best large outdoor knife?

t.degazio

BANNED
over 8"blade, preferably under 150$ would be used for chopping and splitting, general hard use knife. opinions?

The two that come to mind immediately are the Ka Bar Becker BK9 and the
Ontario Ranger RD9.

Becker BK7 or BK9. The BK7 is more "camp chore" friendly given it's size.

- Mark

This has been asked 1k+ times. Not trying to be rude however read the following:

Lets see, whatever fits your hands right. Whatever you feel looks cool, whatever you feel is worth the money, whatever your hand size is compared to the size to the handle is. ETC ETC ETC ETC. UNLESS you state more, nobody can help you. Do you like serrations? Do you a thinner or thicker blade? Do you prefer stainless or carbon? Do you want a knife that includes a "good sheath" or will you make your own? Do you want a leather, kydex, molded etc etc etc sheath?

These are BASIC questions, until which you answer, nobody can help you out.

General opinion? There are COUNTLESS knives out there that fit the bill, all depending on the questions that I proposed.

daddÿ

Any over 8" blade under $150 knife will do. Any over 8" blade under $50 will do too, but maybe not as long, or might have to sharpen it more often. If you are at the knife nut level of asking this question, it might be a better move to consider the option of buying the least expensive knife that has a softer steel so you have to practice sharpening and learn proper technique in swinging the thing. The question I would suggest is "What are the best inexpensive training level hard use knives?"

absolutely without a doubt there are two that i trust my life to ontario RTAK 2 and the trail master from coldsteel

The Trailmaster is a nice knife. It will do everything you are asking of it, it splits like crazy, chops, and is a tough chunk of steel. The Ontario RTAK2 in 1095 also gets great reviews. If you wait a month (maybe less) the Rat Cutlery Junglas Machete will be out. It is going to be the same as the RTAK2 only higher quality with a great warranty. I highly recommend waiting for that to come out if you want a large blade. It will probably be around your price range. - these next three are all under in the $50-80 range: Kabar large heavy bowie, Becker, Ontario spec plus.

PS -If I could go back in time to when I asked this question I would have bought a $10 Tramontina machete and a $140 Maxpedition backpack, or maybe a nice pair of boots. -Something to think about.

i just got my RD9 yesterday, its a beast and great factory edge. DLT trading had them for $83

HPIM0496.jpg

definately got my eye on RAT junglas. lifetime guarentee you know its quality... they already make good knives. RTAK's tip broke pretty easily on the knifetests.com destruction test

Back