Fiddleback Forge Bullfrog Bowie--New Pics Added

Hey guys,

I've had this knife for a few months now, and I have to say I'm incredibly impressed. It's my second Fiddleback (Sneaky Pete was my first), and just like the last one, once I saw it offered, I knew I had to have it, I think that's how Fiddlebacks work--the handle combos and overall blade profile just need to click visually... I can always talk myself into a new knife--but sometimes there is something undeniable... and I've got to have that one in particular. I watched other Bullfrog Bowies come and go, but never pulled the trigger--this time was different.

So here's the knife new:

xWxBEeQ.jpg

G1jW2ti.jpg

And it handled food prep for a Cub Scout camp cooking demo just fine:

Zq8F9ta.jpg

It carved wood just fine too--it actually flew right through bark, limbed small branches with snap cuts (not outright chops), and I did chop a few thinner branches with ease. The grind bites deep--it's a fairly tall blade for its size and the grind is pretty high.

wmC6uEY.jpg

The blade is about 4 inches, and it's a continuous curve--well suited for skinning, I would image--though I have not had the opportunity yet. It carves meat, veggies, and fruit without a problem.

As sweet as that clip point is, the ergos are the real star of the show. I was a little skeptical about the handle... until I held it. It's often said--it's as if it was made for my hand--well, it was certainly the case with the Bullfrog Bowie... check out the pics--there is not a bad way to hold this knife. The curves just melt into the natural contours of my hand. Never a hotspot to be found.

pohgm36.jpg

dnIdojf.jpg

BxgaVoW.jpg

2gn0pf3.jpg

CPTdjz8.jpg

9iZpWxL.jpg

XilmnPE.jpg

And the balance makes holding and cutting absolutely weightless--this is the kind of knife you can use all day and never really feel fatigue. It has a taped tang, and I believe that makes a huge difference.

j7wxSro.jpg

Lastly, Fiddleback does A2 incredibly well--the RC is 60-62, and despite being a little rough with it (with wood) there was no chipping or rolling... hell, there was nearly no dulling either. I would just touch up the edge on a ceramic stone a bit... but that's my obsessiveness, and not actually a matter of need.

While the tip is truly fine, the grind carries a bit of steel into it, so unless you are trying to bend or break it, it should hold up to tasks appropriate to its design.

I plan to put another lamb on my spit after the New Year, and hope to carve meat with the Bullfrog--I'll have to update this review then. For now, I can say it's a great knife that gets just about no talk... so I figured I'd add something about it here.

More pics and thoughts to come as the holiday season proceeds--I plan on using it the whole time as my primary blade.

Here are the specs on the knife from Fiddleback:
https://fiddlebackforge.com/products/fiddleback-forge-bullfrog-bowie-knife-model-info

And yeah, I batoned with it:
pv70aWn.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks ! Good review and great pics of a very interesting and appropriately named Bowie . :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks--it's really a great knife. Once I saw it, I knew I wanted one; it was the same way with my other Fiddleback, a Sneaky Pete.

Hands down one of the coolest knives I have seen in quite some time. Thanks for sharing it. If you don’t mind my asking, what did it set you back?

OK, so there was lots of rain a couple days ago, and today I found some downed branches and decided to give the Bullfrog a little work out.

Looked fairly stout...
QWsrK7B.jpg

Did a little cross batonning to make these notches all around, then gave the branch a good smack on a stone... we're through!
IbZbDCS.jpg

iPIA5lY.jpg

8RMAhU9.jpg

I was careful to not smack the tip too much on the Bullfrog--it handled all the rough work of batonning just fine... both cross, and splitting the branch.
VUkt1Lu.jpg

And it feathers like a champ... no problem whatsoever...
GCNNYl7.jpg

So, I decided to try carving a spoon, or some kind of camp cooking utensil... I didn't have high expectations, it was deadfall and I had found some grubs and cracks in the wood... but I did it anyway, just for fun and to see how the knife performed. It carves very well--that big belly just keeps slicing and carving; the wood was of a medium density, and only a little knotty. I will say this, the Bullfrog is a true bowie--the point of that clip will cut on "back-cuts" so one must be mindful of it as one carves. It didn't bite me, but it came close a couple times. Spear and drop points don't do this due to their profile, which is why they are the typical bushcraft/ woodworking profiles.

I got a little further, but then a crack/ fault in the wood, in the round part of the would-be spoon, gave-way and brought the experiment to an end. It was fun while it lasted!
Z4KbzSy.jpg

fUjRB50.jpg

After some light chopping, batonning, hacking, and lots of carving, the edge still cleanly sliced receipt paper. Sure, it was not as perfectly crisp an edge as it was when I began, but that is to be expected. I have to say--Andy's knives can boast excellent edge retention and stability, and his handles are just so damn comfortable... not once did I lack purchase on the blade, nor was the handle ever uncomfortable. No hotspots at all, no undue fatigue caused by the knife.
n3HtlLJ.jpg

Now its all cleaned up, touched up on a ceramic stone, and ready to roll into the next task. Thanks for looking--I hope this is useful.

Love this kind of review, thank you sir. Hope you're having a good holiday.

Love this kind of review, thank you sir. Hope you're having a good holiday.
Hey man! How's it going--hope you are having a great holiday season too! Thanks for the kind words--I just imagined all the things I look for in a review and decide to give it a shot. I have a few more knives in mind to go over in similar fashion--it also gives me an excuse to have some fun in the kitchen and yard.

Nice to read about some perspective on the handle - it's a curious, intriguing design and your 1st hand account, with pics, is helpful to me. The drop point renegade model has a similar handle, but with a spear point blade that I kind of prefer. Some day maybe, but Andy's Kephart is looking like my next Fiddleback...

Thanks for making the time to review and share.

Nice to read about some perspective on the handle - it's a curious, intriguing design and your 1st hand account, with pics, is helpful to me. The drop point renegade model has a similar handle, but with a spear point blade that I kind of prefer. Some day maybe, but Andy's Kephart is looking like my next Fiddleback...

Thanks for making the time to review and share.
You’re welcome—yes, it’s a handle that might not seem too comfortable, but very much is. I’ve seen that Renegade—looks like a winner, and the spear or drop point would be very versatile. Kephart is a great choice too... I’ve been eyeing one of those for a while.

You’re welcome—yes, it’s a handle that might not seem too comfortable, but very much is. I’ve seen that Renegade—looks like a winner, and the spear or drop point would be very versatile. Kephart is a great choice too... I’ve been eyeing one of those for a while.

....a mid tech Kephart is the blade that got me started down the Fiddleback road...

Great review. The handle shape is similar to the drop point maverick which is surprisingly super comfortable.

Back