Zippos and Innertubes...

ok...this is a topic i just caught into on another thread and i thought instead of it dissapearing in that thread i would move it here.

I have been conducting an expieriment for over 3 months now with two zippos...
i live in oklahoma and this test was conducted in my house in a climate controlled room....

parameters: Length of shelf life of filled lighter sealed and unsealed with NO USE.

subjects of test: 2 full sized zippo lighters and 1 sealing rubber strip. seal is 1 inch wide strip of mountain bike inner tube i kyped from my wifes front tire.
here are the test findings..

week 1
A. filled till dripping from wick closed with no seal after 6 days 6 was dry.
B. Filled same way and rubber seal applied. Lit first try.
A was refilled and B just re sealed
Week 2
same findings
Week 3
Same
Week 4
A lasted 8 days
B no change
Week 5
same
week 6
A lasted 7 days
B no change
week 7
same
Week 8
same
week 9
same
week 10
same
week 11
A lasted only 4 days due to what i think was extreme temperature and humidity changes...
B is just now starting to she signs of fuel evaporation and depletion.

My conclusions...adding a rubber sealed lighter to you kit will increase your fire starting ability to be sure, but they do have a shelf life and depending on the regularity of use of your kit they can not be depended on for long term storage.

The added life that the rubber band seal offers is worth the time and effort ( which is none) of putting one on and having it.

( plus if you are really cold and have some dexterity loss due to temperature the rubber seal will aid in the gripping of the lighter.)

Very good post. I'm a long time Zippo user. Even though I don't smoke anymore, I still carry one.

Excellent experiment-very scientific and useful! Did you notice any breakdown of the inner tube from the butane fumes?

It's good to buy Zippos - if they make enough money, maybe they'll rescue another American knife company.

Thanks!

i noticed no break down in the rubber band i used....but hell i got so many of them it really wouldnt matter !

Zippos/naptha lighters are dinosaurs. Butane disposable lighters just work better.

Get one of the Z-light butane inserts for your Zippo. Best of both worlds!--KV

I couldn't be bothered with all that because the lighter sees frequent use. Nice to see that someone ran with a test for storage though. Good stuff. Plus the tredder tube burns.

Liking the word "kyped" too.

Excellent post and a very simple suggestion that now makes the zippo a useful outdoors item. My biggest issue was trust of the thing and after having the same 'run-dry' after a week of disuse happen to me I just tossed the thing on the basis that I felt it wasn't worth it except for a day trip.

Having the confidence that this item would last 11 weeks if sealed properly all of a sudden makes it a great back-up item for use in extended camping. I think I just might re-vist the zippo with this post. Thanks and great job!

The reason I love a zippo is that it is a lighter that you can hold the flame for an extended time. Every bic I've used heats up the fuel tab and shield after about 30 s forcing you to cut the fuel. They also tend to produce really whimpy little flames compared to what a zippo can produce. Of course that is going to waste fuel, but if you really need that fire going then you. You can also access that zippo fuel directly if you need this to help the fire along and include the rubber tube as suggested by Btaco. Having a zippo also makes you look cool, and some of us need every bit of help we can in that compartment :D

I've tried the bike-tire-tube-on-Zippo thing, it helps for a while for sure.
But still the fuel evaporates too fast.
I've shelved my Zippos in favor of peanut lighters.
They are o-ringed airtight and there are no evaporation problems.
And the peanut takes up less space, i keep one on my keychain.

I don't smoke, i just like lighters!
lol.
If i smoked i'd probably go back to Zippos as they are more ergonomic and more fun to play with.

Once again, though, the problem with being cold and losing fine motor skills is being ignored. When this happens, good luck lighting your Bic. With a Zippo, you can still light it with gloves on by running it down the side of your leg to open it, and running it down your leg, again, to light it.

I carry a Zippo in cold weather and I fill it before going out. I also use a ranger band to cut down on any evaporation issues, and has been pointed out, the rubber can be used to enhance the beginning fire. In fact, I keep a couple of ranger bands on the lighter for this very purpose.

lighterx3.jpg

Having said this, I never carry just one type of fire making equipment.

BTW, excellent test, Langston. Thanks for sharing the results. :thumbup:

Oh, and th, I also have peanut lighters but have the same problem with fine-skills-impaired hands due to their size.

Doc

You're right Doc if you make sure to fill your Zippo up before you go anywhere and you won't have a problem.
When i go out i have a peanut on me (and a ferro rod), a peanut in my pack (and a ferro rod), and a Bic or two and matches.

Zippo really needs to come up with a Zippo 2.0 though.
I guess mostly they are more concerned with collectors than actual users.

Reminds me of Maglite and the way they dragged their heels on the whole LED thing.

Oh, and th, I also have peanut lighters but have the same problem with fine-skills-impaired hands due to their size.

Doc

Yeah i agree with you, Zippos are easy to light than the peanuts, especially when you have cold hands.
And Zippos are more fun to play with!
But for me the peanut is great cause its on my keychain all the time, i forget its there until i need it.
Its size is unobtrusive and it will never run dry unless i leave it opened or use up the fuel.
Maybe someone could make a hybrid model that has the ergonomics of the Zippo and the fuel-longevity of the peanut.

Try and light a BIC in the wind when your at sea or in a storm keep trying and trying Zippo works and as posted easier to light.

Zippos are good lighters,its the fluid that is the week link. It just doesnt last anymore. they were issued to troops in WW2 and when filled would last for many weeks. I heard that now they have removed certain elements of the fluid for safety reasons (to many kids sniffing it ) I prefer to carry a bic or 2 . By the way, the Zippo museum is a great place to visit if you ever get to Bradford .

Great post Langy....Thanks for the info,Though I do not own a Zippo,I due carry several Bic's in kydex sheaths,one cliped to my bag and mini bic around neck

there is something just so bad ass about that *ka-chink* sound

so bad ass in fact Zippo patented it

I don't like lighters for making fire but after reading this post I dug up a couple of Zippo's from the early 60's to see if they would work. They haven't been used in years. New wicks, flints, and fluid and zippo-fire. The formula for the fuel must have been changed. If I carry a lighter it will be a Zippo. Do you remember tossing a cig in the air-catching it in your lips-popping the lid on your zippo with a two finger slide-snapping your finger at the spark wheel and lighting up?

I carry a Zippo and a couple Bics and water proof matches and book matches and a fire steel and a nasal spray bottle of alcohol plus cotton balls. In North Dakota in the fall and winter, you better be able to start a fire in a hurry.

A WWII Vet that worked in our family store for many years said he and his buddies always had their Zippo's during the war and instead of the issued lighter fluid (if they could get it) they filled em with cognac. Would last longer than the issued fluid according to him. Time tested and a true classic!!!

Back