What do you think of MicroTech knives

I've noticed several threads about manufactured knives such as Spyderco and Benchmade, but don't see any mention of MicroTech.

I have several Spyderco knives and they are all excellent knives. I have a MicroTech mini socom and it is very well made and came hair popping sharp.

I was just wondering how others compare MicroTech to the other popular makers.

Peter

Microtech makes great knives, although most of their designs do not appeal to me. I have a LCC, and it is beautifully executed. Incredible fit and finish, equal to my William Henry Spire. The only knife I own that is better put together is my Sebenza.

I like Microtech a lot for a production knife company. I am not into too many of their autos and OTF knives. But all in all they make a better knife than companies like Benchmade and Spyderco. I think they are close to a Sebenza or Strider but not quite there .... yet. They don't get as much mention because they are a smaller company and rarer then some of the big names like Spyderco and they dropped knife production for the past couple of years to produce a rifle which is first rate. After concentrating on their MSAR rifle production I think they are supposed to be gearing back up for knife production again.

I only have this '98 SOCOM M/A, in Mircotech and it's a flawless knife. Has no visible imperfections, finished very well and it's tight, liner lock is thicker than any knife I own. I've always liked it a lot and it's worth a lot more than it cost new now.
210ds7l.jpg

Same deal. I've looked at what they have to offer, and at their price point, there are a lot of other knives I'd rather have.

Plus, they don't have all that much of a selection to choose from, from what I've seen. Unless you're int he market for an auto or a "hardcore" tactical knife...

MicroTech alienated a lot of their customers when they would make a limited # of a knife model then a few yrs later make the same model. This would devalue the secondary market. I also remember buying the Krestal model when it 1st came out then a couple of yrs later they lowered the price. I have'nt bought a MicroTech since the early 2000's so I don't know how they are now but the one's I have are 1st rate. When MicroTech started in the 90's their auto's were the gold standard. I've got 4 folders from them and all of them are top notch.

Good information. Thanks.

My only one is the mini socom and I thought it was a better made knife than the Benchmade or Spydercos that I have handled.

I would agree that not much else they make appeals to me for the price, compared to the other knives available.

Peter

Peter

Very nice knives. Overpriced. Lots of customer service issues. The company does not run efficiently. Lots of sales deception. LA..LA...LA....The list goes on.:rolleyes:

I only have this '98 SOCOM M/A, in Mircotech and it's a flawless knife. Has no visible imperfections, finished very well and it's tight, liner lock is thicker than any knife I own. I've always liked it a lot and it's worth a lot more than it cost new now.
210ds7l.jpg

I'd be way happy to own that knife ;)

I've had a LCC, mini Socom, and a Medallion... The LCC actually taught me that I'm a big guy, and I should have a big knife.. so I got a Lg Sebenza, and put my sm. in the drawer. I REALLY REALLY used to place the mini Socom at the top of the "bang for buck" list... they could be had for $100, and they were flawless. Now, I believe that Benchmade and Spyderco have caught up with the production quality of Microtech... plus they are known for WAAAY better customer service. If I had the chance to pick one up on the cheap, I'd certainly entertain buying a M/A Socom (Lg).

i dealt with MT CS just a few weeks ago and while it took a few weeks it all went just fine.

MT is pretty good, most still seem to have great F&F, a lotta the designs are getting old though (ie the SOCOM) and they have disco'd some of the better ones (ie the LCC) and they were alwasy overpriced a little,

i still think for autos though, no one can hold a candle to MT, not production autos anyway, but for manuals there is better/cheaper stuff around nowadays.

People stopped talking 'bout their knives because they were rather busy with MT's Small Arms Research.
-http://www.msarinc.com/about.html
Guess the prolonged war on terror had everybody's sights redirected elsewhere.
But coming back to their knives; they were excellent.
And might I add built to such a high tolerence that it cannot but remain a proud investment for many.
And with the "credit crunch" thingy as a stark reminder about prudent spending, it would be amazing for any company targeting to sell their high end material at last year's prices.

i still think for autos though, no one can hold a candle to MT, not production autos anyway, but for manuals there is better/cheaper stuff around nowadays.

Iv only got MT autos and they are all pretty good.
There manual knives appear to be good as well but Id rather spend my cash else where for manual knives.

Knives a side I have heard only bad things all but once or twice about CS and general treatment of customers.
I have a few friends who were fizzing after trying to talk to them on the phone about problems with OTF knives.

I was just wondering how others compare MicroTech to the other popular makers.

Peter

Their OTFs are second to none. Their auto side openers are awesome as well. Look at the Terz. I owned 3 of them and they were 'custom' level in quality/fit and finish. Some even said that they were nicer than knives made by Terzuola himself. Never had a manual MT. Sorry Benchmade(luv em) and Spyderco(I'll pass) but IMO you're not up to MT level.

I have a Microtech mini-UDT, it is the highest quality knife I have ever held. The lockup is hard to describe, the machining and tolerance fit is unbelieveable.

People stopped talking 'bout their knives because they were rather busy with MT's Small Arms Research.
-http://www.msarinc.com/about.html
Guess the prolonged war on terror had everybody's sights redirected elsewhere.
But coming back to their knives; they were excellent.
And might I add built to such a high tolerence that it cannot but remain a proud investment for many.
And with the "credit crunch" thingy as a stark reminder about prudent spending, it would be amazing for any company targeting to sell their high end material at last year's prices.

i dont know how much research ya have to do to come out with a AUG, maybe buy a copy of "small arms of the world" lol?

i have had several MT manuals and they have all been great knives, imho one of the better productions ever was the LCC, in auto or manual form, ya know after thinking i have hads a lot more manuals vs autos, another good one is the SOCOM elite in auto or manual form, std or mini too.

I have a couple Socom Elites in S90V from a 2005-6 run of 300 each PE and CE. Fit, finish, grind and lockup are excellent. The liner lock is one of the best I've ever seen. They come pretty tight and need to break in. Heat treat on the S90V as well as finish on the blade is excellent. Joe

Back