Where to buy Council tool axe in the North West?

I live in Canada, where Council tool stuff is hard to find and way too pricy (generally more than Hultafors), but next summer will be road tripping through Idaho and Oregon. Wondering if I'll be able to find stores in this area where I could buy a Boys Axe?

If you go to Council tools website you can look up dealers there is a 4 page list of dealers from the iPad I can’t search by state but scrolling through the list I see 3 listed in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. They list websites and facebook for most of them a couple I checked that had websites didn’t have any tools listed no facebook so I couldn’t look at them. There use to be a shop in Salem OR that use to carry some of there stuff but has changed names still the same kind of store, I will stop by and see if they still have any and let you know.

If you go to Council tools website you can look up dealers there is a 4 page list of dealers from the iPad I can’t search by state but scrolling through the list I see 3 listed in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. They list websites and facebook for most of them a couple I checked that had websites didn’t have any tools listed no facebook so I couldn’t look at them. There use to be a shop in Salem OR that use to carry some of there stuff but has changed names still the same kind of store, I will stop by and see if they still have any and let you know.

Yeah I did try the Council tools website, which I too found pretty unhelpfull. Like you I was able to find some listed vendors in the NW after large amounts of scrolling, but unable to determine which products they kept in stock, if any.

I can order one from a couple different places in Canada, to about the tune of $150 shipped, which is either on par or slightly more expensive than getting a Hultafors felling axe. I hear great things about their boys axe, but at the same (ish) price as a Hultafors does it still make sense?

Last edited:
I won’t be able to check until next week on the place in Salem but you are looking for the boys axe?

At that price you should get what you think is best. The best boys axe I have is a head I got cheap on the bay and hung myself. I think it was a collins

At that price you should get what you think is best. The best boys axe I have is a head I got cheap on the bay and hung myself. I think it was a collins

Yeah, I just picked up an old axe last week for free. The head is unstamped but well shaped, lightly used, and holds an edge pretty good. Hard to tell exactly with the handle attached but I think the head is around 2.75 lbs. Spent a few hours bucking some birch and poplar with it yesterday, and decided that I probably dont need a higher end boys axe any more, but if I can walk into a brick and mortar store on this road trip, and select the Boy's Axe of my choice I will definately do it.

fortytwoblades is a dealer here on the forum and has the boys axe on sale on his website http://www.byxco.com/ I don’t know about shipping up North to you but the price is good. If nothing else you can have it shipped to me and pick it up on your trip if you are coming through Salem OR area.

fortytwoblades is a dealer here on the forum and has the boys axe on sale on his website http://www.byxco.com/ I don’t know about shipping up North to you but the price is good. If nothing else you can have it shipped to me and pick it up on your trip if you are coming through Salem OR area.
So... any places you would reccomend checking out? I will have the whole summer, the plan is to not have too many high mileage days, and do lots of backroad exploring. I'm thinking if I come down the coast in July, it might possibly be a little less buisy than in August, then head back through the mountains, Idaho, Glacier park to Alberta.

We travel with a truck camper, with the kids often staying in a tent, and preffer to avoid staying in campgrounds if at all possible. Our general pace is just cruising backroads, find a nice place and set up camp, explore and fish for a few days. When it feels like time to move we drift to the next spot. We usually try to talk to the locals along the way and visit places or events they reccomend.

We usually do one or two of these types of trips through BC or Northern Sask every summer. With the kids getting older this one might be the last big Hurrah with the whole gang, so hoping to make a grand adventure of it, work in a variety of experiences with the main goal to keep everyone having fun for as long as possible.

Last edited:
Cutter’s Supply in Enumclaw, WA carries Council tools. If you’re planning a trip I would order in advance and pickup along your way. They don’t carry a lot of stock but I’m sure they would order for you.

Silver falls state park a little east of Salem is a great day hike some truly beautiful waterfalls. They also have camping but it is a state campground you could easily spend a day hiking the trails. You can reserve a campsite and check out the falls on the website Silver Falls State park. For camping the family and I either spend time down on the coast Newport or farther south (fewer people) but we stay in the motorhome. For remote camping in an area with no real camping grounds it’s the area around Sister OR I’ll post some pictures. My kids do some camping at Detroit Lake there are a few areas that are not in camp ground but will be full are one the weekend. If you would like more info on the area let me know.
Me and my youngest about 8 years ago we took the motorhome in the area around Sister so the wife would come she can’t tent camp anymore she needs a real bed.

These two pictures were taken on the same day mid June at three creeks lake south of sister a 12 miles from the other camping pictures there is some camping by the lake that is nice if you can get a spot it’s first come first serve. Sorry for the jumbled pictures just scrolling through the photo album on the iPad some of the pictures are older.

Last edited:
A group of us Beckerhead camp up in the Sisters area a couple times a year May and November it can be cold but it’s a great time

Last edited:
A group of us Beckerhead camp up in the Sisters area a couple times a year May and November it can be cold but it’s a great time View attachment 2509875View attachment 2509876View attachment 2509877View attachment 2509878View attachment 2509880
Loved the pictures, and appreciate any info your willing to share. Here in Alberta people are pretty tight lipped with info on wild camping, fishing etc... so I dont take such info casually. We're respectfull and clean campers, we do like to eat a few fish but we limit what we take... and after a couple days we'll be long gone. If you've got any info you dont want to share with the whole world, but you'd be willing to share with me, just shoot me a PM.

The Plan is to come down the Columbia valley, then drift down the coast to the Cali border. After that head diagonally north through the mountains to Idaho, take the kids to Silver City and hit Glacier Park on the way home. Once again, the plan is very open and I'll be following up on any local tips I can get all summer.

Oh yeah, and I love me some winter camping.

Last edited:
There has been direction on the forum several times so I have no problem listing them again three creeks lake is south on Elm st in Sisters about 15 miles at the end of the road not a big secret. The camping area is about 7 miles up the road then turn to the right. I will get better directions in a few days to the camp area. No fish I. The creek to speak of my friend that lives over there and fishes has caught a few small 3-4 in fish. At the lake there is some better fishing. There is also a remote area about 15 miles east of bend but no water area for fishing.

You should put up a post in community center I’m sure there are others that will help with camping areas. Maryville WA has some good areas also but I’ve only been there once years ago.

Driving directions:
When in Sisters go South on S. Elm st.
Go 7.3 miles and turn right on Whychus creek
after 3.1 miles take a right at the V in the road
Go 2 miles, cross a wooden bridge and head right
0.6 miles after the bridge, the campsite is on the right. There are a few camping spots in this area.

Coordinates: 44.19840649834272, -121.65839393519731

Snapshot:

IvbZNTe.png
The coordinates are a little off to the north but are several good spots down towards the big bend.

Back