure I got this before Ben was giving choices on the edge grind. I have chipped it near the tip but I hit a rock square on and the edge didn't glance off. It hit solid. I thought I was going to have a ripple or a big chip. I had a few little chips that with minimal work mostly came out. Once this gets a little more dull I will go over the entire edge and I think it will be a non issue.

The only word of caution I have is this. Please be careful with this thing. Be mindful of any over swings and make sure you are clear of people around you. It takes a little bit to slow this thing down after it cuts through something. it will not hesitate to take off toes or bite deep into whatever is in it's way.

If there are anymore questions feel free to let me know.

Jeremy

Last edited:
I just want to go on the record and state that this machete is 24ct. I got the standard "racing" edge because its lighter. I pretty much beat the crap out of this thing and it holds an edge great. Its still going strong cuts and chops like a beast. I let the weight of the tool do the work so my arm doesnt get tired easily. A lot of thought went into the design of this thing and it clearly shows in the field during use.

I highly recommend this tool if anyone is considering it.

Wow, that thing's a beast. That photo really puts it into perspective.

Well, yeah, when you put it like that, it looks impressive!

Wow much does it weigh?
Does it come with a wheel to attach to the end of the blade so when I hook it to my belt it doesn't drag on the ground?
My 9 & 6 suddenly have inadequacy issues they've never felt before.

Be worth it to have this thing, just for Bar Fights.

Just wow. That is why we need comparison shots.
That thing makes a Woodsman's Pal look like a butter knife.

Bumping up an oldie. Thinking seriously about getting one of these. Be great to have around the cabin. :thumbup:

Back