Worst abuse you've done to a knife?

What knives have stood your abuse and which ones failed? Pics please and how it happened and failed/succeeded. Should be intresting

Great topic. Although I don't have it anymore, I totally jacked up my very first Spyderco PM2. I was new to S30V and could not get the same kind of edge I would get on my carbon steel Case knives. Needless to say, I kept sharpening and sharpening when I should have stopped and asked someone with experience. I was that guy who never pulls over and asks for directions, now I ask.
That poor knife gave its life so that I could master sharpening S30V. Diamonds and a 50 cent magic marker made all the difference.

Great topic. Although I don't have it anymore, I totally jacked up my very first Spyderco PM2. I was new to S30V and could not get the same kind of edge I would get on my carbon steel Case knives. Needless to say, I kept sharpening and sharpening when I should have stopped and asked someone with experience. I was that guy who never pulls over and asks for directions, now I ask.
That poor knife gave its life so that I could master sharpening S30V. Diamonds and a 50 cent magic marker made all the difference.

I just use a mug or a cheap ceramic rod. If it can cut paper it's good enough for me

Out of frustration I used a chisel to do the job of a screwdriver for a small stubborn screw. It worked fine and did the job perfectly. For the chisel, not so much.

Used an endura to edge a driveway and other weird tasks. Scratched up and looks like a beater in which it is. Beat the izula like the punisher. Took the coating off the izula and has had surface rust, etc. I can say These two knives have never let me down.

Scraped paint, pried wooden floors and stabbed ice

DSC07119_zpsqqvsz1zb.jpg

Wrist flicking a Spyderco 2nd Gen Police model so bad that when now locked open the blade just flops up and down. Damn.......I wish I didn't do that.

Not to be a buzz kill, but I don't abuse knives. I try to baby everything I own - to the extent possible - to make it last and to prevent injury. This derives from the way my father was, who died in 2014. He grew up dirt poor, and I remember him saying that when he was a young lad he had a toy truck. This was maybe 1938, believe it or not. He said that his dad - who died in 1939 at a young age - told my dad to be careful not to flex the little metal dump truck. And so that was ingrained in my dad, who ingrained it in me. My mother still has that little truck.

I'm always somewhat fascinated - and repulsed - when I see people abusing their stuff. Nutnfancy does this. He throws his sunglasses in a box or whatever with no care if they get scratched or destroyed. He drops his toys on the table, or throws them in the back of his truck, with no care whether he breaks things. Its sorta fascinating to me that people don't give a rat's @ss about their stuff.

The upside of my "careful" approach to life its that my toys tend to last and last. My Suburban has 170K on it - I know, no big deal - but I'll keep driving that sucker until it turns into powder. And I'm relatively easy on it. Stuff tends to last that way. I'm not averse to using things hard if I have to. But really, I never have to. I pry with a pry bar. I hit with a hammer. And I cut with a knife. No biggy.

During winter time I have dropped a knife once or twice. Sometimes on hard surfaces, other times in snow. Even split up some frozen logs before..... with an ax. Now I have to have bright colored handles so I don't lose them in my distracted state.

What knives have stood your abuse and which ones failed? Pics please and how it happened and failed/succeeded. Should be intresting

Broke the blade off of a cheap import cutting down on zip ties. Upgraded to a Spyderco Gayle Bradley and one of the best decisions regarding knives I have made.

Well I don't consider my machetes to be knives, but they're constantly chopping in or around the ground and always hitting rocks. They don't chip though that simply ding which I can hammer and sharpen out in no time.

The worst thing I've done to a knife though is, one time I was using old western f48a to carve on a hatchet handle I had in my vice and I slipped and nicked my edge on the vice.
Other than that I don't hard use or abuse my knives because I always have the right tool for the job and hand no requirement for even a folder that locks ( still like own and use locking folders though )

The worst abuse I've done to a knife is store it aware to not be used, locked it in a dungeon to waste it's useful purpose.

I have finally learned to keep my fancier knives away from yard work. I don't want to carry a tool belt in the yard, so my leatherman and my knife get pushed into borderline abusive tasks like prying, scraping, and cutting into dirt. These ones are not too old and I haven't damaged them. I clean them well when they need it. I love an Emerson for yard work because of the ergos, toughness, and easy access.
K9Mynyf_dy-kAf1stDwWdkNXeq9KCTHRRZ-f_wlcuo4I7JenLMocWoEwJjZ8uTMFfae5-fihViit51P5KzEOnlvmWB9WpT6JBuXDI3zfK6lcyOZFZ_ijTK8UOeVXrkNWm3Ko3_TPN1NmHSmoDMLQnnujGcapFCSCpM3lJqldtDK4_KCg1KZTGXkGn1os7CEwyNzdJjsImj5-dQ9MB6q0SjSgtpaee_4zqoIDxVfGmf-UQbOTpiJCk7jALW8wi--ZdsrVmqSGh7O2e1ulw5eljwb2LsXXD3TwpE8VZ6GM54hRkq3tIuV6PRLKufPeV4jFzE4s4Pjh4D66uHKMwSW0MBCGgZjlplwh9UDtB4mI-GERhxPVDy6UT41g_m6Z-B7wcF2amtdHkECf9xFOvFoV4w5M2YV5ZQFUQHi2njQCRfRGBbI3EbBJ__MkEZ1CJ9MaMkPUSwIFE6hbXfT6ZqQJApwjONbMqZNhUZAewNF4QcZFoOdpEL8dg3nASzvMEnqkM8LoV9IPZCA1gHJVsjzJUoJLXmM7pTsOqaQWUOpbJ3sYH1rVbq7zm-1Py__t7_gJoKvU88hb4AUpCamwcDx-92NjhEsTvw-ojWm-lspVxGgZ5mTw=w853-h1517-no

Not to be a buzz kill, but I don't abuse knives. I try to baby everything I own - to the extent possible - to make it last and to prevent injury. This derives from the way my father was, who died in 2014. He grew up dirt poor, and I remember him saying that when he was a young lad he had a toy truck. This was maybe 1938, believe it or not. He said that his dad - who died in 1939 at a young age - told my dad to be careful not to flex the little metal dump truck. And so that was ingrained in my dad, who ingrained it in me. My mother still has that little truck.

I'm always somewhat fascinated - and repulsed - when I see people abusing their stuff. Nutnfancy does this. He throws his sunglasses in a box or whatever with no care if they get scratched or destroyed. He drops his toys on the table, or throws them in the back of his truck, with no care whether he breaks things. Its sorta fascinating to me that people don't give a rat's @ss about their stuff.

The upside of my "careful" approach to life its that my toys tend to last and last. My Suburban has 170K on it - I know, no big deal - but I'll keep driving that sucker until it turns into powder. And I'm relatively easy on it. Stuff tends to last that way. I'm not averse to using things hard if I have to. But really, I never have to. I pry with a pry bar. I hit with a hammer. And I cut with a knife. No biggy.

True words - I am the same way!

I grew up poor and remember that we had to make things last.

The worst for me was I bought a knife and left it in the safe and didn't use it

Roger that!

Back