SALE! Five 12" Behemoth Chopper prototypes

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm posting this early so you can read without being rushed. I will unlock this at 3:00 Eastern Time.

Please understand what this is before buying one. This is a non-production 12" chopper prototype. Being a prototype they're a little rough and lack some of the precision we're usually known for, they're largely hand ground.

This not a standard pattern at this time. If you're looking for a big heavy duty 3V chopper, that's what this is and there aren't a lot of them.

Because the 12" Chopper is not currently a standard pattern there is not much fixturing, so these were done the hard way, milled with a fine step over then partially hand ground. They're heat treated in a small micro batch. This is "field grade" with tool marks, hardness test dimples and heat treat scale, but I've tried to keep them pretty. I wailed on the test knives before it, but these knives are new and have not been beat on.

They're made of CPM 3V at HRC 60.5 with the Delta heat treat protocol that I believe is the finest heat treat for this material available anywhere. This is an exceptional knife with a combination of toughness and edge retention that will blow your mind.

The hand grip works as a heavy camp knife when held towards the front with good balance and dexterity. When held towards the back it fully fills the hand and offers control and reduced hand fatigue for extended hard chopping.

It's well balanced and reasonably light for a knife this size.

This is a BIG DAMN KNIFE. It's difficult to understand the size of this thing looking at the pictures.

The primary grind geometry, edge thickness and edge angle are tuned to be a good effective cutter so it bites hard and deep, but I left enough meat in there it's not fragile and will tolerate rough use.

It has a forward lanyard hole (as used in competition cuts, though this knife is not competition legal) and a hidden rear lanyard hole.

There are five knives available in this sale. There will probably be a few more at some point down the road and I may make this a standard pattern at some point in the future.

jzhLc2P.jpg

6DFEgHg.jpg

kCWvcdE.jpg

hYrVELk.jpg

BdZSusB.jpg

P3Wss0f.jpg

TxXSjPr.jpg

2Zn9Ydf.jpg

wYRtPR4.jpg

DnW19KC.jpg

~17 3/4" total length, ~12" blade, .250" thick, a hair under 2" at the widest point, 24.5 oz, balances about 2" into the blade. Edge is sharpened 20 DPS, ~.035"-.040" (<1 MM) directly behind the edge.

Scales for the Light Chopper are not compatible with this knife.

$525 in black or natural micarta
$550 in black unbuffed TeroTuf on a black micatra liner.
Shipping is $10
(due to limited quantities, please limit one per post)

There is no sheath included with this knife.

Our next sale will be here on the CPK forum in about four weeks. There will be NASK, the Heavy Duty Field Knife.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I will take (1) with Black TeroTuf scales, and an extra set of Black Buffed Micarta scales (if possible)

#webroketheinternetagain
2x#2, 4x#3, 2x#4, 2x#5 lol...

Last edited:
In for one w/ natural micarta

Interesting - for one brief second I had the first reply, but wound up as one of the several #5s in line after all of the #3s...

How many are for sale again?

I will take one in TeroTuff please.

Thought I had one there for a second... so close! I would take a LC if you had one of those just laying around ;-)

Last edited:
Damn...I was third until I refreshed too :(

Oh well, I got a good rush for a second lol

~Chip

Back