what happened to CPM 440v

I have always wanted a spyderco military looks like ill be waiting a little longer

Knife nut, Edge holding on CPM S90V is the strong point if the heat treat is right. It is best at RC 60/61, The only steel that I have found that is noticeably better is CPM 10V but you give up the stain resistance with that one. Impact toughness (Charpy) is not the strong point but it is fine in bending. It can be used to make some very thin high hardness flexible blades like paring knives or fillet knives. You won't see many factory knives with this steel due to the heat treating requirements and problems with grinding and finishing. Spyderco is one of the few I know of. PHIL

You won't see many factory knives with this steel due to the heat treating requirements and problems with grinding and finishing. Spyderco is one of the few I know of. PHIL

Microtech did a small run of S90 SOCOM Elite's back in 2003, I believe.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

If Phil Wilson reads this, or anybody else who might know I've got a question. Has anybody run any testing on steels like S125V, or any of the super high speed steels like the REX 76/121 line? Just curious as to where the ball has stopped. I know of one guy using T1 on his customs so I know there are some maniacs out there with the willingness to use uncommon steels. Not long ago S90V was a steel that was inconcieveable. Who knows where we'll be in 5 or 10 years. Joe

Joe, I have made two knives from CPM S125V, It is on the edge of what is practical to make a knife out of with the tools I have. The finished hardness was RC 66. The problem is it is very hard to sharpen even with a diamond stone or SC stone. Its like 25% or more total carbide. It does hold an incredible edge and is in the same category as CPM 10V or 15V. It is stainless as well. I have enough material to make several more knives but would rather hit my thumb with a hammer. If anyone wants to try this steel, Scott Devana at Crucible has some.

I had a Native in 440V, didn't like it one bit. Got a Millie in 440V, loved it (still mad I sold it). Great knife all around. I don't know if the person I bought the Native from put a bad edge on it, they were bulk packed for this particular run.

Thank you Phil. I guess that for now, we are where we are going to be for awhile. We've reached some kind of practical limit. When you start talking about how you'ed rather hit your finger with a hammer it inclines me to think we sure won't see any production knives made out of it. Thanks again, Joe

I usually don't like to bring back threads that are sooo old BUT a friend of mine asked me something and I didn't know the answer. I did some research here in BF but couldn't quite find it either.

Our problem is this:
We are going to make an order from an internet store (we are in Spain, keep that in mind) and he is between two folders (I am ordering some BRKT's).
Boker Titan III Titanium Handle Knife $58.95
Boker CPM440V Titanium Handle Knife $79.95

As you can see they both have the same overall shape and lenght (well, to be fair one has a thum stud and the other doesn't). The main difference is in the steel (duh...). After all the research I found out that 440V is a better steel (for folders I mean, seems to lack impact resistance due to high alloy content) but in this very same post I read that the heat treat can ruin it. Too hard and it will chip. Left soft it will roll. According to the listed specs the 440V steel is hardened to 56/57 Rockwell (too soft maybe?).

So the question is:
Is it worth it to spend the extra money and get the 440V? Will it perform like $20 better? I am being fair telling my friend to spend a little bit more?

Help me out here guys! We want to make that order tomorrow!

Mikel

I would say get the one in 440c, I think 56-57Rc is a little too soft to get any big improvements over 440c. Plus it will be much easier to sharpen. YMMV.

...Plus it will be much easier to sharpen. YMMV.

I think I will follow that advice... since I will probably be the chosen one who gets to sharpen it. My friends are just getting into knives and I am the only one who owns any kind of sharppening equipment besides a Carborundum oval shaped stone. And trust me, I don't have that much of equipment either (Carborundum stone, two sided coarse-fine stone, a littel worn out diamond plate and a Sharpmaker)... I am convexing about everything at home just to be able to keep them sharp with the minimum tools (I like convex edges as well, it is just not only the money!).
Thanks BJE!
Mikel

Back