Recommendation? Which Naniwa to pair with the Green Brick of Joy?

Which 400 grit stone?

• Total voters

kamagong

Gold Member
I need to buy a couple of waterstones to sharpen my knives with. I won't be sharpening for money, nor do I seek that beautiful, mirror polished edge. I just need a pair of stones that I can use to sharpen and maintain my knives. Most of my knives are made from simple carbon steels with blades of 1095, O1, W2 and the like.

One of the stones I'm going to get is the 2000 grit Aotoishi, AKA the Green Brick of Joy. I need a recommendation for a coarse stone. I'm having trouble deciding between the S2 and the Pro (the stone formerly known as Chosera). I like the faster cutting action of the Pro, but I do appreciate the slower wearing of the S2. What I am curious about is the feel of the stone. Which one feels closest to the GBOJ?

I have the OG Naniwa Chosera set and I really like the 600 grit (green) stone. I think it would work well in tandem with a 2000 grit stone. HTH.

The 400 pro/chosera is a good medium coarse stone that i would highly recommend. It's the green one. The 600(dark blue stone) would also be a good choice although I'm going off other opinions I've seen as i don't have that one. I regularly go from the 400 straight to 3000 grit without issues.

I use the green 400 chosera as my starter. Then move on up the ladder.

Back