1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Why are they Blems?

Discussion in 'Kershaw Knives / Zero Tolerance' started by coop1957, Mar 1, 2013.

1. coop1957

coop1957

Oct 22, 2002
    I've gotten a couple of Kershaw "Blems" from the Kershaw Guy and am very pleased. My questions is - What are some of the reasons that they are rejected for regular sale? I've never found any faults. Maybe I'm just not diserning enough.

2. heavyfoldersarebest

heavyfoldersarebest

Nov 8, 2012
    Kershaw/ZT check for faults at microscopic levels, try to find it with a microscope.

3. PGeo00

PGeo00

Jan 27, 2012
    I've never seen anything that stood out to me as a blemish on the Kershaw blems. I've always been happy with what I got.

4. neffarious

neffarious Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2012
    i had one with a slightly bent tip. I straightened it. I had another with a needle point spot of dlc missing on a serration.

5. bigconig

bigconig

Jun 9, 2008
    The only noticeable blems I've ever gotten were small stains (at least I assume that was the blem) Most of which cleaned off.

6. celtic11

celtic11

Dec 28, 2012
    My CF blur had a burr on one of the thumbstuds. It was the left hand side so I didn't sweat it and then after a few weeks it fell off. My OD blur had a 1/4 scratch in the anodizing. My OD Zing I couldn't really find much of anything other than some very faint scuffs on the coating of the blade. The four Xs on the blade bother me far more than any actual "blem" I have seen.

7. Apec

Apec

Oct 30, 2007
    That's funny. I swear some of these blems would have made it through QC at other manufacturers. I don't think I could find anything wrong with the ZT-9 blem in my possession.

8. X_shooter

X_shooter

Sep 26, 2012
    I just received a zt 0200 blem from Kershawguy. I have to guess what the blem actually is. I have decided its the tiny little mar to the blade that I would have made on my own at first use anyway. I am fine with that. I can't wait till they screw up a batch of 566's with all due respect of course. I am sure it will take a good long time before they show up on Dave's doorstep.

9. flarp

flarp

Sep 7, 2011
    In many cases, I can't find the blem. A couple of had minor cosmetic blemishes (usually on the blade finish), and a couple have had minor issues (nothing that would make the knife unsafe or otherwise non-functional though). If you're looking for a knife to use and are fine with the lack of warranty (although Kershaw will still send minor parts, like screws, torsion bars, and pocket clips), blems are a great value.

10. weech3

weech3

Jan 12, 2013
    my 0550 had the ZT laser etched too deep, it looks awsome

11. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug

Jun 10, 2012
    My SG2 JYD blem has an uneven composite line, Im fine with that makes a great user that way. Have a Tigerstripe Blur with a pin head size mark on the DLC barely noticable.

12. Spyderinked

Spyderinked

May 10, 2012
    My 0200 black on black, has two bare spots (no DLC) about 1/8" X 1/8", out towards the tip. Other than that, it is an awesome knife !

13. Ridgeback08

Ridgeback08

Feb 10, 2008
    Beats me! I received a blem Skyline and I'm still trying to figure out if there is even a blem, ha!