XHP Steel?

Yes, there are posts here and elsewhere from Dozier and Hinderer, among others. Not like 154CM at all. Well, they're both steel. ;)

It should be closer to CPM D2. You might do a search in the Knifemaker's section . It will have smaller carbides than D2 and all the advatages of the powder metal steels like CPM - easier to sharpen ,tougher .

Not doubting you at all, but how did Hinderer and Dozier get their hands on some? Group buy??? :D

I know they have made some steel available to knifemakers for evaluation.

The piece that Bark River got was just big enough to cut 30 3" blades (7" overall) out of.

Les George also has some of it he has used in some of his folders.

Mike Stewart has said that they seem to be willing to reduce that amout to $10,000 per order, but I believe that is still for any given thickness (i.e. $10,000 worth for each thickness of stock you require).

I would imagine (and hope) that overtime they will make it available in smaller quanties or work with a distributor to make this steel more readily available to knifemakers.

The question remains will this steel prove worth its high price?

But only real world testing and use will answer that question.

Big Mike

Last edited:
Spyderco has done a fair amount of testing on CTS-XHP with very good results. Carpenter Steel has been great to work with and our first production folder made from CTS-XHP will be coming out in a few weeks.

Good stuff.

sal

Back