When your buddy thinks his Frost Cutlery is the most amazing knife ever...

I think many of us went through the phase of buying for looks and price. My friends and I would drool at the Gil Hibben fantasy knives in the SMKW catalog when we were in middle school (the interwebz were rudimentary at best, Windows 3.1 had just come out when I was in 7th grade).

I cringe to admit that I actually owned (may still have it somewhere here at my parents) a fantasy knife. It was called the Phoenix I believe, look alike of the Klingon knife.

Just googlied it. Phoenix knife by United Cutlery. Ah yes, the very essence of utility and craftsmanship.

I commend you for what you did. It's always better to commend than belittle. I'm a bit of hermit (both human and the crab kind) but close friends and family know to ask me before buying something bladed. Everyone else, well sure that's cool man...

In similar situation to OP, I would congratulate person for being prepared and using right tool for job! Unlike majority of people who use their teeth, keys or spoons for cutting things! I would ask them what they like about it, what do they use it for and how often. I would tell them it's an interesting looking knife for a starter EDC! Also, when they outgrow it or have bigger spending budget, and ready to go to the next level, then I would be happy to educate them about better choices/options that are available to them.

As a side note regarding Frost knives, not all of them are cheap crap like in OP, some of it is actually good quality, in fact I carry as EDC small utility as pair to larger BM-710. I bought Frost version of manual opening BM Stryker G10+full stainless liners, decent probably 440C steel, that holds razor edge well for $15 to carry instead of $150 BM which is AO that I don't like to carry due to LE ignorance who think it's a switchblade plus I don't actually like AO's. F & f on both is equal in quality, in fact if I cover up markings most people including experts on this forum wont be able to tell the difference by feel alone.

I have a good buddy who doesn't know anything about knives, but he knows I love them. He told me he wanted to show me his "favorite knife", and brought it with him to work today.

He was so excited to show it to me, and he clearly loved the thing. I realized my overly critical opinion wouldn't accomplish anything, and might even take away his love for it.

Ended up telling him it was "a pretty cool knife" and then went about my day. He's my friend...

You did good. It was a Smith & Wesson "Homeland Security" knife that got me back into knife collecting back around 2004. It took me a couple years to get up to speed with what real quality is in a knife, and I joined the forum here in 2007. That beat up old S&W is still going strong.

If I may suggest something, maybe get that friend of yours a good inexpensive sharpening system and offer to show him how to sharpen the knife. The interest you show in helping him with it could open up a whole new world of cool mechanical cutting things for him.

~Chris

Since I became a knife nut, I have learned that finding other likeminded folks is very rare. When it comes to purchasing a knife, 99.9% of the time, you get what you pay for. Frost cutlery knives are just about the lowest of the low in terms of quality. If your friend is pleased with it, then he is obviously out for the cool factor and probably wouldn't see the benefit in paying a higher price for a high end knife.

Don't even respond. Grab it, baton it in half with your knife using a empty paper towel roll to baton and then thank him for the experience.

He wanted to share something he is excited about. You did good OP.

I've always owned basic cars. I know there are better cars. When car guys talk down to me about it, I just laugh, since:
  • I've seldom been in a position to afford one
  • I don't really need an enthusiast car
  • I am not on the car guy forums
  • My basic car gets me from Point A to Point B
  • I'm just not that interested
  • I'm happily married anyway

That knife is hilarious—just looking at it! I keep wondering how he cleans it.

I don't know this friend of yours, but I think it's safe to say he's not trypophobic.

so i never heard of trypophobic - so i googled it, and dang if that aint one thing that bothers me. I can deal with a lot of the pictures that came up - but the lotus pods bother me, especially the photoshopped pictures. Dang - serious heebie jeebies now

About 38 years ago, I was in Thailand, where I met my wife. There was a flood in town. My Mother-in-law decided to slaughter a pig, and my wife's step-dad was doing the deal. He needed a knife, so I pulled one out of my back-pack, about a 10-12" long one. He kinda laughed. So I rolled up my sleeve and shaved off about a 1" wide by 4" long patch off my hairy forearm. That did the trick. Sharpest knife in that town at the time, I'll bet.

He didn't think a foreigner knew anything. But that knife was hand-forged by a Hmong blacksmith from Laos, and a good one. Probably cost me $3. at that time.

One dude I know had a M Tech knife similar to this one and he said it was "military issue". I told him it was not military issue and he insisted it was.

By "military issue" I think he means "olive drab"? (shrugs)

so i never heard of trypophobic - so i googled it, and dang if that aint one thing that bothers me. I can deal with a lot of the pictures that came up - but the lotus pods bother me, especially the photoshopped pictures. Dang - serious heebie jeebies now

Do yourself a favour and don't google "Surinam toad". :p

I Googled it and found some rather disturbing images. I guess i'm trypophobic.
I still find pictures of Mama June far more horrifying.

I actually had to look her up. Now you just know some disturber is gonna photoshop Mama June giving birth to a thousand Surinam tadpoles out of her back!

Back