Yojimbo Lock Pinch

Anyhow, SOLUTION: grip the knife scales with the pads of your fingers like your supposed to fret a guitar or play a piano. Bueno! No problems.

Alternate solution: stick with locks that don't have exposed pinch points on the spine.

Alternate solution: stick with locks that don't have exposed pinch points on the spine.
Yeah but I never had this problem or even experienced it until I REALLY tried to duplicate what some have experienced.

This knife feels great to me as I naturally choose to hold and open it.

I agree though.. if your anatomy causes a problem there are plenty of great options

Mine pinches me as well, so I gave it to my wife. It doesn't pinch her.

I assume that any compression lock will also bite me so I avoid them.

Ok ouch! I figured out how to pinch myself after reading this. NO it’s not been an issue until now.

So.. I normally hold my yojimbo (or other similar) with the pads of my fingers on the scales (just over the belt clip). As long as your finger pads are pressed down I do t think you’ll ever get pinched.
But if you have a fat grip on The scales and the pads f your fingers are not upright the meat of your fingers press into the frame lock.

Anyhow, SOLUTION: grip the knife scales with the pads of your fingers like your supposed to fret a guitar or play a piano. Bueno! No problems.
Eureka! By holding my fingers so the tips are perpendicular to the knife handle surface (I guess that's what you are calling, "scales," no mo Yojimbo biting! Thanks for that tip! Now I don't have to return the knife to Spiderco!!

Maybe Im crazy but I actually like the feeling of the tiny pinch when using a compression lock.

I cant remember what knife it happens with but Im thinking the Caribbean.

Its not like oh my god it hurts!

I've been practicing and finally found a way to avoid the pinch. I put the tip of my forefinger on the tip end of the pocket clip and flip open the blade with my thumb and it seems to work every time! Personally, I don't like getting pinched!!

I'm in the camp of never getting pinched, but I just played around with one and can see how a finger with just the right of fat or maybe even looser skin could wrap around into the the void between the scale and lockbar when trying to push it over to close it, is this what we're talking about? I do agree a button implementation like the smock is a much more sophisticated design, wish it was on the PM2, M2, or more knives in general. Other wise I love me some mid lockbacks they may be an older design and less trendy these days but man are they sexy in the old tried and true 1911 firearm kind of way. And if you really want to get "fidgety" with them you can still snap them closed with your fingers out of the way just like an overrated axis lock that everyone's mom and dog likes to copy on these days.

I'm in the camp of never getting pinched, but I just played around with one and can see how a finger with just the right of fat or maybe even looser skin could wrap around into the the void between the scale and lockbar when trying to push it over to close it, is this what we're talking about? I do agree a button implementation like the smock is a much more sophisticated design, wish it was on the PM2, M2, or more knives in general. Other wise I love me some mid lockbacks they may be an older design and less trendy these days but man are they sexy in the old tried and true 1911 firearm kind of way. And if you really want to get "fidgety" with them you can still snap them closed with your fingers out of the way just like an overrated axis lock that everyone's mom and dog likes to copy on these days.
My pinch occurs when I open the knife. If I have my finger tips perpenduclar to the surface of the handle, the pinching doesn't occur, but my grip on the knife is less scure. A number of times the half-open knife flies out of my hand!

My brother in law got pinched when I handed him my Yojimbo to try. I've experienced it but only occasionally if I use my thumb to open. I recently grabbed a blem set of the AWT scales on a whim during black friday for cheap and the pinch was gone for my brother in law. First thing he noticed when checking out the knife with the AWT scales installed. Guessing the thumb notch for the compression lock is slightly bigger or something on the AWT scales.

My brother in law got pinched when I handed him my Yojimbo to try. I've experienced it but only occasionally if I use my thumb to open. I recently grabbed a blem set of the AWT scales on a whim during black friday for cheap and the pinch was gone for my brother in law. First thing he noticed when checking out the knife with the AWT scales installed. Guessing the thumb notch for the compression lock is slightly bigger or something on the AWT scales.
What is a "blem" set and what are AWT scales?

You're asking the wrong guy. I've never handled, touched, or even seen a Yojimbo.

Thanks! Is it likely that the AWT scales would give a more secure grip than the what the Yojimbo 2 comes with?

The AWT's don't really change the ergonomics and the factory G10 scales have a more aggressive texture in comparison. The surface on the AWT's does have some subtle texturing to them so they're not slippery really. What I really wanted them for was the slight weight reduction since they omit the right side liner on the knife. The no pinching on opening was just a small difference I noticed but I don't know if it was actual design aspect they were going for.

Get the CME, Compression Made Easy. Easy to install and works great. Eliminates the issue.

Back