My dad didn't know I don't like flippers - Steel Will Intrigue

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
And he gave me a Steel Will Intrigue. I like it as far as flippers go. I like it a lot more now that I touched it up. Easily an Endura replacement at this size and weight.

IMG_9330.JPG
IMG_9332.JPG

Never seen a "flipper" like that, reminds me more of an Emerson wave. But there's no alternative method of opening it seems. Cool looking knife!

Yessir. The original knife is a flipper. I removed the flipper tab and ground in a notch for my thumb opening and it just happens to work perfectly as a "wave".

I also reground the edge to full length instead of the sharpening choil in the original.

I’m disappointed. I thought you were going to tell us you made your dad a nice knife, which he then sold for a lot of money.

I thought it was great out of the box. I liked its flipper.

I think you're quite right. Still, I have a hard time leaving anything alone if I can improve it.

Hey...it’s a gift from dad. Cherish it

BTW your mods kick ass

Thank you for the kind words. But the full story that didn't fit into my clickbaity thread title is that I actually bought this knife for him a couple years ago, and he re-gifted it back to me at Christmas. It is too small for his hand. But knives pass back and forth between him and me frequently enough that I was not offended at receiving it back. He also gave me back a couple knives I made when I was just starting out as a hobby, and the geometry on them made me blush and want to hide.

Public service announcement: Thumb opening as I displayed in the video above is not a sustainable means to open the knife. I was able to do it no problem the first few times, but subsequent openings were hard on my thumb and thumbnail, even to the point where I drew blood from under the the thumbnail. So if anyone is considering this mod, and wants to open it one handed via thumb flick, think twice. However, if you want "wave" opening, it works flawlessly as long as you make sure to angle it correctly (as with any "waved" knife, of course). I will still carry this, clipless in my right front pocket and treat it as a two hand opener, or if I ever need the W.O.O. factor, then reverse grip edge out "waved" deployment will be perfect.

Back