What do you have planned this year

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
Kinda slow around here so I thought I'd start a topic about activities for 2012. I really don't have much planned for the year other then my normal spring/summer groundhog hunting and looking forward to fall for deer hunting and Gosstoberfest. Hope to have a big attendance this year. What do you have going on this year?
Scott

MOre than usual...but still not a lot. In July will be spending a week in upstate New York at the father in law's place. It's a really nice cabin in the middle of nowhere without power so it's a fun but comfortable time outdoors. Then in August, going on a house boat trip.

And then of course looking forward to Gosstoberfest!

Also, been thinking. I finish school in the next month, and I was thinking about asking you and Dan (silenthunter) if you guys wanted to get together some time and just mess around with some blades. I've got a couple I could bring.

Working on the house, never ends! Hoping to take some time to go backpacking for a few days and also canoe tripping for at least a weekend. Getting out on the ocean in my sea kayak!

Collin, lemme know when!

I've got tons of day trips/weekend trips planned. Don't know if my current sh!tter will get me around to all of the different spots, but I plan on making it to:

-Gettysburg, check out the museum and maybe ride a bike through the battlefield (too fat to hike the entire field right now)

-Hamburg Cabelas/Hawk Mountain, probably an overnighter, just a day hike though at Hawk Mountain. Looks like a beautiful spot, I've heard it's a beautiful spot. Easy to get in, tough to get out (long walk down into the campsite, long walk up to the cars).

-I'd like to get up to South Mountain in PA, west of Chambersburg. My buddy and I have driven up there. Beautiful views.

-I just committed to a week in Ocean Sh!tty this year, when the family is going down. I plan on doing a lot of fishing, maybe even rent a canoe. Only problem is that Assateauge will probably be filled with skeeters, they sell shirts at the snack stand that say "I gave blood at Assateague", with a huge mosquito on the front. Plan on taking a day or two to visit Chincoteague and Crisfield, might run down to Norfolk/Virginia Beach.

-Want to spend a long weekend at Deep Creek lake.

-Washington Monument SP out near Bill Morans shop (pass it on Alt 40 coming out of Frederick). The Appalachian Trail cuts right through the park.

-Thinking about camping at Muddy Run park during the powwow this September. Not hardcore camping, but it would be fun to set up there.

-I'd like to make it down to Skyline Drive and Luray caverns. No camping involved, but lots of hiking and mountain vistas ;).

I plan to do alot more shooting !
I just got a brand new BCM M4
Carbine but I need a rear sight
I plan on keeping it as simple as
Possible all im adding is a VFG and a rear sight then im GTG
It will be zero'ed to 100 yards
As I think it will be the limit
To which I could shoot at the
Range plus as im in a city I don't
Think ill be shooting farther then
That in a urban setting in case the shit hits the fan ! What do
You guys think ?

Frank

I already got 200 rounds through my H&K
USP 45 Auto with no hiccups and 400
Rounds down the pipe in my Kahr cw40
With only two FTF's in 400 rounds which I
Think is pretty good ! But I need to brake in
My ruger redhawk in 44 mag it has a 8 inch
Barrel ! Any suggestions on loads for the 44
Mag ? Otherwise im thinking winchester white
Box,remingtom umc, and blazer are ok choices
For what I intend to do with them !

Frank

MOre than usual...but still not a lot. In July will be spending a week in upstate New York at the father in law's place. It's a really nice cabin in the middle of nowhere without power so it's a fun but comfortable time outdoors. Then in August, going on a house boat trip.

And then of course looking forward to Gosstoberfest!

Also, been thinking. I finish school in the next month, and I was thinking about asking you and Dan (silenthunter) if you guys wanted to get together some time and just mess around with some blades. I've got a couple I could bring.

Pick a day you guys want to come by (Thurs. Fri. or Sat.) and we can go to the camp area and bust up some wood. Got a bunch of it there.
Scott

WOW, Frank, sounds like you've been slinging some lead. I've had luck with most 44 mag ammo in my Ruger Blawkhawk. I did once own a Redhawk way back in the early 80's but sold it to by a TC Contender.
Scott

Scott,

Yes sir thats right ! I have a good time going to the range with the boys and
Letting the brass fall ... Next year tho
I want to get a 30-06 but dont know
What brand to get ! there is a gunsmith
In town that specializes in remington
Rifles and actions that I hear is real
Good and reasonable in price. I was
Talking to a guy from alaska who had
Him overhaul a 700 in 300win mag that
That owner said was a pos before and
Now is a laserbeam and has taken a lot
Of brown bear and caribou with it !

