WWIII Micarta - Please cast your vote

Bummer no more green handles;( Anyway I vote for the shiney black micarta. Thats what the Randall #14 has and it has held up extremly well plus it looks superb.

Either way I can make it matt or shiney after I get it if I am not happy(NOT Very Likely).

Cheers,

ts

------------------
Guns are for show. Knifes are for Pros.

Just for those who may have missed the original thread that gave birth to the WWIII concept I`ll go over it quick. WWII blade, overall low glare/rust retardant finish,full tang (lengthened a bit for hammering), non slip micarta grip scales,lanyard hole,kydex sheath. We lost the "hammer" tang and low glare rust resistant finish so far already. There`s no lanyard hole on the blades, I`m *hoping* the plan is to add one during the attachment of the grip slabs. If it also looses the non slip textured grip it gets even farther off course. With a shiney blued blade, slippery grip and no lanyard hole we`re almost back where we started IMO. Marcus

I have to go with Marcus. But I appreciate all of your efforts Craig hang in there I am sure it will be worth it. I think that the finish on the blade is not as important as the handle make up and shape. Also I sure would like that lanyard hole.

Marcus hit the nail on the head. We're throwing out a lot of the great ideas that got us all so excited and enthused about the WW3 in the first place. Let's stay true to the original intent.

(IMHO)

Craig,

Being a Marine officer is kinda different from being a businessman huh? Now you have to make everybody else happy.
wink.gif

P1445: Yes, some Rogaine would be great!

Marcus' post was very insightful. By the way, Marcus - we are going to drill the tang for a lanyard hole - that was a great part of the concept that didn't seem to make it through customs
smile.gif
. However, we are going to add one.

As for the finish: The reason we stuck with blued finish is because it can be easily touched up by anybody. One thing that I didn't want to happen was to create a blade that people were afraid to use because they didn't want to "ruin" the finish.

This might demonstrate my total lack of understanding about micarta - but can't we deliver the handles shiney and let people "matte" them by buffing? I usually do some customizing on almost every weapon I get. This may be the way to satisfy all parties.

In any case, despite what y'all may think, I am having a great time with this project - learning all sorts of things as I go along. Rest assured - this will not be my last custom job. Now that I have the concept firmly in the minds of the Kamis, it'll be easy to say "Hey, give me an Ang Khola made like the WWIII." All sorts of possibilities come to mind. No, they won't be numbered, but yes, people'd be able to order a custom finish and handle. I WONT be starting that project, though, until after some of my hair has grown back.
smile.gif

Whatever the case - I am committed to trying to stay as true to Marcus's brilliant idea while satisfying the greatest number of you - this project is my way of saying thanks for all of the wonderful support and patience GH has enjoyed during it's growth.

Craig.

Craig yer gonna give me a swelled head yet!
wink.gif
I`m really glad to hear the lanyard hole will be included,it`s the one thing my Bhojpure is missing to be a really super working chopper. Micarta works much like wood where finishes are concerned. If you polish it it`ll shine like a mirror but be slippery. If you leave a rough sanded finish or better yet bead blast it it has a texture that makes it easy to grip and is non glare. You can still see the "grain" either way. It`s probably easier to polish a bead blasted finish than the other way around since not everyone has a bead blasting cabinet handy. BTW bead blasting the blades before hot blueing would result in a satiny blue that *may* please almost everyone,just a thought. FWIW if the facilities are available to the handle maker blasting some of the blades would take almost no time at all. Thanks again for all the time and effort you`re investing in this project! It`s gonna be awesome!
smile.gif
Marcus

Common Craig, you're forgetting my contributions to the project. Sniff sniff.
frown.gif

I'm glad we're going the custom route BTW. I always did want to fit my Spydie Moran to the WW3. Hmmm, maybe a steeling rod too. A contest it is. I bet I'll have the coolest rig. WWIII must be a fashionable war
biggrin.gif

You said it. However, I do enjoy making people happy. That's really what the WWIII is all about. By now, I'll never recover all the time I've spent given the price range that the WWIII will fall into, but I'm having a blast and learning a boat load.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back