Wool Blankets

Sufler

Gold Member
I know - we've discussed this so many times before. But, I see that Sportsman's Guide is all sold out of the Italian Military Wool Blanket that some of you suggested as a good deal.

Who else is selling some good ones? I've looked at quite a few places online and there just don't seem to be any nice ones out there (per customer reviews).

Thanks!

:thumbup:

Nicks right....Surplus stores, either local or online. Italian wool ones are the best. I can tell ya how to make em not stink too. GI ones are ok, but I prefer the Italian.....Thicker.

Sierra Trading post has 'em

Yes they do... Just got my first batch all washed up and smelling good. Should have my new batch here tomorrow. I think I will take these to the laundry mat and do them all up at once.

They seem to be hit or miss on how bad they smell... out of my first 4 there was 1 that didn't stink at all, 2 that were so so, and 1 that was really bad.

Ski

Ok, how do you keep them from stinking?

I washed mine and line dried in the sun for several days and still get a bit of mothball smell when it's rolled up for a long time. Washing alone just made the washer and house smell like naptha.

Any other thoughts on how to get rid of the smell?

I washed mine 3 times with simple green and let them line dry for a couple of days and they don't have any smell at all.

It took me a few posts to figure out what was the "stink". With it being Naptha, at least the moths wont get em. All I do with my winter stored wool is hang it out in the sun.

I do not know which blanket is the best!

I have used a US Army blanket for many many years as a poncho and for sleeping
I has kept me warm on many a cold night

Last year I got 3 Swiss Link (importer) "Swedish army officer blackets." They are 100x better than the Italian ones, which are pretty good too--thick, soft 100% wool, brand new and no smell -unbelievable. If you can snag one get it.

Back