Your "other" outdoor sports, and the gear that makes it happen.

Curious what everyone's into. Don't see many posts about mountain biking, skiing, or other gear-intensive sports where people get out and compete, or just have fun.

Aside from hiking and camping, I only have a few outdoor activities, and am fairly new at them.

Anyway, here's mine:
-Toproping(rock climbing). Haven't done any trad or sport climbing, and have no great desire to.
Got into toproping with a coworker last year, and it became a regular thing, sometimes twice a week.
imgp1182.jpg

Lost my partners due to their schedules changing, but read about self-belayed toproping while looking for ways to climb alone other than bouldering.
First time solo, yesterday, testing things out on an easy wall.
Gear works great, though I've got to work on positioning the ascender, and transitioning to rappel.
I'm excited, and sore all over after not climbing in four months!
imgp2626f.jpg

(pack is tensioning the rope, so it feeds through the ascender, minimizing fall distance)
imgp2640e.jpg
imgp2624m.jpg

The gear list would be pretty long. I have separate Mystery Ranch flat bags for carabiners and belay devices, webbing and cord, a heavy-duty anchor strap, and now one for dedicated solo climbing so all the stuff that's going on my harness is in one place.
New for solo: Bluewater Accelerator 10.5mm Double Dry 60m dynamic rope, Petzl Microcender.

-When it doesn't interfere with hiking or climbing, I do some tame kayaking on the Coosa River, some local lakes and creeks.
My kayak is a sit-on-top, and not for whitewater, and a short class 3 is the roughest I've been through with it.
91171238646969357132474.jpg

Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Stohlquist aSea PFD, and Manta Ray Hybrid TLC paddle.

Played golf Monday for the first time in 17 years with a friend from work. That's outdoorsy!
May get my dad's old clubs, and keep doing it.
High wind, and tornado sirens going off in the background. We both played horribly, and didn't bother keeping score after the first two holes, since we were both par x2. Lots of fun, though!
imgp2623y.jpg

What are you doing out there, and what do you do it with?

Last edited:
Packrafting!

With a custom Alpacka Raft, Denali Llama Packraft with fitted spraydeck, and a standard Alpacka Raft Dory/Explorer Packraft, plus Sawyer Packraft paddle and Stormy Seas EXP100 Expedition life vests.
happy0054.gif

Packraft, paddle and life vest pack small and weigh very little.
happy0034.gif

As you can see from this video of two US Packrafter's, these boats can go climbing too!

http://youtu.be/DLCowzqoLw4

I love four wheeling with my Jeep. I carry the usual stuff, chains, straps, shackles, jack, etc. Don't have a winch (yet). It's one of my passions....

Jeeps are cool. One of those things I always wanted, just to have and play with.

As you can see from this video of two US Packrafter's, these boats can go climbing too!

http://youtu.be/DLCowzqoLw4
Wow. Talk about putting it all together. That's a lot of adventure packed into one day! Awesome.
Your Denali weighs less than 1/8 what my Manta Ray does:eek:

I've been a sea kayaker for 15 years. I paddle a 16ft Dagger Meridian in San Francisco Bay. I've been using a Greenland paddle I carved for the last 5 years. It's a joy to be out on the water, and I love the connection with the skin boat hunters of arctic.

Check this out. Make sure you watch it in it's entirety. (Is this a W&SS forumite?)

[youtube]tEt85rlKCXo&feature=related[/youtube]

My greenland paddle is made of Cedar, and it happened to be a very light piece of lumber. It's as lighter than some fiberglass paddles, but not lighter than carbon fiber. The paddle is strong, though. It has withstood the rigors of ocean surf.

Carving your own paddle is rite of passage. Nothing like using what you made with your bare hands.

I have a canoe, my brothers have canoes and kayaks.I also have a Bass Baby plastic boat. The canoe and bass baby replaced my bass boat. I can no longer zoom around the big lakes and fish tournaments and stuff, but can fish water not accessible to the big boats.

2009-7-19007-1.jpg

2009-7-19001.jpg

Though I admit it's a bit nerdy, I do go Geocaching pretty often. My Delorme PN-40 handheld GPS makes it happen.

Stand-up paddle boarding, mountain biking, skiing and back into climbing after WAY too long.

Jeff

shooting sports
USPSA G34

3 gun
RRA 16inch flat top 4x32 ACOG/ Colt 16inch flat top 1.5x16 ACOG
Benelli M1S90 21inch
G34

Clays/Skeet
Browning Citori GTI

Scooter
Yamaha FJR

Traditional Archery
Mountain Biking
Fishing

and of course backpacking/dayhiking/car camping

I've always wanted to get a kayak, but with all my other hobbies, it's hard to justify the price of a kayak.:mad:

My primary outdoor "sport" is work. Underground utility maintenance/locating/surveying stuff. I doubt any of the gear for that would be interesting to anyone here. ;)

I do play golf a couple of times a year, but I'm awful and only have a set of $99 walmart clubs. I would like to try geocaching someday.

i mountain bike frequently...behold my awesome face-plant (fast-forward to the 18 sec mark)...my first of 2 that day :D

[youtube]JWcYof-IieY[/youtube]

for friendly competition among friends, a little track day driving here and there.
[youtube]nPNcrWi1uo4[/youtube]

Which sport to start with...

I have 3 mountain bikes, but haven't ridden my full suspension Kona In probably 2 years. All my MTB time has been mostly on my Norco trials bike or my single speed 24"DMR trailstar.

Then there's the Fishing/flyfishing stuff, the hunting/shooting gear. My car hobby probably takes up at least as much time as all the other's though, I'm hoping to have my Forester running well into the low 13's if even quicker.

I'm not into many "gear intensive" activities anymore because they're too expensive. However, I used to be very much into off road racing, mostly the baja 500/1000 and later many of the smaller races.
Orienteering- only gear needed is a map, compass and clothing
Running- only gear needed is clothing
Shooting- NRA pistol and service rifle, USPSA, IDPA- already have most of what's needed, still saving for a dillon 1050
Surfing- had a wet suit and board since I was 14 or so
Swimming- only gear needed is trunks
I love kayaking but don't own one
I want to get into photography too

Back