What is your favorite Lock?

I know the lock topic has been tossed about plenty, but we are on the verge of picking a new lock for future models. Just for reference what is your favorite lock and why. (Liner, Frame-Lock, Axis Lock, Rolling Lock, Lockback, Etc.)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

In a slim gentleperson's knife with a working class price, there's nothing wrong with an "old-fashioned" ambidextrous lockback.

There are a bunch of liner locks among my favorite folders, but it's a mechanism that can go from very good to awful if some dimension or angle is "off" by just a mili-smidgenth of an inch. You have to get the ball-bearing detent just right, between thumb-busting and edging open in your pocket. And you have to get that lockup just-so, not too far over, but not slipping off when one of us nit-pickers gives it a spine-whack, clinging to the tang, but not binding. Delicate balancing act.

A frame lock is a species of liner lock, where the "liner" is also the handle, and the locking finger is about as thick as the tang. It can be "bank-vault" strong, and there are few places for gunk and grit to get in and jam things or just fester, and it has an elegant simplicity. Apparently "getting it right" looks simpler thatn it is, so factory frame locks with working-class prices are still in the experimental stage. Both Benchmade and Columbia River have done it better the second time around than they did the first time with their frame-lock models, and we look forward anxiously to the production Paragee, whose first prototype showed some of the subtle difficulties of translating the concept into a factory knife.

I've been using a Spyderco prototype Compression Lock for a while now, and I like it. For your thumb or fingers, it works like an upside-down liner lock, and I've had to learn a motion or two that isn't intuitive to do one-hand openings and closings. As with a liner lock, it can be smooth or sticky. Mine happens to be a bit on the sticky side, but other specimens at the Blade Show were smooth. It's very simple, with the locking piece comes in sideways between the tang and the stop-pin, and seems to be immune to spine-whacking by anybody this side of King Kong. It's a small ramp and not a ball-bearing detent keeping the blade inside the handle in the closed position, but it feels like a good ball-bearing detent, and like a liner lock it wants to be carried in the tip-down position. Using it in other brands of knife would presumably require some agreement with Sal Glesser.

My current favorite folder action to use is the Benchmade Axis Lock. Smoooooth! The thumb push is very easy - the easiest in my collection for introducing non-knife people to the concept of one-hand opening. The two omega springs pull the blade back into the handle the way a backspring does, so it can ride tip-up or tip-down. The lock-up is extremely strong, again in the King Kong range. It's ambidextrous, and one nice feature is that you can close the knife without putting any of your digits even momentarily or theoretically in harm's way. You would be amazed how fearful non-knife people can be of closing a lock-blade folder, though they routinely get in and out of cars without slamming the door on their fingers. Get the motion right, and the handle just sucks the blade back in - Snap! And then there's the politically incorrect way you can open it, using the lock release instead of the thumb-stud, and gently rocking your hand backwards. Don't do that in front of authority figures, and use the thumb stud under stress because the flip method requires a little timing in your thumb.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Here is my top four list based entirely on the knives I have owned. I have no experience with button locks, Spyderco's new lock or the Rolling Lock from REKAT.

4) Liner Lock - The only reason I like this one less than the standard lock back is that they are so hard to get right. When they're done right they're great - strong, easy to use, difficult to defeat, don't affect the ergonomics of the handle and are not too susceptible to fouling. Excellent examples are the Starmate from Spyderco (one of my favorites) and the Outdoor Edge / Darryl Ralph Impulse (my other full sized favorite). This type of lock always confounds a newby which can be embarassing for them when they borrow it the first time.

3) Lock Back - Hard to get these wrong. There's something satisfying about the "snick" of a mid lock or lockback locking into place. Some designs can be unlocked one handed and just about any non-knife person knows or can figure out how to unlock one. For heavy use knives I prefer the lock in the back rather than the middle as it's possible to inadvertently release a mid lock with the wrong grip (although this seems to vary widely not only based on the the design of the handle but also the person using the knife).

2) Axis Lock - Nice lock, Benchmade has a winner if you ask me. I know they're stronger than frame locks but so far I haven't come across a model that I really connect with. The Mel Pardue collaboration is probably my favorite - smooth, strong and very comfortable. But, one's taste in knives is very personal and so far BM's lineup just doesn't push my buttons (as the saying goes).

1) Frame Lock - Here's another one that has to be done right in order to work. But, when they're done right it's just incredible. They exhibit all of the positive qualities of the liner lock only more so. They're simpler than any other lock that I know of - no extra moving parts, springs or liners, just the blade and two handle slabs.
smile.gif
While technically they're not as strong as the Axis (or Rolling?) Lock, they're easily strong enough for 99.9% of the applications you'll ever need a folder for. At the top of my list (again, based on the knives I've owned) is the Sebenza. I also like BM's little 330 which I would probably put in the frame locking category. I'm anxious to get my hands on CRKT's S-2, the BM 750 and OE's up and coming Paragee.

Jon

[This message has been edited by Ghecko (edited 08-10-2000).]

My vote goes for the Frame-Lock. When done right its exceptionally strong. It's also very easy to clean and keep clean.

Garrett

------------------
The Bitterness Of Poor Quality Remains Long After The Sweetness Of Low Price Is Forgotten

Axis. All the way.

I respect Outdoor Edge's liner locks. They have been better than my other brands. But, I have become somewhat disenchanted with the lock overall. It's not an automatic no-buy, but I dislike the way they wear over time.

Phil

Integral Bar Lock. For simplicity and reliability.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

My personal favorite is the axis lock. It is great feelin and extremely strong. Plus it allowes for extremely easy opening and closing.

I also love a good liner lock, but they can go either way. A bad liner lock can ruin a great knife. I love my BM 350, the liner is loose enough that it can easily be opened by a small snap of the wrist, but it holds securely.

Has anyone considered a spring-loaded LAWKS? One where the LAWKS trips forward the moment the blade is open and the linerlock gets clear to allow the LAWKS to engage.

Picture a CRKT LAWKS system, with a coil spring attached to the base of the LAWKS button and going forward...tension would be set to constantly "pull the LAWKS button forward".

I mean...ya, it would need TWO motions to close the blade. You'd have to release the LAWKS switch to the rear with the side of your forefinger, and trip the liner with your thumb. But it'd be strong, smooth, fast and reliable
smile.gif
. Just slow on the close, no biggie.

For low-end pieces like the CRKT KFF or would-be competitors, it'd be perfect.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim March (edited 08-23-2000).]

Lockback. Preferably the mid lock type that can be opened and closed so easily with one hand. I have a frame lock on the way that I'm anxious to try out. I know it will be stronger but I still think I'll like the lock back better for its convenience. And spyderco has just proved with its new line of tactical folders that a lock back can be super strong. So if you ask me its still the best.

------------------
It'll feel better when it stops hurting.

I really like the axis lock, but would be surprised if benchmade will let anyone else use it. As far as locks that are readily available to different manufacturers I prefer the framelock and lockback. Seems that liner locks can be finicky.

Back