Why the GEC #42 @ 4 1/4" long

Modoc ED

Gold Member
when they alread have the #23 at 4 1/2" long and the #73 at 3 3/4" long. To boot, all are the same pattern with just a slight blade difference between the #42 and #23s and #73s. The #42 has a #8 Muskrat Clip blade the others a #5 Drop Point/Skinner blade. The #42 sure as heck woun't be any easier to carry that the #23.

428212ebonywood.jpg

Oh joy:rolleyes:!!!! This could cost me another two or three hundred dollars just as the #79s did.

Ed, I was wondering the same thing earlier today when I looked at the GEC webpage. Maybe they'll also make a 3.5" version of the pattern. ;) ...btw, anyone know anything about the upcoming "Outlaw" pattern??

I read the subject line and thought you might be swearin'. :eek:

I just saw the size on this one, as well. Hunh. Add in the upcoming Forum knife at 3.82 (?!), and it looks like an interesting case of ruler trouble, or target practice (aim at 4", run with what you hit).

Of course, I look forward to everyone's pictures. :)

~ P.

Ed, I was wondering the same thing earlier today when I looked at the GEC webpage. Maybe they'll also make a 3.5" version of the pattern. ;) ...btw, anyone know anything about the upcoming "Outlaw" pattern??

If I am not mistaken the Outlaw is the reverse gunstock jack, Jake.

As for the Missouri, I guess GEC likes them big. I've mentioned it before, but we seem to have seen a spate of larger patterns from GEC lately.

if GEC Brings Gunstock pattern out I am royal screwed and my wallet even more... LOL :D

Is it possible the 23 might be retired, for lack of a better word, in favor of this? It does seems odd to me they'd make a full size trapper at 4.25" when there's already have one at 4.5". I know sometimes that 1/4" makes a difference for us on various patterns but personally I'm not seeing it here.

I have enough #23s and #73s that I'm not jumping for these. I'm just going to assume its for the guys that want something in between the 2 existing models. They're also going to make a lockback out of this frame.

If they're going for a lockback then I might want to go for one, I like the muskrat clip, hopefully they add a lanyard hole though

Is it possible the 23 might be retired, for lack of a better word, in favor of this? It does seems odd to me they'd make a full size trapper at 4.25" when there's already have one at 4.5". I know sometimes that 1/4" makes a difference for us on various patterns but personally I'm not seeing it here.

I wouldn't think they'd drop the #23 pattern or at least I hope they don't. Their premier patterns were the #23 and #73 patterns and I'd think they'd keep them to the bitter end.

I have enough #23s and #73s that I'm not jumping for these. I'm just going to assume its for the guys that want something in between the 2 existing models. They're also going to make a lockback out of this frame.

I think I'm with you here but then again, that's what I said about the #79. A lockback would be interesting but I've got a ton of lockbacks. I'll just have to wait and see what's what.

Nice, but I'm holding out for the Outlaw Jack. Since I love the Gunstock pattern I'm just hopin' they don't have too many different handle styles I like, my wallet won't be able to take it :D

the two blades look so similar that it seems kind of redundant to have two. The BF traditional knife with clip and wharncliff secondary makes more sense.

They've had the clip & wharncliffe setup on the #53 Furtakers, which was a 4 1/8" frame I think. That was a muskrat style clip though. This one seems more full and broad.

I have to say the catalog image and name of the knife are making me think of Josey Wales. As long as no one takes a "Missouri boatride" I guess we'll be okay. ;)

Back