Review The all new REK Ember (mildly graphic content -hunting)

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello folks, Sharp & Fiery here with a disclaimer. As some of you know, Josh from REK and I are good friends, however, this review will NOT be bias, as I have always been honest with Josh, and Im sure he will attest to that. Lol. :D

Now on to the good stuff!

The all new REK Ember. REK Knives REK Knives
C103A7DA-8E51-4334-A8AF-8D5BCAAD3896.jpeg

First lets talk about size. This is a small fixed blade. Small and thin. This currently carries in the “watch pocket” of my jeans as it is a super comfortable way to carry. Sometimes I think it has fallen out...thats how unnoticeable it is. Carries just superbly.
71E85BF9-1A1E-4B88-8621-1CF2BD5C6195.jpeg

The M390 blade measures approx. 2.5” and even on the smaller side, cuts like a champ! If you have ever had a knife that was sharpened by REK, you will know that this edge is thin and as sharp as a scalpel. I personally prefer a very keen edge as it helps in cutting control. Very, very well done. I just can’t say enough about Josh’s razor sharp edges. The tip comes to an acute point, and is also super sharp. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick out a sliver with it. For its 2.5” length, it has the perfect mixture of belly and straight edge.

I was lucky enough to score coconut micarta scales, my favorite scale material. The micarta is sculpted just perfectly for grip, and although it looks quite deep in the photos, it is not, and adds a perfect amount of grip without compromising comfort. The scales are also contoured which is a big plus in my opinion. They are thin, but not to thin, and just a perfect balance. I can get 4 fingers on this handle and would only assume that a large/xl hand would be a three finger grip. I was a little worried about the finger dip in the handle as I generally do not prefer one, however, this one is perfectly done, and I havent even noticed that it is there. It just works. The handle length on the Ember measures approx. 3 5/8”. Overall length is a touch over 6 inches.

One thing I love about the Ember is its removable scales...perfect for cleaning, especially after any dirty tasks. I know this was created for EDC carry and as a small game cleaning knife. It will perform perfectly for both these tasks. I would personally also suggest it as a small SD neck knife. It is ridiculously comfortable in reverse grip, and super light and thin under a shirt.

I have owned a CRK Professional Soldier, a Spartan Enyo, a Esee Izula 2 and many more smallish neck knives, and I would say that the Ember would be my choice for SD carry.

On to the sheath. It is a kydex sheath and the Ember is well mated to the sheath. My particular knife is a touch on the loose side for my liking in the sheath, but stays put. I particularly like the little ramp Josh added for your thumb to pop the sheath from the knife. This ramp keeps the sheath in my “watch pocket” quite well, and I can draw and re-sheath without worries. The kydex sheath has a drain hole, and many options for attachments for carry.
CC90E257-4057-42FF-A815-0F5726AE8C06.jpeg

Overall, this knife is a winner.

If you are looking for a comfortable, thin, light and all around capable EDC fixed blade, the Ember is for you. What a beauty. For what it’s worth, I have a second in Cruwear on order. That is how confident I am in this design.

*Actual real world use in post below*

Lets talk about real world use...not testing...use. The Ember is a small fixed blade which I will treat as such and not use it for what I put my large fixed blades through. :)

I received my Ember two days ago, and have carried and used it since then...

First was a few tests in the shop. I went down to start a rehandle project on a big ol chopper and used the Ember to cut cardboard to protect the edge. Well, lets be honest here...the cardboard was to protect me!! Haha.
60DB9E0C-7C08-4079-BB29-2C33ADB834D6.jpeg

Next was the duty of cutting the leather ties off of my axe throat protectors...clean cuts with no effort at all...
BC52AC66-E7B2-4357-A7A0-19086EAE201B.jpeg

Next was seeing how it would do in the kitchen...sliced tomatoes with ease.
03822B23-A3D4-48AD-BA72-3E02927B385E.jpeg

A few envelopes were also opened and the Ember is so sharp that care needs to be taken so I didnt cut my finger as it slices with ease.

Day 2 was today...decided to go for a hike to one of our favorite spots for some fishing...
E0262D54-3562-4128-8E30-D55A38055939.jpeg
I got lucky on the first cast of the season! Either the Ember is huge!! Or the fish is small. Lol. Still a fun little fight. :)
(Also, my wife outfished me today. 3 to 1. :D)
293FB148-5AE9-47CE-97E1-93B6A4D690EE.jpeg

Next was a snack...the Ember fared ok cutting an apple...the blade was sharp and didnt catch, but the thickness of the blade didnt let it slide as effortlessly as a kitchen paring knife. However, as this is an EDC, I expected nothing less.
E3BA0D7C-1541-4D78-AF14-781F61452F58.jpeg

Now...for all of you who would like a chuckle...I decided for a few more casts in the rapids, and got my favorite lure stuck!! Then trying to free it snapped the line!! I knew it had to be between the rocks...this is what it looks like when a guy does not want to loose his favorite lure...lol...
57CE185B-2D3D-4A6A-ACEA-F0D5349FDA55.jpeg
thats right, used my sunglasses to see in the water and I found it!!! It was wedged, but I retrieved it! Now time to retie!
8273806B-4BB7-4139-97CC-0EEE1BCD3E4B.jpeg
4287D653-D446-430C-AA3B-1F9F1AC9B34F.jpeg
Used the Ember to trim the loose end, and even after the envelopes, cardboard, tomatoes and apples, it still cut effortlessly and clean.

