Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Here's the current state of what was my dad's old broken tip Dexter ? GI cooks knife which I was given to modify / repurpose as a teenager.
I didn't like the very horrible ( and unnecessary ) jimping job I had given it among other things, and decided it was time to redo it.
It had a leather lace wrap which I actually liked but with the things I did to it that would no longer be ideal. It now sports some hardwood scales and a cotton twine wrap which I coated in hot beeswax to solidify it and lock it in place. ( it's as good as epoxy for the purpose but feels more natural and can be peeled off if needed )
It's factory length would have been about 16", it was about 11½" as I had first modified it, and it is now 10½" with 6" being the blade.

Last edited:
Hickory n steel, I like what you have done with the knife. How does it cut? Thanks. John
It actually cuts pretty well, but I only use it for wood shaping tasks or general utility whenever I EDC it.
It scrapes wood down pretty well, and that's what I've used for most over the years due to how it's size fits into my needs.

37461932911_1d4ede31ae.jpg
[/url]20170930_160116

Finally completed a knife & sheath idea I'd been kicking around. I had Dan at Dogwood knives make the knife off a design I scribbled that is heavily influenced by the AG Russell Woodswalker. Blade is 2.5" of 154CM around 3/32" thick. Scales are Zebrawood with natural micarta pins. Sheath is from JRE leather and has a slot on the back for a P-38 can opener. No beltloop, instead 4 grommets that are big enough for paracord. Lash it or dangle it from your belt, tie it to a pack strap, neck knife, whatever.
Dogwood1 (Medium).jpg Dogwood2 (Medium).jpg Dogwood4 (Medium).jpg Sheath1.jpg Sheath2.jpg

HN, very nice lines on your knife. Good on you for the SS too.:thumbsup: I have not heard of Micarta pins... interesting touch.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a flat grind?

One of the few of the "brut de forge" knives I ever did. Back for a new sheath. 1084 steel forged on a granite headstone (they'd misspelled the name so I got it instead of the guy on the other side of the stone), instead of an anvil. Gave it its special rusticiticity.

v1KnlZi.jpg

HN, very nice lines on your knife. Good on you for the SS too.:thumbsup: I have not heard of Micarta pins... interesting touch.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a flat grind?

Bugdoc - my drawing I sent Dan was of a full flat grind, but he ended up going with a sabre grind. I'm not a knife maker so I told him he had free leeway to make my scribbling work. The 2 main reasons I went with Dogwood Knives is that I count Dan as a friend, and he is a proponent of thin knives. Regardless the sabre grind on this knife is well done, adds a bit of strength to a thin knife, and is still scalpel sharp. Dan does a lot of knives in 154CM and I have a lot of familiarity with it. Nothing fancy, but it works well for my needs.

One of the few of the "brut de forge" knives I ever did. Back for a new sheath. 1084 steel forged on a granite headstone (they'd misspelled the name so I got it instead of the guy on the other side of the stone), instead of an anvil. Gave it its special rusticiticity.

v1KnlZi.jpg

That's a beauty Dave. The pictures you post of your knives and lifestyle are always a real treat for me.

Beautiful knives. I love the stag and the firework is tastefully done. I also find it ironic they made knives that romanticize the American Buffalo as well as someone who was directly responsible for
View attachment 781089
View attachment 781087
155440 When you said " I also find it ironic they made knives that romanticize the American Buffalo as well as someone who was directly responsible for nearly driving them to extinction (G.A. Custer)." I believe you have the wrong impression. All of the Bowies pictured in my post were special factory orders. Schrade did not pick out the scenes that were etched on the Bowies by Aurum Etching, the customers that ordered them did, although I'm sure Schrade was involved. The one I find a little strange is the Monarch of the Plains scene on the reverse side of the NRA Bicentennial Bowie. I am a member and supporter of the NRA and certainly not some bleeding heart liberal crying over something done in the past...let me get that out of the way first. The title and the detail of the buffalo is outstanding but the picture of the buffalo skull with the NRA banner above it could be interpreted as the NRA bragging that American gun owners were responsible for nearly wiping out the buffalo. If someone has a different interpretation of the banner and the skull I'd be interested. By the way, Herman did a second NRA Bicentennial Bowie for me. This is the only Schrade Bowie that was etched on both sides and I want to see both sides when I display it. Some people of low character might call that "anal" but I prefer to think of it as being "thorough"....Herman calls it "enthusiastic"View attachment 771178

I too am a fan of the Schrade Aurum etched knives. I had Herman rehandle a Schrade blank bowie I had, he does great work. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you do not have them all. There are two variations of the Colt knife, you have the more common of the two and there is a Mountain Man Bowie, Monarch of the Plains (etched 1 side, not NRA knife) and there is an Elk Scene.

155440 When you said " I also find it ironic they made knives that romanticize the American Buffalo as well as someone who was directly responsible for nearly driving them to extinction (G.A. Custer)." I believe you have the wrong impression. All of the Bowies pictured in my post were special factory orders. Schrade did not pick out the scenes that were etched on the Bowies by Aurum Etching, the customers that ordered them did, although I'm sure Schrade was involved. The one I find a little strange is the Monarch of the Plains scene on the reverse side of the NRA Bicentennial Bowie. I am a member and supporter of the NRA and certainly not some bleeding heart liberal crying over something done in the past...let me get that out of the way first. The title and the detail of the buffalo is outstanding but the picture of the buffalo skull with the NRA banner above it could be interpreted as the NRA bragging that American gun owners were responsible for nearly wiping out the buffalo. If someone has a different interpretation of the banner and the skull I'd be interested. By the way, Herman did a second NRA Bicentennial Bowie for me. This is the only Schrade Bowie that was etched on both sides and I want to see both sides when I display it. Some people of low character might call that "anal" but I prefer to think of it as being "thorough"....Herman calls it "enthusiastic"View attachment 771178

If both sides are engraved, I agree that you should display both as it is an impressive work of art. It also can't be said enough how beautiful these knives are from top to bottom. I also agree, the detail of the buffalo is incredible.

Perhaps my gripe is an impossible one as complete context cannot possibly be included on a single engraving. I just wish there was more.

For example on the Custer knife: While I may not entirely agree with the depiction of 'Custer the tragic military war hero/Indian fighter' (I think the reality is more brutal /less romantic), I certainly think he is an iconic American who shouldn't be forgotten nor should he be remembered for one moment of his life. Perhaps what I really want is a series of knives, each one depicting a different scene. Maybe Gettysburg, Washita River, and Little Big Horn?

For what it's worth my favorite caliber is 45-70.

Kulrich,
I'm familiar with the pictures you posted. Timstools had those pics up on photobucket but since they cracked down on 3rd party hosting they're no longer available as far as I know. I've read quite a few of his posts concerning Aurum Etching and he mentions having one or two Bowies done by Aurum so I thought that perhaps a couple in that lineup were one of a kind. The Mountain Man is one I've never seen and sure would be interested in seeing more pics of it. I never should have said there were only 6..the one thing certain about Schrade is that nothing is certain. Your Bowie by Herman is outstanding. Here are a couple pic's of some more of Herman's work. Please excuse the folders.
The Bowie in the top right corner is one that he presented to someone in the 80's for having the best Schrade collection at a knife show. The top center is probably the last Bowie pattern that Schrade made. It was made in 2004 for A.G. Russell..is double hollow ground with Presentation Grade Desert Ironwood scales.
CABINET-r.jpg

The 2 pictures were take at different times and the same 171UH is in both pic's. All the fixed blades were done by Herman other than the bottom left
BOOKCASE-2   9-7-17r.jpg

Back