Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

First RCB and the only one that's ever appealed.
I like the knife (after removing the intensely shiny finish in favour of a rubbed satin bolster, shield and covers) and it will certainly get used but its lacking, seems too clinical? Not sure I'd even class it as a Traditional? Thoughts..
IMG-2326.jpg

Last edited:
I like the knife (after removing the intensely shiny finish in favour of a rubbed satin bolster, shield and covers) and it will certainly get used but its lacking, seems too clinical? Not sure I'd even class it as a Traditional? Thoughts..
IMG-2326.jpg
I would definitely call that particular one as traditional. Satin is the way to go!!! Does the kick rest on the back spring or does it have a pin that acts like a blade stop? I’m curious.

I would definitely call that particular one as traditional. Satin is the way to go!!! Does the kick rest on the back spring or does it have a pin that acts like a blade stop? I’m curious.
Paul I just got one of these and the kick rests on a pin. I have two more and am pretty sure they’re the same. All three of the ones I have come very sharp. I hope Rosecraft stays with straight up traditional patterns. I like this one a lot.

IMG-2326.jpg
I like it and it's certainly Traditional. Maybe with use and knocking it about a bit you'll like it more ?:cool: Plenty would give it a good home too.

Thanks, Will

Yes as mentioned above they have the stop pin but I can’t tell if it’s the kick it’s coming into contact with or whether it’s actually sitting in the sharpening choil? Another aspect that sort of has me questioning how traditional this traditional knife is the integral frame.
I like it and it's certainly Traditional. Maybe with use and knocking it about a bit you'll like it more ?:cool: Plenty would give it a good home too.

Thanks, Will
Will, it’s been on the back of my belt at work since I’ve got it, lovely stout blade on it that surely has plenty of life and the satin finish I’ve done is holding up nicely against dings and dinks so far.
As a folder for actually working with I’m very grateful of its authentic look and style compared to alternatives but it’s clearly got machined parts, it’s too perfect, you know what I mean? It’s almost posing as something inferior 😂 I’m sure there’s a name for that???

Tommy

H Honest_Thomas :D You like your knives to have some of the notorious Traditional traditions then Tommy ? Gaps, blade-play, blunt on arrival, uneven pin finish ?;)🤣 I do know what you mean though, certain Customs can seem rather sterile as though they are not meant for use (many aren't used actually) I'm rather interested in this model but they're not available in the EU, only America & Britain it seems.

Think the bone looks quite interesting and could be Camel, D2 will patinate if you cut fruits with it and it keeps a tidy edge. Some people complain that stop-pins muffle the talk on a knife but prefer that to blade rap any day! You mentioned integral frame, do you mean bolsters and liners as one piece? Integral bolsters. This was a mark of quality long ago but got replaced in mass production by soldered bolsters and the increasing use of brass as liners. Interestingly, the Modern Traditionals such as Viper and Lionsteel all use integral bolster construction in titanium to great effect in my view.

Here's a link I hope some might find of interest with knife dating as it has to do with aesthetics too.

Just picked up my first opinel. One question I have is to help reduce the swelling around the pivot, could a little beeswax melted and dripped in help?
Nice choice 😉
I bought my first opinel a couple of years ago. They are interesting knives with a long history, not to mention fantastic slicers. Like you I had swelling around the pivot, I'm in a humid environment alot (Southern U.S.) btw.
I wouldn't recommend bees wax at all for the joint though. Bees wax is good for a wood seal/protectant from the elements on the outside but absolutely horrible for lubrication.
There's lots of threads on the subject. Here's a useful one I found, I hope this helps 👍

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-do-you-loosen-up-a-sticky-opinel.1189080/

Edit to add: J jackknife had some great suggestions in said thread.

Last edited:
Nice choice 😉
I bought my first opinel a couple of years ago. They are interesting knives with a long history, not to mention fantastic slicers. Like you I had swelling around the pivot, I'm in a humid environment alot (Southern U.S.) btw.
I wouldn't recommend bees wax at all for the joint though. Bees wax is good for a wood seal/protectant from the elements on the outside but absolutely horrible for lubrication.
There's lots of threads on the subject. Here's a useful one I found, I hope this helps 👍

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-do-you-loosen-up-a-sticky-opinel.1189080/

Edit to add: J jackknife had some great suggestions in said thread.
Thank you! I was hoping there was already a thread about it, but I didn’t find one when I was looking.

In today's ail call (delivered Saturn's Day) From Young Mr. Sir RickHuf RickHuf . Many thanks. 😇👍
Stropped it, and dropped it into my pocket.
Antonini (L) Old Bear friction folder.
American Walnut handle, w1.4060 nitrogen stainless blade.
View attachment 2560492
I think it will be at least as good of slicer as my OPINEL N°6 and the two MAM's I have. 😇🤞👍
I was using the smaller one to cut weed barrier and other outdoor activities over the past week. Had to put it on the stone every day for the first few days. After that it seemed to hold an edge a bit better and responds well to a strop.

Overall I like it so far. I'm gonna beat on mine a bit more before comparing it to the opinel. I do love the opinel #7 so it's going to be a tough battle.

Back