Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

This superb stag fighter was HER WEDDING GIFT to her young husband, Eric. He's a US Marine *triple amputee*, and the stunning buttcap has an engraved 'Purple Heart' medal. (Given to military soldiers when they are wounded in serving our Country.)

orig.jpg

If that wasn't already enough, check out the 'Stars and Stripes' sheath.

orig.jpg

He's jacked and working out at home here in the US like a madman, in the gym and more. He's unfazed. Booyah!

orig.jpeg

The maker is uber-talented Andreas Kalani from SoCal, the engraver is Joe Mason, and the soldier is @Erik__G (on IG). His wife presented this to him on their wedding day, Aug 4th 2017 and then Andreas asked to return it so he could send to me to be captured. Done.

This is extra special. I know you will agree. Look up Andreas to see more.

A rising star in the EDC urban folder market is John Sandy from Kansas City. I had the privilege to handle one of his choppers. It did it all RIGHT.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I've started working with Scott Gallagher JS: He's working it HARD. Here's his 'vest pocket' bowie. His blade was highly polished and that mysterious and elusive hamon needed showing. Terrific!
orig.jpg

Lastly, THINK of a 2x4" piece of wood 30" long. THAT'S the shape of the metal bar which began this ONE PIECE 27" integral wakazashi from Ron Best. He machined and cut and cut and shaped and ground and finished the ENTIRE piece from a block of steel. Those are lovely pearl insets with a mystic Topaz stone in the center bore.
orig.jpg

I know what you're thinking: "That guy's a *madman* with his skills." Yes, I agree. :thumbsup:

Thanks for viewing!

Thank you! On that note, I am prompted to add more. :thumbsup:

John Cohea never ceases to delight and surprise. LOOK at that spike on the 'D'guard. Close combat Plan 'B'. :eek:

orig.jpg

Tim Steingass gives us another chance to say "WOW!" All this and a tool to take it down. I had fun doing this shot. :)

orig.jpg

When Don Hanson III sets out to make a potent fighter with 'gnarly' mammoth, he means BUSINESS!

orig.jpg

Veteran maker and Military Veteran Paul Jarvis from MA, had made a similar knife which I photographed. It made it into the pages of a Blade Magazine after I submitted it.

A savvy collector came up to his table with his dog-eared copy and said "I want you to make me this knife!" Paul said: "I'll make one similar, but I won't make the same knife."

Well, here it is. Everyone was pleased!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

There is a shop up here in the Northeast in Wolcott Ct, where 4-5 of the most talented guys work together to produce INCREDIBLE forged knives and swords.

The shop is Dragon's Breath Forge, and once every few months Matt Parkinson gathers up the latest works and drives to my studio, where we work together getting these images done. (He's NOW an apprentice! LOL!) All of these guys have WON on Forged in Fire.

Jamie Lundell created this Viking sword. It's 36" of tribute.

orig.jpg

He also crafted this delightful 3.5" friction folder. Forged and textured bronze and more.

orig.jpg

Peter Burt decided to work his skills on a Chinese-styled 'Jian' sword and scabbard.

orig.jpg

And then to the West his version of a Spanish 'Cinqueda' has the most ANGRY and engaging damascus I've witnessed in a while. Stand VERY clear as this wants to be swung. Hard.

orig.jpg

Matt Parkinson, JS sure knows his way to a knife lover's heart. LOOK at this integral cutlery set.

orig.jpg

Here's the knife and fork set alone....

orig.jpg

And this UNBELIEVABLY thin chefs' knife. They all include a touch of carving on the handles.

Matt is considering stopping everything for a couple of months to enter the Mastersmith arena. I'd say he's got what it takes. Let's hope!
orig.jpg

Every two years the most prestigious Custom Knife Show in the US is held in San Diego:

The Art Knife Invitational.

I have often been involved in the photography for the Show's catalog. It's been hard for me NOT to show some of these pieces I have shot from as far back as last June. But.... the show is over and now I CAN! (These pieces were sold and I have NO idea where they are now. Just admire.)

