Zaan Tanto vs Drop Point

So I'm in love with everything about this knife. However, I'm looking for your thoughts on the actually utility of a tanto vs a drop point blade. I have plenty of drop points but have never used a tanto before. Your thoughts are appreciated.

my first Umnumzaan was the Tanto. I've been through plenty of drop point Zaans... OP, Wilson, New Pivot, etc. Never sold the Tanto. Just bought another clip point but the tanto is my favorite.

Although I've got Zaans with both blades, find my self reaching for the tanto more frequently for edc.
Strangely I do prefer the way the standard blade looks, the harpoon swedge is awesome!

Older pics, but why not...

Qr6dkkKh.jpg

Noporphh.jpg

rd4CEJ5h.jpg

Never have been a big fan of tanto blades. The CRK tanto has been a better useful blade than others I've had in the past. I like that it isn't a long,thin tanto.
Now, I've got several CRK tanto blades.

I've been lusting after a Tanto Zaan of late but, after seeing a Tanto 21 Micarta Inlay for a great deal I jumped on it. Not a Zaan but my first delve into the tanto world.

I think the tanto is a great and very useful grind. You essentially have two tips and two edges, and as such you really get the ability to think about how you'll approach a certain task. For some people that might be annoying, but for a knife guy I think that's a dream come true.

In general I love straight edged blades, or blades with a little belly like wharncliffe styles and the like. I think the CRK tanto grind gives you that type of straight-ish edge while giving you the bonus of that super strong tip and secondary edge.

I think sometimes people look at a tanto grind and think "aggressive" or "tactical" or "self defense". I hoped that, getting one in my hand, I would instead think "useful", which I definitely what happened. My next knife is going to be a tanto Zaan, no question!

If you have any other, more specific questions then let me know!

I may sound like a broken record, but the 'Zaan is great! My first and favorite CRK.

If you haven't read it, there has been at least one recent thread about CRK tantos. This is definately worth a read if you haven't already as it covers your question well: http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/talk-me-into-or-out-of-a-tanto-blade.1503174/

I have both. FWIW my opinion is the harpoon/drop point is probably a "better" all around blade due to its belly...but the tanto is arguably sexier and I carry it more. Given an assortment of other drop points (and the fact I'm not using it for lots of food prep or game dressing), personally I would opt for the tanto.

Gratuitous Umnumzaan pic is required. :)
840DAE51-3C46-4EE5-B958-75665E146B3D.JPG

Last edited:
I don't have a Zaan Tanto but a Large 21 Tanto with the dynamic tip ... and I had never thought I'd have much use for a tanto but it is the only tanto that impressed me enough to keep it and its great for many uses ... CRK does the tanto right IMHO.

Personally I love the harpoon style Zaan it just looks right ... but don't think you can go wrong either way.

I'll chime in here. I've raised this point elsewhere, but it bears mentioning. Some have said the tanto edge is hard to sharpen and easy to roll/round off the corner of the edge.

Not so.

I am a novice sharpener. I use the sharpmaker and sat down with my tanto 'zaan last night. I have the main and tanto edges both hair shaving, phonebook paper slicing sharp. If I can do that... anyone can.

Not a big fan of tanto blades in general there are very few tanto blades that I actually like but still do not own one. The regular blade is just more useful to me and easier to sharpen. Don't have to worry about the 2 different edges.

Back