WW2 USMC KA BAR or Post War KA BAR

Thank you for confirming what I thought was correct. I recently helped a friend sell his collection of German and Japanese bayonets along with a Ground Rohm SA Dagger and a US PAL M3 fighting knife, included in the collection was this USMC KA BAR. I told him that I wanted this because my dad was a WWII Marine Corp Vet and that I would pay him a fair reduced price for all the time I had over the past months on the computer, phone, light cleaning and shipping. As I was pricing this one out, I came across one being sold by an antique dealer that was identical and was listed as a Post WWII era KA BAR. The only difference I could see was the Snap was on the opposite side of the sheath. After some more digging, I came across some information in another Post on this forum that had an image from the "US Military Knives Bayonets & Machetes book III by M.H. Cole". explaining the differences of the blade marked KA BARs but not the sheaths. I'm definitely at ease, knowing it is correct.
Thanks Again, your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

You're quite welcome! Cole has some mistakes. Frank Trzaska's Military Knife site has better US military knife info.

I think it's a seventh & last gen WW2 Mk2 also called the fat handle USMC Ka-Bar. That's an 80+ year old knife and FWIW, do yourself a favor and saddle soap the handle every so often to keep the leather washers hydrated and to prevent shrinkage. I also use light colored neatsfoot oil on my leather handles. I would also oil or wax the blade as well to keep any condensation and ultimately corrosion off the blade, guard and pommel. And lastly put some kind of leather preservative like mink oil or light colored neatsfoot oil on the sheath to keep it from shrinking and cracking. It might darken it but I'd rather have a dark supple leather than dried up and cracking leather. Just my $0.02.

Back