Surface grinder belt conversion question

killthelights

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have an old Delta Toolmaker i want to convert to run belts. Would this be a good option for the grinding wheel?

Screenshot (3).png

Busto

The Conversions I've seen use a 2" wide wheel to take advantage of 2" wide belts most use on belt grinders. 1.25" wide wheel means you will have to split belts.

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
He can order belts in 1" and 1.25" to run on that wheel. There is considerable advantage to running a narrower belt or wheel on a surface grinder. I don't recall ever seeing a 2" surface grinder wheel. Most are less than 1"
However, I agree that most knifemaker folks use 2" so they can buy the same size belt as their grinders use..

Busto

He can order belts in 1" and 1.25" to run on that wheel. There is considerable advantage to running a narrower belt or wheel on a surface grinder. I don't recall ever seeing a 2" surface grinder wheel. Most are less than 1"
However, I agree that most knifemaker folks use 2" so they can buy the same size belt as their grinders use..
The conversions I've seen have been 2". I still run stones on the shop surface grinder, but we're doing more precision machining work than just knives.

killthelights

Right. I plan on just splitting 2" belts
The conversions I've seen have been 2". I still run stones on the shop surface grinder, but we're doing more precision machining work than just knives.
I don't need that much precision, the ease and convenience of belts outway stones. That aside is this a wheel that would work well for that purpose? Or should I get a scalloped wheel from Contact Rubber Corp?

Drew Riley

Riley Knife and Tool
Will your wheel hub fit a 1.25" thick wheel? You may have to thin down the center on a lathe in order to get it to fit. I believe their wheels are only rated up to 800 RPM as well. Their website instructs you to call if you have higher RPM requirements.

When I did my conversion years ago, I had a wheel made by CRC with a 1/2" web. It was also serrated, though I wonder if I wouldn't get a slightly better finish with a smooth.

killthelights

Will your wheel hub fit a 1.25" thick wheel? You may have to thin down the center on a lathe in order to get it to fit. I believe their wheels are only rated up to 800 RPM as well. Their website instructs you to call if you have higher RPM requirements.

When I did my conversion years ago, I had a wheel made by CRC with a 1/2" web. It was also serrated, though I wonder if I wouldn't get a slightly better fin
Yeah the hub will support it no problem but i did forget about the RPM issue. Better go with CRC and the serrated custom wheel. Thanks!

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
For this application, ideally the wheel is wider than the belt. A solid metal wheel works.

killthelights

For this application, ideally the wheel is wider than the belt. A solid metal wheel works.
Yes sir. I plan on running 1" belts so I ordered a 1 1/4" wheel that's 95a duro. For what I'm using it for it should be precise enough. Don't know why I didn't think of using a metal wheel. Probably would have been cheaper, though.