Which Kershaws' do you just not like? Why?

Of all the Kershaw blades I've owned, the only one that I never really liked was the Scallion. I have the 1620H3 and it's just not comfortable. The thumb studs are harder to operate than the Skyline, the body to blade thickness is WAY out of proportion in my opinion, and the tight curve on the short blade made it difficult to sharpen. It just wasn't a blade that made me happy.

The Leek (that everyone here seems to dislike) is in my top three though. I love my OD-1, Skyline, and Leek.

Leek: the tip is too delicate.
Shallot: absent traction plan
Skyline: too small, pocket shredder
Salvo: difficult to deploy, sharp thumbstud ridges. I ground the thumbstud diagonally like the blur and it is much better now.
Keepers: s30v Blur, large JYD
Wishlist: Rake

The Needs Work just didn't do it for me.It was mainly the blade angle I guess and the weird slick feel and odd texture of the scales.Carried mine for one day after getting it on trade and put it up.The Blur as well did not find favor with me.The handle design left a lot to be desired. On the other hand,after EDC'ing an Emerson Commander for 10 years, I got a Rake in the same trade and loved it.Soon followed by a ZT 0350.The 0350 has been the only knife I have found that regularly kicks the Commander out of my right pocket. I prefer a liner lock to a frame lock anyway after so long with my Commander,and the 0350's liners are HUGE,inspiring a lot of confidence.A friend has a 0300 and got it before I got my 0350.After seeing what the extremely rough texture of the 0300 scales has done to his pockets,I'm glad I went with the 0350.I think the 0300 would be an excellent knife with lighter texture on the scales.Feels great in the hand,but as much as I pull out a knife in the course of a day,I would have to sheath carry a 0300 or design kydex pocket liners for my jeans and khakis to save my wardrobe. Guess I'm just a textured G10 guy.

I love Kershaw, but hate the Vapor -- not sure if it is still in production, but poorly made from cheap materials in China. I bought a second one, thinking I must have got a bad one, but the second was as bad as the first. It put me off buying any Chinese Kershaws.

I wouldn't say that there is any that I dislike, but traits that I dislike. I don't like a knife that rides high. At best they make me feel like I'm trying to be a commando wannabe. I usually try to carry the knife in the configuration that will make it ride lowest but that usually causes them to take up a lot of pocket realestate. I don't carry my OD-1 for that reason. It has been relegated to kitchen duty, but it's been great for that and actually sees a lot of use. There has been quite a few others that has made the trip to STR to have the issue fixed. I also don't like the real obtuse grinds that some of the knives get. I just don't see a point in such an edge. It may make for a tough blade but they don't slice worth a crap. The ZT 0400 and the Tyrades were like that. If I manage to get a 560 I'll find someone to flat grind it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Needs Work just didn't do it for me.It was mainly the blade angle I guess and the weird slick feel and odd texture of the scales.

I dont EDC my needs work. Too bulky and the angle is odd. But we dont have trash pick up here in otisfield, me. And every 2 weeks for going to the dump day I'm breaking down boxes etc and I love my needs work. So I guess on days when I actually have to use a knife to do some work LOL the needs work is my go to. If I had to cut carpet or stuff for a living I'd probably buy them by the dozen. And I just like looking at the needs work and flipping it open. My actual knife use of cutting 2 hay bales open and opening my mail could be done with anything but I rotate my knife collection and use a different one each day. I am so sick :)

First Kershaw was a Scallion I bought a few years ago. It has barely been out of the box. Just do not like it. Don't like the finish on the handles, the action of the blade deployment or the size of the knife. Not a bad knife, just not my thing. Glad I gave Kershaw another chance. Just got a Skyline and a couple of RAMS that I love. Also just bought a ZT 0350 and have not warmed up to it at all. Nothing wrong with it either, as a matter of fact it came in perfect condition. Just kinda clumsy for my hand size.

OD-1 i have handled a few and the blade launching system seems very sticky and you have to hold it in just the right spot.

