Removed

Whites has a series of measurements and tracings you take and send in. Pretty simple, my boots fit perfect, been wearing them exclusively for 30 years. Currently have 5 pair in varying degrees of repair.

My Whites I made the tracing for never fit right. The boots I had them take measurements for at the factory are perfect! Hard to pick between my Nicks and the Whites but sometimes around here I need to let one pair or the other dry out before I wear them again.

I do a lot of ecological fieldwork in a remote region, and I'm looking for a new pair of all-terrain, all-season boots. I've been searching all over online, and there are a glut of options, so I thought I'd put it to this forum to see if my specific needs point to one or two companies/models in particular. (Also crossposted to another board frequented by members with similar interests, in case you have a sense of deja vu)
  • Working in forests with frequent changes in elevation and mixed terrain that ranges from ice to rock to dirt to marsh to grasses to fallen trees.
  • Usually at least 5 hours spent in the forest on these boots, up to 12 hours in a day for several days in a row.
  • The area is crisscrossed with rivers and streams that need crossing and marshes that need entering and often knee-deep snow in the winter; a waterproof boot at least 8" high (ideally 10" or more) is necessary.
  • The temperature usually ranges from about 0 F in the winter to 70 F in the summer, though lows can hit -20F.
    • That being said, these boots only need to be comfortable while under active use with a pair or two of woolen hiking socks, since I have a pair of heavily insulated Baffin boots for intensely cold temperatures while relatively sedentary, like on a snowmobile.
  • I'd really like soles that can handle wet ice when crossing frozen rivers and streams, and wet rocks when crossing those same rivers and streams in the warmer months.
  • A bonus would be removable liners so that wet liners can be switched out.
  • Budget-Less than 500 USD, and ideally less than 350 USD, though I understand that premium prices usually accompany products that last years.

The brands that come up a lot when I search are Irish Setter, Kenetrek, Danner, and Lowa. I used a pair of Danner Kinetic 8" boots for my first couple of seasons and they were great for just about everything through the first several months; however, they are deteriorating far faster than I would like and the Gore Tex liner has started leaking. Since the Danner recrafting service would cost more than a new pair, I thought I should explore other options on the market.

I work on nature preserves around the US. For fires I have a pair of Redwing Loggers, they're pretty nice for what they cost and very little breaking in. They aren't technically good for wildfires but I only do prescribed burns and they're okay for that. For my everyday boots I have Ariat groundbreakers. I'm super lazy first thing in the morning and I hate lacing up boots. Plus, if I'm switching between regular boots and rubbers/waders it's easy to slide them on and off.

I work on nature preserves around the US. For fires I have a pair of Redwing Loggers, they're pretty nice for what they cost and very little breaking in. They aren't technically good for wildfires but I only do prescribed burns and they're okay for that. For my everyday boots I have Ariat groundbreakers. I'm super lazy first thing in the morning and I hate lacing up boots. Plus, if I'm switching between regular boots and rubbers/waders it's easy to slide them on and off.
Thanks for the tip!

For what its worth, my White Smokejumpers and Nicks are FS legal on wild fires. Not that I ever worried about that sort of thing during my own smoke eater days. I wore West Coasts from the company store then. 12 seasons.

Back