Question Why do posts in threads not appear in chronological order?

I am so sick and tired of reading through threads, and I find posts ranging through the last twenty years and replies that are out of order.

For example, there would be a post from 2002, which started the tread, then maybe one from 2009, then 2020, then maybe 2014. What is the deal with this?

As far as I am aware there are no preferences to change this. This is so frustrating when all the posts are out of chronological order.

Can somebody please help? This website is over twenty years old, thus surely somebody has noticed this problem before?

Last edited:
I am so sick and tired of reading through threads, and I find posts ranging through the last twenty years and replies that are out of order.

For example, there would be a post from 2002, which started the tread, then maybe one from 2009, then 2020, then maybe 2014. What is the deal with this?

As far as I am aware there are no preferences to change this. This is so frustrating when all the posts are out of chronological order.

Can somebody please help? This website is over twenty years old, thus surely somebody has noticed this problem before?
I have never once seen this. Post a screen shot. Also, your font is off unless you changed it on purpose. I'm guessing something is up with your settings.

I have never once seen this. Post a screen shot. Also, your font is off unless you changed it on purpose. I'm guessing something is up with your settings.

Yeah never seen this either

Go to the title bar and sort the threads by "Last Message". You will see an arrow pointing down when they are sorted by the most recent reply.

Go to the title bar and sort the threads by "Last Message". You will see an arrow pointing down when they are sorted by the most recent reply.

That only seems to apply to threads, but not posts within a thread, which is what the OP seems to be referring to.

Yeah, I looked and couldn't find any kind of setting that could cause this. J John Citizen what browser/device are you using?

Sorry everybody, looks like I was just new to BF and it was late at night and I was tired. I probably accidentally looked at the date joined of members instead of the date of the post. Either that or I just can't find an example. It wouldn't make sense for posts not to be in chronological order. I guess I've made a mistake. :mad: That being said, the theme for this website is not very passive, and there is heaps of blank space in the middle of the screen. Posts should not appear to extend so far vertically.

I did change the font and it's Times New Roman, which is my signature font.

I am accessing BF using my MacBook Pro 13.3" 2019 (4 thunderbolt ports) on Safari 13.1.

Last edited:

Sorry everybody, looks like I was just new to BF and it was late at night and I was tired. I probably accidentally looked at the date joined of members instead of the date of the post. Either that or I just can't find an example. It wouldn't make sense for posts not to be in chronological order. I guess I've made a mistake. :mad: That being said, the theme for this website is not very passive, and there is heaps of blank space in the middle of the screen. Posts should not appear to extend so far vertically.

I am accessing BF using my MacBook Pro 13.3" 2019 (4 thunderbolt ports) on Safari 13.1.
What "theme" are you using? Most of us use "Flat Awesome+ (BETA)" or "FA+ Dark", and I'm not sure what blank space you're talking about. Do you have signatures turned off?

Just so you know, your font appears smaller to me than everyone else. Makes your posts more difficult to read.

No worries on the mistake. It happens. I'm not sure I understand your other problems with the site theme or the "space". Anyway, good luck.

Just so you know, your font appears smaller to me than everyone else. Makes your posts more difficult to read.

No worries on the mistake. It happens. I'm not sure I understand your other problems with the site theme or the "space". Anyway, good luck.

You are correct; Times New Roman appears smaller than other fonts. Thanks for pointing that out. I have made the font size larger.

The blanks in the middle of the screen are probably because you have an ad blocker, and since you aren't a paying member there are ads, and spaces for ads in the middle of threads and in posts. With ad blocker enabled it probably leaves them as large blank spaces.

Your font is kinda big to me. But whatever. I generally don't play with the settings unless its on purpose to draw attention for one reason or another in a post. Usually specific text.

J John Citizen ALL threads are in chronological order. Always have been. Even now.

Someone may START a thread in 2004 and there will be repeated entries right up to 2020.

Now, I think I see what you are seeing, and it has NOTHING to do with the post order....

You may be looking under the avatar of the MEMBER, and that's their join date. Yup, completely random.

[EDIT: Now I reread your post and you declared this. Exactly.]

Look in the blue stripe for the actual post time stamp.

Back