• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

where to buy laguiole knives?

I know of only two places to buy laguiole knives that appear to be US based websites. I have heard worldknives is good to go but the other one was cutlerytogo.com unfortunately when i went to check out I noticed the checkout is not secure so I opted to pass. I did a little more checking and found what appears is the same place also going by frenchknives.com. I am am looking to order a 9cm forge de laguiole in amourette wood and sadly this is the only place I can find this knife. Anyone have any knowledge if this is a legit site or what the deal is? I swear I have seen people say cutlerytogo is a legit site but I wont be entering any information on a nonsecure site.

A well-stocked site for french knives is Couteaux Berthier. They are based in France, have an English language switch on their site and ship internationally.

Buy direct from Fontenille-Pataud. Comprehensive international service.

I am considering buying international but I have never done that so it concerns me a bit but I know if I do not buy exactly what I want(9-11 cm Amourette Wood handle with stainless bolsters no corkscrew) I will be kicking myself.

I'll second Fontenille-Pataud from France for selection and reputation. The have a few different options in Amourette (Snakewood), including locking and non-locking. I ordered the Gentleman's version, which has a thicker handle to it, in Juniper Burl as I was looking for a wood native to France. Let us know what you decide!

if this can help fontenille-pataud and forges de laguioles knives are on par on quality. very good small shops that provide near custom quality. the only real upgrade in quality you can find is a good custom maker.

the gentleman's laguiole is a lockback, very nice knives but i think the proportions are too far from the original, the "nature" laguiole from them is a lockback too but with a slender profile more classical.

My wife picked one up for me in Bordeaux last summer. Its beautiful, but the edge grind is a bit wonkey.

Those are interesting links, thank you.:thumbup:

Last week my second Fontenille-Pataud arrived and I'm extremely pleased. It is the Pocket model, 10.5cm closed in beautiful Ram's Horn, it has joined my XS 9cm knife in natural bone. 1.5cm doesn't sound much but the Pocket is a much larger knife but not unwieldy. The XS is hardly tiny but a useful compact knife and this particular one is stunningly well made. These knives are Lockbacks and have deeply impressive action, no hint of play or any issues at all. At first, i thought the Laguiole would be too thin for my tastes, but no, it is a marvel of ergonomics. The handle is narrow but the bone or horn is thick and so well radiused you cannot feel any edges, except the blade which is ultra keen. I also like the fact that they don't have brass fittings (unlike cheaper Laguioles) as I find brass smells and imparts unpleasant flavours on foods.:barf:

France has a long and impressive cutlery heritage and these knives certainly continue that. In fact, a lot of admirable knives come from France, the Opinel is widely respected as simple and workmanlike .Le Thiers Le Compagnon in ebony is my favourite picnic outdoor food knife, superb slicer but a bit large for pocket carry. Give it fruit, cheese, cold meats etc and it excels.

Back