Also just bought a ZT 0350 and have not warmed up to it at all. Nothing wrong with it either, as a matter of fact it came in perfect condition. Just kinda clumsy for my hand size.
I must say after 10 years with my Commander I love my new 0350,very similar feel in the hand. My negative view of the Needs Work would probably be different if I broke down tons of cardboard or cut carpet or other similar work constantly,where a utility knife would normally be employed.I don't,so it just didn't do it for me.I will say the Speed Safe on the Needs Work was one of the fastest opening of the Kershaws I have tried,very quick with solid lockup.Perhaps different scales or a less severe cutting angle would have changed my mind.My next Kershaw is going to be a JYDII composite,having tried out a friends for a day,I know I will like it.I didn't much care for the OD-1 either,but I am not a frame lock fan,I prefer a liner lock.Not a bad knife,just not my thing,so I passed after handling a buddy's.He loves it though.Different strokes. BTW Anyone less than enamored with their 0350,send it to me.I will give it a good home,with plenty of love and attention.:D

Last edited:
I only have a few ZTs....0300, 0302, 0200, 0500, 0551 but like them all. I really like the 300,302, and the 500 a Lot.

I had a Shallot that I never really liked...too small for my hand was most of the reason. I have a Rake I traded for but I just can't warm up to...

again a little too small in the handle but I really like the knife a Lot. I have a Lahar that I bought last spring. I like big knives but I have other big

knives I like to carry and use more that the Lahar. There is nothing that I don't like about the knife at all.

Do you have Kershaws or ZTs that you never seemed to like and why didn't you like them ?

Leek. Don't like how it fits in my hand and really don't like the fragile blade tip.

Only three! I know i'm risking life and limb posting this with the boss man in here. Still 3 knives, that's about 10% of the Kershaws I've had at one point, I like to swap and trade, love almost all of them.

-Vapor. Blech. I don't care that it's Chinese, it just felt cheap, couldn't get a good grip on it, bad action, pocket muncher, bad grind. But it was pretty.
-JYD II. Actually great ergos, killer blade, solid as an 80's Mercedes, but I HATED that clip. It rode super high, and most of the weight was up top so you really felt it in pocket, it was thick, non-switchable location for the clip too. Traded it to my dad for a Spyderco. :jerkit:
-Mini Cyclone: too short for my palm, and rattly. The on/off switch was cool but I think a lock would've made more sense for this model, and the handle narrowed to much towards the end to ever be a great working knife.

Sure love my Shallot though! Daily carry status.

The only Kershaw I'm not 100% on that I've owned is the Salvo. The problem is I absolutely love 90% of the knife :) Great blade shape, frame lock, perfect pocket clip, track tech inserts, slim build, and a wicked detent that lets you really pop the blade open hard for a non AO, and and did I mention track tech inserts ;) (love those)

The only thing I dislike is the thumbstud, its too close to the handle and its a bit small and sharp as hell (and it needs to stay that way because otherwise my thumb skips over it)

Still love the knife though, gets carried whenever I travel and don't know about legalities of AO and blade length (aka over the border in MA where the laws seem to change every ten feet)

I have liked every other Kershaw I've owned, as for ones that don't visually do it for me : Stuff like the DWO, Packrat (love the orange scales though), amphibian, ET (though its a neat concept)

All knife threads needs pics so: (still getting used to the camera)

Kershaw Salvo by esrvdb88, on Flickr

I am not a fan of the Scallion or the Chive. They're fine, well made knives but I am not a fan of their design personally.

This is going to be a REALLY unpopular answer but honestly the Blur is a knife I leave at home these days. I liked it a lot when I got it but after I got my ZT0350 (Which I personally find comfortable) it really has no reason to come out with me.

I'm not a fan of any Kershaws made outside of the USA. There is just something so American about carrying a pocketknife that it should be an American Product.

IMHO of course.

Don't like the Select Fire. Had the chance to handle one recently and just wasn't crazy about anything it had to offer. I also wasn't a huge fan of the Black Gulch when I had one. Other than those two, I just dislike certain features of a few Kershaws. Overall though, I love most of what they put out.

Of the Kershaw's I've owned I've loved 97% of them.

I LOVE the Leek. The tip is just too delicate. I've had 3 of them and broke them all, from misuse of course. Now I carry an 0550. I can't break that, that's for sure!

I also love the Needs Work blade design, and the ergonomics. The handle scales are literally so hideous, I gave up on it even though performance wise, it was amazing.

Kershaw/ZT is still my favorite production knife company.

JYD - too weird looking with "rivets"
OD-1 - painful to open; blade didn't close all the way and I jabbed myself when it was in my pocket
Cyclone - too heavy

Back