Zulu Spears

Lets see some Zulu Spears! I can't find a thread with a good compilation of the Zulu Spear.

fee6e72431b74498ce4b7989d760fb04.jpg

9379355e366ab6f2dfa217430ebc3a88.jpg

c97e89589861e609cfff1afcf496168a.jpg

I've got/had a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert, but those don't look like they are Zulu, not even African. I think they are European. ;)

I'm no expert, but those don't look like they are Zulu, not even African. I think they are European. ;)

I don't think any are euro. The Zulus made a number of blade shapes. However, I am no expert on Zulu spears.

DSCN1631_zpskygmlljl.jpg

Rag micarta from Javan. Bret used ATS-34 ss on this blade & it's a cutter for sure

- well, almost a zulu spear, but thought such a nice piece was hopefully worth showing...

damascus%20spearhead.jpg

- and these too

spearpoints.jpg

Last edited:
For the embarrassingly uninformed, What differentiates a Zulu Spear point from a non-Zulu Spear point?? :eek:

For the embarrassingly uninformed, What differentiates a Zulu Spear point from a non-Zulu Spear point?? :eek:

From Mr. Russell

"The Zulu Spear Blade first appeared in a 1920s Schrade Catalog, no other history is available. The shape is a little different from the common spear blade, the point drops a bit more with a remarkable change in shape and attractiveness."

The very bottom of this page

Depending on how you look at it, either a lower tip or less belly. Think half way between a spear and a wharncliffe.

Here is one I reground myself just to try it out, since I like the copperhead bolster on a single blade. Started out as a clip blade.

ZuluCLvinylopen_zpsc01096e2.jpg~original

- dang!

You guys can pull out some quality stuff for folks in a very short space o' time :thumbup: :)

The point of a standard spear blade is on the center line of the blade. The point of a Zulu spear is below the center line of the blade. As Jeff (Black Mamba) said, it's part way between a spear and a Wharncliffe blade.

It was actually a fairly common blade shape. Most of the Camillus camper knives had Zulu spear blades.

I sincerely wish that GEC would experiment with that style.

Does this qualify?
Buck 500 Duke and Micra by Pinnah, on Flickr

Nope.

IMG_3044.jpg

I think this qualifies, the photo is deceptive but the point droops down in a Wharncliffian manner, certainly not symetric centre as in the conventional Spear. It has a fearsome finger choppin good snap:eek:

Another suspect Zulu Euro Knife, this time from Germany with a locking mechanism (depress the minor blade to unlock the master)

IMG_0483.jpg

Last edited:
Frank, I would love to see GEC experiment with the Zulu pattern. Nice single blade and a two blade, Zulu with pen or pen wharncliff.

Back