Rick Dunkerley brought HIS 'A' game:
orig.jpg

Twice!
orig.jpg

Ron Appleton dazzles us. Note the lock and how it depresses a millimeter to unlock.
orig.jpg

Whoa....!
orig.jpg

Ken Steigerwalt with his 'Bauhaus' geometric shapes. Mind = BLOWN!
orig.jpg

This folder from Wolfgang Loerchner coveted the cover of the highly-desired and top-quality catalog. It's the first time in MANY years he has made a folder with engraving (David Riccardo).
orig.jpg

I only wish more work came my way to show you and to record for posterity.

stunning photos, Coop- thanks for sharing em!

Wonderful photos COOP - envious of your shadows :D

Thanks Tim! They are REAL, not concocted. ;) They add depth and dimension. :thumbsup:

Two influential makers these days are BOTH Michael Zieba and Jason Knight. Michael has worked in Brooklyn for years and Jason has come on board to work on his infectious and relentless designing. Here's one that has both of their signature looks!

orig.jpg

Longtime veteran maker D' Alton Holder draws on me when he has something substantial. In this case it was working with Bruce Shaw and Stan Hawkins

orig.jpg

NEW California maker Andreas Kalani shows his versatility and energy with this combo of Chef's knives.

orig.jpg

Another California standout is Darriel Caston. (D-Rocket Design) He simply NEVER lets a day go by where he isn't designing something out of the ordinary. I've known him since 2007, and BOY has he taken off on Instagram! This is actually five knives with no composite images.

orig.jpg

Variations on this style.

orig.jpg

Variants of this version. I shipped all BUT the ribbed folder back to him. That one speaks and stays with me. :)

orig.jpg

I had not heard of Evgeny Khokhlov (from Kiev Russia) until he contacted me through MY Instagram. He had a client in the US and would I shoot this knife and forward to him? Sure thing!

orig.jpg

I handle TONS of quality knives. Let me tell you, I was IMPRESSED. Pay attention to him if he comes on the radar.

orig.jpg

I have worked with Brett Schaller often in the past. He sent me a sweet grainy micarta hunter to capture. This one has white and stainless liners. I deliberately shadowed it to show how SWEET it looks!

orig.jpg

David Mirabile goodness. You probably saw this on Joe Paranee's thread. I can't get enough of it. Neither can you.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

John Cohea's work makes us all smile and wonder. His sheaths are SO dominant you lose the knife in all that finery. Unless you show it off alone.... ;)

orig.jpg

CJ Cai was rightfully proud of this folder he'd done with Tom Overeynder. It's a bit risque, and I apologize that this isn't family friendly. Still it is an artist's vision.

orig.jpg

Kevin Casey is THE standard-bearer on feather damascus steel. His work with noted Russian artist Konstantin Pushkarev elevates his work times three!

orig.jpg

We met James 'Jay' Hoffman at this year's Blade Show. He's a US military veteran with disabled status, and he limped over to our table with a boatload of BIG knives. After we finished all of them to his satisfaction he just shipped me this one. It has a full leather rig for multiple hanging opportunities, and he makes them STURDY and useful. Whataguy!
orig.jpg

Rarely does a new maker have a signature look so early. Don Nguyen (pronounced 'Win') has a combination of facets and curves and hamons that leave me scratching my head to show well. (I think we got it!)

orig.jpg

Eli Jensen is still a grad student at Northern Arizona University and shows his dedication to upper level learning right here.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Gilbert McCann from Texas knows what today's buyer wants: Chef's knives! He's a quick learner and certainly has a good feel for ergonomics.

orig.jpg

This 'otherworldly' meteorite folder by renowned maker Tony Karlsson from Sweden boasts probably the LARGEST single slab of meteorite I've ever shot, and has that alluring Rietveld 'dragon skin' steel for the blade.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

His visions and his work is sought after and always compelling. Ron Best created this spear point folder with his nifty top tab auto release and a damasteel blade. I posted this on IG and he told me he could have sold it three times. (See that!? The system WORKS!)

orig.jpg

One of the most charming people I've worked with is Debbie Boye from David Boye Knives. Although they live in arid Arizona, he's the foremost leader in boating knives: His cobalt dendritic steel is impervious to corrosion and salt. That rotating marlin spike helps untangle a clenched knot.

orig.jpg

They needed product shots on white for their website. I can do that, too!

orig.jpg

They also have an attractive chef's knife as well. Add in a bit of AZ turquoise to make it local. :)
orig.jpg

I had one of THE busiest last three months: Studio work, the NYCKS and another project:

I was asked to work on the 2018 Buyer's Guide for Knives Illustrated. (The issue will ship in December)

We took in over 180 knives and shot each one of them on white. Very clear was needed.

