Whats too young?(kids and knives lol)

I posted a thread yesterday, about my son and I spending a few hours with our new Becker. I took the time to teach him a few things about battoning out some smaller kindling, and explained to him the bennifits that the smaller pieces had, in starting fires. This time was really just an extension of what we've been working on the last few weeks, fire building. I've explained tinder, methods of getting a spark or flame to ignite with, gathering fuel, wind and moisture effects, etc..... The kid absorbs it like a sponge!
In the last few days, I've started giving him some lessons on using a blade to assist in the process. Things like the battoning, using your knife to strike firesteel, shaving magnesium, etc...... I gave him his first good working blade last weekend, a Vic Super Tink SAK. He looks at it like its an original copy of the book of Genesis or something lol, with complete and total respect. Along with gifting him the SAK, I gave him rules and responsibilities to follow:
1: Always be careful and mindful of what your cutting, and the direction your cutting in. Watch out for things that might get close to the blade.
2: Never play or act like your going to cut anything, except what your really going to cut.
3: Always maintain your knife. Keep it clean, oiled, and sharp. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.
As long as he follows these rules, he can cary the knife, when we go out. He knows good and well, that if he breaks them, then the knife is taken.
Now heres the point to all my rambling. My son its only 6. He will be 7 in late december. Is he too young for this responsibility? Am I putting more than he should be expected to cary, on his shoulders? He absorbs all of it, and is very careful about minding all the rules I've given him. When its he gonna slip up though? It has to happen right? And when he does, is he gonna get hurt, or maybe worse?
Whats your guys opinions on this? Chime in with your thoughts or experiences please?
Thanks,
Brandon
PS/ mods, if this is in the wrong place, I appologize. Please feel free to move it.
Pics for effect:
2012-10-14144719.jpg

IMG_20121014_195817.jpg

Last edited:
Naw, you're good.

Each child is different, and is each parent. I can't comment on your boy, as, I don't know him.

But you do.

The real question is do you feel he is ready? From the photo's you posted, he has the physical strength to use it, its the mental part that's hard to judge.

I gave my daughter her first one at age 7, as well as my youngest at age 7. I had my first one long before that age.

I think you are good to go, and I would also recommend not dulling or rounding the point. I make sure my daughters knives are sharp, and ready.

But that's just me.

Moose

Brandon,

I saw a pic of like a 4 year old using a bk-9...'Nuff said...:D

By the way, what I'm saying here is my opinion only, I'm 16 and (hopefully ;)) dont have kids of my own, so no real experience.

Seriously though, when I was about your boys age I wanted a SAK myself too but my parents would never let me saying I could cut myself and that I wasnt responsible...Bottom line of that story was that if I'd never met people like the beckerheads or people educated in knives I'd still be holding that belief that blades are weapons and not tools. Educating them about blades is a big thing imo. If I were you and my kid wasnt high on suger, didnt throw tantrums easily and was generally quite responsible and kept things in order (I know people who when they were kids lost things like anything...Basically what I mean by that is if he can hold on to his knife without loosing it or leaving it open/unsheathed on the ground) then I would consider it.He could use my blades for sure but I probably wouldnt be super comfortable letting him run around with his own. I'd also consider a fixed blade rather than a folder...BK-14 for sure:)...Ever since I knew most SAKs/slipjoints didnt lock I'm slightly suspiscious that one will close on my hand one day.

As the other two degenerates have said, it's really up to you to decide. My girlfriend's daughter and son both have knives and understand the responsibilities associated with them. Lara got hers when she was 7 or 8 and Gary got his when he was maybe 10 or 11. I think as long as they prove their maturity and responsibility is up to snuff and there are ground rules firmly explained/understood then it's a good deal.

both of my sons got their SAK cadet when they turned 8. the older one is now 11. my younger one just turned 8 and he has his SAK. i just make sure.. "don't take that to the school, and don't point that at any human beings." of course, i gave them basic knife safety things. so far so good. my 11 yr old cut himself rather bad playing with razor when he was young and he respects knives. my 8 yr old is rather causcious and so far he hasn't cut himself. once they are good with SAK, i'll get them 14 or 16. maybe when they are 13.

Oh, and something to remember, kids memory banks aren't very long lasting. Constant reminders of safety and importance of safety are needed. I remind mine everytime the blade comes out. As well as refreshers in technique, how to hold it, stuff like that.

My daughters have come along way since their first "nick", and we haven't had any major incidents, and they are allowed to carry their knives and use them at their discretion, but they always come ask, and use them in front of me. There have been a few times, they needed to take a tag off, or cut some tyewraps of toys, and even cut up an egg crate to make a school project.

Just keep hammering it in, every chance you get, and make sure they use them under supervision until the time comes they don't need to. You and your kid will know when that is.

Moose

My daughters are 4 and 6 and I've let them use knives for smaller/easy tasks - like kindling, and the basics of fire building. The second they stop paying attention is the immediate stop point however.

Yep, the little guys are sponges and if he's anything like my son, he'll do all he can to show you he's responsible to be able to have the privilege of keeping his knife. I gave my son a slipjoint knife when he was 5 and I'm really glad I did. He started treating knives like tools, respected their danger-factor, and was always sure to return it to me when we were done using it. He's 7 now and I still watch him closely and remind him of the things he's learned, but he has become much more capable with a knife and last summer taught a couple of older kids how to use a knife and fero rod to start a fire. That was cool to watch. Hearing him say "pencil lead, pencils, pinky's" in my same cadence is kind of funny.

I was about that age when I got my first knife as well.. as has been said, if the maturity and respect is there, and you teach them well it should be fine.

17 is too young.
Oh wait... I should have read the thread. :eek:

ETA: What Moose said. With stuff like knives, it depends on the child.

My daughters are 4 and 6 and I've let them use knives for smaller/easy tasks - like kindling, and the basics of fire building. The second they stop paying attention is the immediate stop point however.

Yeah, the truly difficult lesson is teaching them appropriate times to start fires in NYC... ;-)

I got my first SAK at about age 6. I wasn't a wild child.

-Daizee

Thanks for the input guys. I'm confident that he will do fine with the responsibility, my only major concern is if he gets hurt. I got my first knife at around his age, and I've still got a few scars to prove it lol. The difference is, my father never taught me respect for the knife, he was a gun guy. I always viewed blades as a disposable tool that required no maintenance. Now, after years of use and honest need of a knife, I realize that my blade is almost vital to my everyday routine, not to mention, seriously important in my hobbies and the lifestyle I love. I still cherish my firearms, but I depend on my knives.

Fires in NYC are easy, just throw a stack of newspapers on the subway tracks, POOF, big fire.

Yeah, the truly difficult lesson is teaching them appropriate times to start fires in NYC... ;-)

I got my first SAK at about age 6. I wasn't a wild child.

-Daizee

Well if she is under 18 then you...

Oh, wait, nevermind. :D

Of course he isn't too young. You are being a great father by showing himm these things. These will be memories he will remember for the rest of his life. Great job! As far as him getting hurt, if he uses a knife long enough he will cut himself, just like every member of this forum. As long as he observes the rules you teach him, that cut will hopefully be relatively minor and not life threatening. Hell, I cut myself at least once a week with my knives. I'm sure most of us are the same.

Back