What knife do you take into the woods?

usualy a few of these or a cs trail master bowie
100_0583.jpg

Victorinox Farmer (blade for general chores, can opener for food, bottle opener for a beer, saw for shelter building, reamer for sewing thick materials and a keyring for keepin' it with me... good stuff :) )

Buck 110 if i want a stout slicer.

Lately it has been a SOG Seal Pup Elite with plain edge and a VIC Soldier. Might have the SOG Twitch II along too as I just got it. It is still fun to mess with.

i always bring my sak champ, my 14 khukuri and my utility hatchet and on the odd occassion my smith and wesson powerglide tanto just for fun

I work in the bush 300+ days of the year (geophysics/mineral exploration). I have an old beat-up Cold Steel Master Hunter that goes everywhere with me, it's indestrucable, holds an edge, and is super secure in it's sheath (it's never fallen out). I use it to chop trees and branches when clearing heli-pads at the end of the day, and can still chop tomatoes with it when cooking in camp at night. The steel is high-carbon so it rusts and doesn't look pretty after the 12+ years I have been carrying it, but overall a great companion in the woods.

I have just bought several Helle knives after working in Norway and I am very impressed, namely the Nying (small) and the Jegermeister (large), beautiful knives that perform. The Nying has tri-laminated steel; razor steel sandwiched between stainless, the easiest sharpening knife I have. Highly recommended. A great deal for a handmade/handground fixed blade knife.

I also never go to work without my Leatherman Supertool. If my pack isn't too heavy I will also carry a mid-size Estwing or Sandvik/Bahco axe.

becker bk7, kabar short bowie, modified ontario 6" butcher knife, kabar warthog --- one or two of these are usually with me.

Could you describe the modified butcher knife? and I have thought the kabar warthog would be a stout knife, have you been pleased with its performance?

I usually take a Ranger RD7, along with my EDC pocket knives, which normally amounts to either a Spydie Native or a BM Vex (sometimes both); a Wenger Handyman; and an Opinel #8.

Ranger RD7. As you can tell, I use it a lot.

Next time I go out, I'll take my new custom from Justin Gingrich:

Sorry, this is the best picture I have of it at the moment.

ashtxsniper's picture pretty much says it all. I carry a couple of different knives out in the $hit, but theres one in his picture, that can do someting most other high speed 'cool guy' knives cant.... and thats pound. Theres not a lot of knives out there still utilizing a solid cap pommel. Something that could be VERY useful, if youre in the woods involuntarily.
I usually carry an ontario TAK 4" blade with green handle, a camillus M3 trench knife, an issue camillus airforce survival knife, a traditional issue, brown Ka-Bar USMC fighting/utility knife, or a glock green field knife.
And in my pocket, (in the woods) would always be a victorinox locking blade 'trailmaster'. The most useful knife you'll ever carry.
Usually these two.
kabar.jpg
[/IMG]
myglock.jpg
[/IMG]

I carry a Cold Steel Vaquero, if I'm going into the ghetto (any city). I carry a large fixed blade like a Gryphon 7.5" Combat/Utility, RAT-7, Ka-Bar Marine Combat, RTAK, Ont. Survival Bowie, Cold Steel Kukri, Gerber Utility Bowie, Western Bowie, Collins #18 Bowie, Case Bowie, or Ontario 12" machete if I'm going into the big woods. I usually also carry a small fixed blade as well (sealpup, NW ranger, RAT-3, AF Survival). If I'm going out at night near any high risk area, I carry a Bagwell Gambler Bowie and a S&W Airweight .38 spl with Mag safe ammo. Sometimes I pack a Mossberg pistol grip 20 ga with #3 buckshot in my Jeep. I try to avoid cities as much as possible. I always carry my SAK Trekker in addition to the above. I lived in a high-crime area for fourteen years before becoming a refugee to my little island on the Georgia coast. A gun beats a sword, a sword beats a knife, a long knife beats a short one.

Just an old kook with a kukri. Armed, dangerous, and off my medication.

i suppose all you'd really need was that .38 special lol. What do you guys think about the CS ti-lite as an urban self defence weapon?

Always a Buck 112/110, Vic Farmer or OHT. and Spirit.
For FB, a Grohmann #1,3, or 4; sometimes a Buck 192.

The Western and one of these, Leather handled Hattori or Fallkniven, or Puma with desert ironwood handle,

small fixed (F1, rat-3,brkt skinner, or the like), large fixed (one of the Beckers, rat-7, battle rat, or the like), and Vic trekker or hiker. Most of the time, the actual carry is:EDC 551 grip in right pocket, EDC Native in left pocket (these because I usually have them on me anyway), Fallkniven F1 in a survival sheath chest rig, Vic hiker in pack, and Scrapper 6 lashed to pack. That hasn't varied for the last six months or so.

My fixed blade is my BK-10 , I also carry my cold steel pro hunter & my sak soldier for my pocket knives! In the sheath of my BK-7, I have my GERBER multi tool :D I think these would cover any task for me

Back