All of them required info: Maker, model number, model name, OAL length, blade length, blade width, blade steel, weight, handle material, website, MSRP and more. Susan worked with me as hard with specs and measures and followups. WHEW!

I am VERY impressed at what it takes to put out a magazine issue as I was included in hundreds of weekly updates on all things related. This project consumed me for weeks.

I hope you might get a copy and look closer at the work we did. I am certain you will see a difference from previous years. I also was able to get in a bunch of category pages with my style and colors. Here's an example of my BARE leader pages to the categories. (The have text and other headlines in the actual copy.)

orig.jpg

Categories:
  • Urban
  • Hunting
  • Survival
  • Tactical
  • Bushcraft
  • General
  • Multitool
  • Sharpening
  • Tomahawks
Open thanks to Doug Jeffreys, Amelia Earl, Eric Knagg, Margaret Kavanaugh, and Joshua Swanagan who guided me through this process. They are all professional and a pleasure to work with.

Fantastic as always. That handle on Don Nguyen's knife is something else. The browns and the golds pop right out.

Let's play 'catch up' and show you how COOL :cool: the work is which came my way in late 2017... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kevin Cashen, ABS Mastersmith. That's all that needs saying.
orig.jpg

David Kulis from Chicago is making a BOLD stand!
orig.jpg

Love that bronze!
orig.jpg

Speaking of bronze; that's a familiar ingredient for crowd fave Anders Hogstrom.
orig.jpg

Young maker Marko Zagar sent me this dagger from Slovenia. (It's still here at my studio as he's marketing it. Send him a holler for more info: saturn.knives AT gmail DOT com)
orig.jpg

The UNMISTAKABLE look of Ron Best. Make them. Sell them. Repeat. Good for HIM!
orig.jpg

Jordan Lamothe from upstate NY is making waves with his forge. (He's a past Forged in Fire CHAMP!)
orig.jpg

Moar.....

We've all admired this one from Samuel Lurquin, MS. It's crazy viscious!
orig.jpg

...yet the warm leather from Paul Long muzzles it nicely.
orig.jpg

HEY! didn't Marcus Lin make 'Loveless' knives in So. California? Yes. Now he's moved to Malaga Spain and with a modest amount of equipment has retooled his work. Expect more from him. (These choppers were MASSIVE!)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Dan Dugdale from MA is a lone wolf designer of rare, articulate, and often mechanical knives. Hello! This allows you to grip the pivot and swivel the HANDLE to open!
orig.jpg

AKI member Steve Hoel makes perfectly suitable traditional lockbacks. Elder engraver Bryan Bridges from Phoenix AZ did the exemplary goddess visions. SO cool!
orig.jpg

When you go to the Solvang Knife Show in CA in late April 2018, you will get a chance to see this in person. Dennis Friedly and Ray Cover Jr. really hit it off!
orig.jpg

He'll be surrounded by other makers of upward stature. Remarkable Mamoru Shigeno with a natural buffalo handled fighter.

(Note: Susan and I--We'll BE there!)
orig.jpg

Anton Shostak sent me these three outstanding knives from Ukraine. I was VERY impressed! (His work is represented in the US by his friend in Brooklyn @ Big City Custom Knives)
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Impressed but NOT surprised: ABS Mastersmith Joe Szilaski with a peace pipe tomahawk.
orig.jpg

Mississippi standout maker John Cohea is a favorite 'home boy' around here. Let's establish why:
orig.jpg

Matt Venier from MA used to lacquer custom motorcycles. He extends his visions here!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

It doesn't end! This is 7'2" of forged spear! (Head split and made out of ONE piece of metal)
orig.jpg

Sent to me first from Utah by Curt Erickson and Julie Warenski before it headed overseas to a noted collector.
orig.jpg

Elegance is great. However, when you have WORK to do, we count on dirty hands. Witness this set of hunting/camp knives by Tim Steingass.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Kevin Klein. This is so engaging and complex I could barely comprehend it....
orig.jpg

... and then he told me this was only ONE of FOUR. A lifetime award! WOW!
orig.jpg

That's it for now. I'll come back in a few days for the January 2018 edition of 'Who's on First!'

Back