Wicked Gatco

I have the Gatco sharpening -kit, but it could use some inprovement.
So i was thinking for a solution and came up with this, a hybrid between the Wicked Edge and my Gatco system.

The modification to the Gatco diamond stones , machined them parallel and then glued some guide tubes on them.

The sharpening result after some 2500 gritt polishing paper:

It becomes very very sharp and when i strop the blade, scary sharp.....
Im very pleased with my own made wicked Gatco.

Last edited:
same here with the pics. you can try saving the image or right click > view image

That is really awesome. I too have the Gatco system with the ceramic stone, and like it ok, but this would take it to the next level. It might be time to have some fun on Inventor and draw something similar up. I love the socket swivels you incorporated into it. I work at a place where we do tubing, that looks to be 3/8 x .035?, and is that 1/4 socket swivel and extension or a different size? Oh, and does the ball detent on the end of the extension keep the tubes/diamonds from flying off? Sorry for all the questions, but I think that is just too cool!

Good results, clever effort transforming the gatco into a wicked edge like system. Nice machine work and arm pivot joints. Do you have 2 of each grit or do you do 1 side at a time?

I have the Gatco sharpening -kit, but it could use some inprovement.
So i was thinking for a solution and came up with this, a hybrid between the Wicked Edge and my Gatco system.

The modification to the Gatco diamond stones , machined them parallel and then glued some guide tubes on them.

The sharpening result after some 2500 gritt polishing paper:

It becomes very very sharp and when i strop the blade, scary sharp.....
Im very pleased with my own made wicked Gatco.

That is really awesome. I too have the Gatco system with the ceramic stone, and like it ok, but this would take it to the next level. It might be time to have some fun on Inventor and draw something similar up. I love the socket swivels you incorporated into it. I work at a place where we do tubing, that looks to be 3/8 x .035?, and is that 1/4 socket swivel and extension or a different size? Oh, and does the ball detent on the end of the extension keep the tubes/diamonds from flying off? Sorry for all the questions, but I think that is just too cool!

It is 8mm tubing (inside) just made them to fit extensions snug.
The extensions are made shorter now by me

Good results, clever effort transforming the gatco into a wicked edge like system. Nice machine work and arm pivot joints. Do you have 2 of each grit or do you do 1 side at a time?

I have just 1 of each stone.
So when im reprofiling i use 1 stone at the time for creating a nice even burr.
When im finishing, i use the 2 side like wicked edge system.
Then i use high gritt sandpaper and 2 stones ad the same time.

Last edited:
Looks interesting. I have the GATCO as well and it works great for me. I use the 11° setting for my kitchen cutlery. I would not want to lose the lower angle. That is one of the advantages for me in the GATCO versus the KME and the Lansky.

Nice work.

Back