Frank

You can't beat a Remington model 700 action. Some of the best rifles are built around the 700 action. I have two Rem model 700. A 25.06 cal. Classic and a Varminter in 308 cal.
Scott

I plan to:

Change jobs.

Get back into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Learn how to hunt from this bearded guy I know who makes knives.

-Stan

Well for me it is going to have to get used to being retired after working since I was 12 years old.My future son-in-law is very much a go getter.He came over and fixed my old Johnson 9.5 horse outboard motor from 1965.Thing runs like a dream.He completely re hauled it.He says if I am retired I have to fish if for nothing more than getting out of the house. I plan on hunting as much as this ragged old body will let me and going to get back into handgun hunting.Hard thing is after being off work for a year I still dream I have to go to work.Half the time I get up panicking I am running late for work.

I plan to:

Change jobs.

Get back into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Learn how to hunt from this bearded guy I know who makes knives.

-Stan
See you next Friday bro. Call me Weds evening if you get a chance.
Mike, I know it's been a tough road but take advantage of the time you'll have. I wish I could retire and devote more time to knifemaking and afield. I think I could sell more knives if I could spent more time with the business. I just can't afford to travel to the different knifeshows especially the Blade show. Also the different big wilderness survival gatherings. I work 6 to 7 days a week between both jobs just to keep the bills paid. I hope I can retire from Giant in 2 years when I turn 55.
Scott

Scott you are correct! I need to take advantage of the extra time.It is so weird when you are working you dream of retiring and then when it happens you seem lost.It has been a hard road to get this retirement.I have pledged to myself that I am going to spend as much time in the outdoors as I can handle with the pain. Hoping to get a bear tag this year. I have a spot that I can shoot a bear between 350 to 400 lbs.It is behind my buddy's dads house.He always have big bears behind his house in the swamp.

Scott best of luck to you to be able to retire in 2 years.As you know mine was a medical retirement. At 44 I had 24 years in law enforcement.

Bigcountry hope you get that bear tag. My dad's got a good friend in MI that's talked him into applying for a bear tag. He's applied enough times that I think this year or next he's supposed to get a tag.

I've bought a couple IH Scout II's and plan to finish putting the two together into one this year (hopefully).
This body
IMG_8842.jpg

on this drivetrain
IMG_8646.jpg

The normal plans for turkey and deer hunting. I am going to try and fish some this year and go frog gigging (which has been years since I've been). Try and do a little more camping than in the past too. Of course I need to get a bunch of stuff done around the house, but keep putting it off. Gonna plan on coming to Gosstoberfest too, hope it works out.

Get my shoulder healed up from surgery
Leave the army after 15year
Find a job
go to blade show

Hagerstown knife show this weekend. Looks like it will warmer out there, than at home. I like cool nights in the mountains, but that cold to begin with! 62, it'll be 59 back home.

Last edited:
Might get the chance to take my UNK out on the Chesapeake next month. Would like to see what the lower bay brackish water does to the 440C blade. Cut bait, line etc with it.

hey scott, et al. don't hang out here often, but happened to catch your post. and, as you said then...it's a slow night, so figured i'd say hi. uhhh...hi.

have my annual fly fishing trip to greenville, ME in june. other than that...not much planned. i'll have to head back home (coastal mass) to hang out, drink and go striper fishing, per usual. and, like KYturkey said...i'd like to go camping more this year

gonna try hunting this year too. always been a big fisherman, but i've been talking about going hunting for 10 years...maybe longer. think i'm gonna finally do it. my buddy has already agreed to take me. deer. partridge. maybe duck. heck, i'll try it all and see what i like. whatever he is willing to teach me, really.

Gosstoberfest, huh? do tell. heck, it's only about 9 hours away, but i'm a sucker for a good road trip. what's the plan? got any pics from years past?

thanks.
-todd

Back