I EDC'ed the same folder for 6 months ....

Respect ! I’m glad you can afford the surgeries.

In my case, I couldn't. Pet insurance is the best 90 bucks (Cdn.) a month I have ever spent now that Shayla is facing surgeries that will cost over $10K + thousands of dollars of meds.

I don't even want to think about how many animals are euthanized because their owners couldn't afford the medical bills. :(

On behalf of your 4-legged friends - PLEASE, look into getting pet insurance to cover the expensive unexpected, if you don't already have it.

Last edited:
yes, very good story...

as a side note, this is the sort of thing that makes me stay away from any purebred - period. Mutts have a far far lower risk of every kind of medical issue.

Mine is a shiba / husky / collie mix -- which happens to look like a german sheperd :)

Sonnydaze

Gold Member
Happy for you and your dog. Some folks cannot afford that surgery. Here in Florida where so many of us are retired and living on Soc Sec, it would be awfully difficult to put out the $6000 or so for that dual surgery.

Happy for you and your dog. Some folks cannot afford that surgery. Here in Florida where so many of us are retired and living on Soc Sec, it would be awfully difficult to put out the $6000 or so for that dual surgery.

PET INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Covers most (all?) surgical procedures and medications.

ferider

Platinum Member

I understand, and in that way Vidar and us were lucky, too.

Besides insurance, I like D dirc ’s advice. Hindsight is always 20/20, and given the breeder’s information there was no way we could have predicted this. But going forward, our next dog will be a mutt.

Roland.

BD_01

Basic Member
Wow!
That‘s some hard core arthroplasty work right there!
I hope things go well for Vidar!

My pup has a silly gait now & again; I’m not sure if it’s pathologic or not. Her initial X-ray check was ok, but the vet said she’s still pretty young with lots of open growth plates & such…so we’ll need to check on it again later. We’ve got our fingers crossed.

ferider

Platinum Member
Thanks all for your warm comments.

Last week, after his completed hip replacement, our baby had one - hopefully - last surgery. Not fun at all to think about that one, especially as a guy, but it had to be done. Cone of shame will come off Thanksgiving, after which I’ll start carrying other folders.

i-Xfj9wVj-X4.jpg

JBC6650

Gold Member
Nice story and cool knife. You're a great pet parent for being willing and able to go to this level of care.

We have three dogs and they are like family, two of them are kind of dumb family but family none the less.

Bob Denman

That OTHER Guy...
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Thanks all for your warm comments.

Last week, after his completed hip replacement, our baby had one - hopefully - last surgery. Not fun at all to think about that one, especially as a guy, but it had to be done. Cone of shame will come off Thanksgiving, after which I’ll start carrying other folders.

i-Xfj9wVj-X4.jpg
Does he get HBO on that satellite dish? Personally speaking: I think you're spoiling him... 🤣

ferider

Platinum Member
Does he get HBO on that satellite dish? Personally speaking: I think you're spoiling him... 🤣
Probably true. In my book, if they listen to us, it’s OK to spoil them.

Then again, how you equate castration to spoiling remains a mystery to me :D

Bob Denman

That OTHER Guy...
Gold Member
Platinum Member
If you look at it that way: it hardly seems like a fair trade!