Recommendation? What should my next EDC knife be?

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about a few knives I would like to add to EDC collection. I cant make up my mind though! I like knives that are functional and I will not hesitate to use them, so here is what I came up with. --$200 budget

Spyderco Paramilitary 2
Benchmade 940
Cold Steel Code 4
Buck Marksman
Spyderco Tenacious G10
ZT 0808
Ontario Rat 2
H&K
14715SBK-1
Have any other recommendations?​

Which of these should be the next addition to my collection? If not these do you guys have any I need to get my hands on? (PS I dont like plastic and I like solid knives :) )

As always, thanks guys!

PM2 would be my recommendation. It was the knife that really sparked my knife buying habits. The compression lock is the bomb. I also really dig the 940-1 as it carries extremely well, its super light, big blade in a relatively small package, and the S90V can really hold an edge. However, they are well known to have issues with F&F (blade play especially, could be dull from the factory, etc.)

I find small ZT(less than 3.5" bladed) knives have uncomfortably small handles. The tenacious is not in the same league as the PM2; it's quality for the price, but I couldn't bear to look at mine once I got a PM2.

I would also add the Cold Steel American Lawman to the list, but only the latest version with the new grind. The old grind made the cutting edge shorter than the PM2 in an overall size bigger than the PM2. I actually prefer it over the PM2 because of the stronger blade tip. If the Code 4 came with the same handle material, I would recommend it too. As it is the Code 4 handles are too slippery. That problem can be "fixed" with some friction tape but that is not optimum IMHO.

I have been using and testing a CH CH3001 for a few months now and I have to say it has become my favorite EDC. It truly is an EDC for me as it can fit into almost any situation and I don't feel like I left capability back at home just to have a knife that fits into a specific social setting.

Last edited:
I have a ton of awesome knives, but I always find myself gravitating back to one of my Para 2s or one of my 940s.
They are both extremely well made EDCs from 2 of the best companies out there.
They are also 2 of the best 'fondlers' out there with very original locking systems.
Both extremely fun knives.
Joe

Id look at the PM2 and 940 off that list great light weight easy open and close folders for a great EDC.

of the knives you listed I would go PM2 ... I would say the BM 940 is a great knife but buy from a reputable dealer that will open and check for any issues before buying as there have been QC issues brought up lately.

If you like solid knives ... I'd steer you to check out the ZTs ... whatever models you like they are built a bit stouter.

Just depends what your use needs are and what appeals most to you.

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about a few knives I would like to add to EDC collection.

What do you do with your knives on a day-to-day basis?

Do you harvest mushrooms daily? If so, this Opinel Mushroom Knife would be a great must-have

rbswTXf.jpg

Not knowing what you do with your knives, all I can confidently suggest is buy the one you think looks the coolest.

Looking at your list I figured the 940 and Para Military 2 would get the most replies. They are great knives so it is not a surprise. I would still recommend the ZT0808. You said you like really solid knives. Out of the knives listed the 808 is the most solid. The full ti polished backspacer and the full ti scales make for a sleek look but give a good feel in the hand for the size. The blade is thick but cuts really well and they come stupid sharp right out of the box.

Ok guys, at this point I think I'm between the PM2, 940, and 0808. Thanks for all of your responses so far! I really appreciate it :) Thanks again!

Last edited:
I effing love Cold Steel! I personally suggest a CS Recon 1. I own four versions of that model.
XL in Aus-8A
Standard sized clip point in Aus-8A
Standard size in carpenter steel (I adore that knife!)
Micro in Aus-8A (of the 50+ CS products I own that's the only one that I funny
Dont love. Shit heat treat but a fluke I'm sure).
I have handled both the PM2 and the BM osbourne 940 but haven't owned either yet.
The PM2 appeals to me slightly more than the 940. I believe I read recently that you want to check Cold Steel for the first time. Give them a shot my friend!

Of the group you mentioned, my personal choice would be the 0808. For a small knife, the handle is quite comfortable. It was a must have for me as soon as I saw it
Second choice would be the Benchmade 940, with the PM2 pulling up in 3rd

Ok guys, so what makes the Para Military 2 SO special. To me it just seems like any other G10 Spyderco. What sets it apart from the 0808 and 940? To me, for a knife to be special there has to be something unique and nice about it. Like the 0450 and its beautiful design and smoothness. What is special about the PM2? Not trying to hate, just asking why this knife is being recommended over the 940 and 0808.

Probably people have different answers but to me, it's a fun knife to play with. It flicks open quick and easy but the lock is very quiet, which keeps it from being annoying to play with. The compression lock is also unique, strong, and fun to play with on its own. The thumb ramp and handle are also comfortable.

I do wish the handle was a little bigger (big hands) and the blade was a lot longer.

Ok guys, so what makes the Para Military 2 SO special. To me it just seems like any other G10 Spyderco. What sets it apart from the 0808 and 940? To me, for a knife to be special there has to be something unique and nice about it. Like the 0450 and its beautiful design and smoothness. What is special about the PM2? Not trying to hate, just asking why this knife is being recommended over the 940 and 0808.

The PM2 for me is hard to explain I'm not a huge fan of Syderco and the PM2 handle being longer with the shorter fine tipped blade never appealed to me ... but I bought a Spyderco Native 5 that I loved and still do ... so next chance I had to handle the PM2 it surprised me how well it fit my hand in any grip ... the ergos are amazing ... and its nearly as smooth to open as some of my higher priced knives ... and it is a great cutter ... performs way better then I thought it would ... it kind of grew on me and now I have two.

I still prefer a bit beefier knife like many of the ZTs without going into the $300.00 + range ... but the PM2 is alot of bang for the buck.

I don't carry mine hardly at all but its used at home often ... Ive heard similiar stories of people not being fans but then they get ahold of one and end up loving it.

I prefer the ZT bigger heavier knives and then jump into Hinderers and Chris Reeves but I can't deny how good the PM2 is.

Compression lock is very unique. Blade shape is awesome. Comes in a bunch of flavors. And sal. JMO.

Back