So far I am extremely please with the Ember for my daily needs. Money well spent.

Until next time...keep ‘em sharp!
3B470081-3468-4D60-B78C-4E56C7EC1230.jpeg

Last edited:
I hate you sharp! Now I need a knife that I didn’t know existed earlier today!!! Josh does great work. He has done a few knives for me in the past. I can only imagine how amazing his own custom pieces are!!

I hate you sharp! Now I need a knife that I didn’t know existed earlier today!!! Josh does great work. He has done a few knives for me in the past. I can only imagine how amazing his own custom pieces are!!

Orrrrr...do ya love me? ;) You’re welcome!
Get on the mailing list, and the pre-order if it’s not sold out yet. :)

Well Folks, I’m back with some adventures with the Ember. My wife and I are woods-type people and so took off for a few days to set up camp at one of our beautiful Provincial Parks. We like to use them as our “base camp.”
One of my favorite places to be, is around water, and especially waterfalls. We always search out waterfalls, rapids and good fishing. “River walking is a cherished pasttime for us both.” Anywho...here are some photos.
30824853-9A9C-4F51-87F2-9949EF36E8B2.jpeg
DC4898FC-6C71-4484-8F6C-CBC5136DC129.jpeg 9E211866-5679-42FD-A576-5DD0A4564C1C.jpeg ECBF0679-E469-48B2-AC37-0206883D1C0B.jpeg C79B8237-42CA-4364-B920-4A2B072BA8E6.jpeg E114FEDB-D33C-41D9-8201-822D25235376.jpeg 8A4720DE-7C51-4A7D-B73E-7A59E708985E.jpeg 7C62CD6C-9FA3-41D9-9D53-9BEF7FD4C38D.jpeg 1171D0F4-C227-4E5C-BF49-ACE143F189EE.jpeg

I must also add...the Ember in the “kitchen” is a valuable tool in the “vild.”
Gotta get the fryin’ pan all buttered up!
B76C4E8E-A3EE-4247-A4E6-2BDCB0F91375.jpeg
Cause their ain’t nothing better than grilled cheese campfire ham sandwiches and pea soup!
79DBB645-7D2F-46F7-8DAE-16F247B8D72C.jpeg
It rained off and on for a couple days which made the nights a lot cooler than they should have been in the beginning of August...
Had to make some camp style blueberry tea...
C45F236F-9A15-44CD-A385-EB2D2A459DDF.jpeg
All in all, a great trip with a wonderful wife, and the ever capable Ember.
Don’t let this blade pass you by...paired with a larger knife, its a winning combination!

Another update. Im sorry I don’t have photos to back up these claims, but I forget when Im working to snap a few. :/

So far the Ember has cut a ton of stuff. Garden hoses today...pex pipe, tape, the usual. Also been used a bit for scraping. The blade has a touch of wear on it that can only be seen in the right light at the right angle. Overly happy with the blasted finish. :)

A photo for you, I have been carrying inverted on my belt since after the first week of having it in my coin pocket of my jeans. Works well for me in this config.

F58C6B4A-8A4B-4BE4-9DBB-A185A44139CC.jpeg

Still carrying the Ember inverted on my belt. I can sit with no issues, which is awesome.

Had a bonfire with some friends last night, and needed some “marshmellow sticks.” Their young sons and I went looking for the perfect “green” maple to get some “sticks.” We found a couple good ones, and the Ember was used for removing the branch, taking all the smaller shoots off the branch and whittling a point. Worked superbly. I still have yet to sharpen or strop the M390.

There is a little wear happening on the blasted finish now. :) “Memory marks” I like ‘em. But seriously...the marks arent bad at all. Here are some shots which I tried to capture the wear.

63214C61-B0CF-4B95-9225-8523600A12EF.jpeg
56869468-6CDC-4BD9-A586-28A11EA74003.jpeg

ETA: In the last 4 weeks, this particular Ember has seen a lot of “freshwater time,” and lots of it has been at work, so it gets shoved back in the sheath wet. As you can see, I am super happy with the corrosion resistance of the M390. Nothing as of yet. Another month and I will remove the scales to see whats under them. :)

Fullflat Fullflat

What are you using yours for these days?
Just about everything brother :) The Ember has quickly become my go-to EDC. So much so, that I had to put it away for a week just to let my folders see some action. It cuts incredibly well, feels superb & intuitive in my hand, and carries so easily that I don’t even notice it’s there, until I need it. Mine still gets pocket carried more than half the time it’s with me. It’s easily accessible, comfortable in all positions, and it doesn’t interfere at all with the sidearm that occasionally rides on my hip. It also does very well IWB, in almost any position, but I wouldn’t recommend appendix carry for anyone who’ll be sitting down frequently. Mine is getting used mostly for mundane edc tasks.. opening cases of water bottles & packages, freeing the kids’ new toys from that infernal packaging/tie wrap menagerie they use nowadays, cutting fishing line & paracord, and whittling a few sticks. Like you, I haven’t sharpened or stropped the edge yet, and it’s still shaving sharp. Mine doesn’t get put away wet as often as yours (insert joke), but I’m in a humid, coastal, swampy area, where the heat index has been in the triple digits every day for the last few weeks. Most of my workday is spent outside, and despite almost constant exposure to the steamy air and my stankin sweat, my Ember also shows no notable corrosion or staining. Absolutely love everything about this knife.

Back