Native 5 LW lockbar

I have noticed there is some jimping near the end of the lockbar of my spy27 Native 5 LW that meets up with the jimping on the blade, but when the knife is open, is recessed just enough into the scales to be useless. Seems it would be a fine cost cutting measure to omit this part of the jimping in the manufacturing process since my thumb gets no traction off of it. Does anyone else notice this?

I think the jimping on the Native, is perfectly placed.
Not enough to always be there, but during harder use, the skin gets traction from it.

when the knife is open, is recessed just enough into the scales to be useless.

I just checked my REX45 Native 5, and it's exactly as you describe. The tall part of the jimping is cut a little lower than the flat part of the lockbar, and it sits lower than the handle. It doesn't really offer much functionality. Perhaps it's purpose is more aesthetic.

I think the jimping on the Native, is perfectly placed.
Not enough to always be there, but during harder use, the skin gets traction from it.
I suppose when I grip it really tight to see if I can get traction I can get some, so I see what you mean. I guess I better retract my earlier statement of saying useless. I would rarely be gripping my native that tight in normal use but should welcome the extra traction if I ever got in such a scenario I would have to grip that hard.

Hi Stillshot,

Thanx for sharing your thoughts.

We have played around with all sorts of methods and styles to make sure you have good control (purchase) over the edge. Things like "Jimping" Bi-Directional textures, etc. We've learned that some jimping in areas like the lock bar (useful for extra pressure), Finger choils and ramps on the blade behind the hole, etc. (stabilizes). Between the form in ergonomics, textures, materials and machining, all contribute to keeping a safe grip.

We also take all of your suggestions very seriously.

sal

Hi Stillshot,

Thanx for sharing your thoughts.

We have played around with all sorts of methods and styles to make sure you have good control (purchase) over the edge. Things like "Jimping" Bi-Directional textures, etc. We've learned that some jimping in areas like the lock bar (useful for extra pressure), Finger choils and ramps on the blade behind the hole, etc. (stabilizes). Between the form in ergonomics, textures, materials and machining, all contribute to keeping a safe grip.

We also take all of your suggestions very seriously.

sal
Thank you. Might I also add I am really nitpicking what I believe to be a perfect knife. I only own 2 Spyderco knives but between the spy27 native 5 and paramilitary 2 in s45vn I do own I must say they are well thought out, high quality, and highly ergonomic products which is what led me to purchase them in the first place.

I think the slight recess to the lock bar jimping is perfect. I don’t notice it in use unless I push harder and then it’s there right when I need it.

A little off topic but I was comparing the native 5 lockbar to my endura 4's lockbar and noticed the native 5 lockbar's lockup point goes all the way to the edge of the handle, which could create quite a nasty pinch point if a little skin of the index finger made its way into there while opening the knife. Has anyone ever got pinched like this?

Last edited:
Back