What watch do you wear?

20240417-114138.jpg

I looked at a model similar to this one because I do like orange and the crown position seems nice, but in the end the diver style with a bezel ring isn't really for me and I prefer a dial with numerals for an everyday general purpose watch.
That one sure is nice looking though.
I don't know why but I tend to favor the classic A11 inspired field watch aesthetic.

Last edited:
I love Seiko watches and have a few.
DSC026661200m0.JPG
I respect Seiko as a company for the scope of the innovation and the breadth of the technology they developed and offer.

As much as Swiss brands have advanced mechanical watch movements it was Seiko to break the limits of the watch making and it continues.

On December 25, 1969, Seiko released the world's first quartz watch and in even stronger move they did not monopolize the invention and opened patents for others to follow.
then they follow up with:
  • 1st LCD watch,
  • 1st multifunctional watch
  • 1st twin quartz for accuracy in different temperatures
  • Seiko Kinetic
  • Seiko Spring Drive
all of this while they still continued their focus on the mechanical movements to meet and exceed the accuracy of a Swiss COSC chronometer.

I can't think of any other watch company or corporation who did this much wrt out of the box thinking and who has developed so many new technologies for the device as simple as a wrist watch.

I can only think about two inventions Seiko did not do:
1. Solar powered watch invented by Roger W. Riehl who called his invention the Synchronar 2100 and
2. Citizen who was 1st with the multi-band Radio Controlled/Atomic Timekeeping watch.

Here are the watches I have
DSC05738800.JPG
IMGP0002900.JPG
DSC055991400.JPG

It was interesting to compare the famous Seiko Lume I love to my beloved Citizen HAQ watch that is much dimmer. However, it holds it's ground.
Here is a comparison I did between my Seiko SBTM159 and my Citizen AQ6020-53x which highlights two different approaches to the Lume.

Here goes.
Both fully charged at 7pm
DSC062331080.JPG

30 mins later. Seiko is obviously on the right.
DSC062341080.JPG

and about 2 hours later
DSC062361080.JPG
As you can see Seiko is gone in about 2 hours, while the Citizen is still going. In fact it is good for 6 hours or so.
To me this is a clear win for the Citizen, if you intend to use the watch in the dark for extended periods of time.

View attachment 2553764
I respect Seiko as a company for the scope of the innovation and the breadth of the technology they developed and offer.

As much as Swiss brands have advanced mechanical watch movements it was Seiko to break the limits of the watch making and it continues.

On December 25, 1969, Seiko released the world's first quartz watch and in even stronger move they did not monopolize the invention and opened patents for others to follow.
  • 1st LCD watch,
  • Seiko Kinetic
  • Seiko Spring Drive
all of this while they still continued their focus on the mechanical movements to meet and exceed the accuracy of a Swiss COSC chronometer.

I can't think of any other watch company or corporation who did this much wrt out of the box thinking and who has developed so many new technologies for the device as simple as a wrist watch.

1. Solar powered watch invented by Roger W. Riehl who called his invention the Synchronar 2100 and
2. Citizen who was 1st with the multi-band Radio Controlled/Atomic Timekeeping watch.

View attachment 2553761
View attachment 2553763
View attachment 2553765

It was interesting to compare the famous Seiko Lume I love to my beloved Citizen HAQ watch that is much dimmer. However, it holds it's ground.
Here is a comparison I did between my Seiko SBTM159 and my Citizen AQ6020-53x which highlights two different approaches to the Lume.

Here goes.
View attachment 2553768

View attachment 2553769

and about 2 hours later
View attachment 2553770
As you can see Seiko is gone in about 2 hours, while the Citizen is still going. In fact it is good for 6 hours or so.
To me this is a clear win for the Citizen, if you intend to use the watch in the dark for extended periods of time.

View attachment 2553764

• 1st LCD watch,
  • Seiko Kinetic
  • Seiko Spring Drive

View attachment 2553761
View attachment 2553763
View attachment 2553765

Here goes.
View attachment 2553768

View attachment 2553769

and about 2 hours later
View attachment 2553770
I like both companies. prefer citizen as I feel they bring as much and sometimes more to the table and always at lower prices than seiko. that wasn't true years ago, but is today. citizen has some innovations themselves too. one thing citizen is very bad at is marketing. seiko is great at marketing. they might be the best in the industry at it....least top 5.

I like both companies. prefer citizen as I feel they bring as much and sometimes more to the table and always at lower prices than seiko. that wasn't true years ago, but is today. citizen has some innovations themselves too. one thing citizen is very bad at is marketing. seiko is great at marketing. they might be the best in the industry at it....least top 5.
I like Citizen a lot. In fact, as I posted above my Citizen AQ6020-53x is on my wrist for 3+years now. It kicked some of my nice and loved mechanical watches out of rotation. I wear those only on special occasions.
DSC06045700.JPG

Having said this, IMO there is no doubts that the best in Marketing is Rolex. Like Jean Claude Biver said in one of his interviews talking about Rolex and how to compete with them - Rolex is like the Sun. It's too shiny, don't look at the Sun :)
Nonetheless, I admit, I did not fall for Rolex new watches. I just do not see any progress made really. All above, obviously IMO :)

I love my old Turn-O-Graph though. It back then was very innovative with the 1st rotating bezel on the market and very solid movement.
In mid 1950s this watch was adopted by the US Airforce Thunderbirds and the watch often called Thunderbird.
IMGP00921200.JPG

What I didn't mention in my post above was that this was a replacement watch, the first one I got had a terribly misaligned bezel and the clasp would not close securely whereas the one I got as a replacement lines up perfectly and the clasp works as it should. I've had my share of both Citizen and Seiko watches and I'll say that for models under 1K Citizen has much better quality control.

Last edited:
Steeldive makes a line of "homage" type watches with Seiko NH35 movements. I bought this one because I wanted a bronze case watch and love the Panerai "Bronzo". Panerai's cost $25,000.......this one only $350! Crazy thing is this watch's movement is actually slightly more accurate than my $5000 Omega Seamaster.

1713715665659.png

Steeldive.jpg

Last edited:
I sold mine to Bmurray Bmurray to fund another purchase and I regret it. I had no idea everything on the market these days was so huge, me wrists are dainty and it fit perfectly lol.
Got this from fleabay for 50usd (one bid). Had to pay the same for shipping and taxes but still pretty satisfied since this one is in such a good condition. I plan to use this as summer watch when I want something nice and light.

Where are the Luminox?
I have 3, my 2 Navy Seals were bought well used for low prices but I keep putting in new batteries and they keep running. I like tritium because at 5 in the morning I can still see what time it is, even with my old watches that are probably well beyond the half life of tritium. I have one larger Luminox diver that I like for the styling but also I like to wear it because of the tritium. With my love for the functionality of tritium tubes I have a couple of Deep Blue brand dive watches with tritium. Of course they are relatively new but they also have fairly large tubes so they are very bright at night. You can see the 3 Luminox models in this photo.

Back