1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Congratulations winners! The Week 2 Giveaway has ended over on our YouTube Channel and here are the winners:
    BladeForums Logo Sticker: Impulse600
    BladeForums Velcro Patch: garythegoat
    BladeForums Logo Tshirt: crocgator106
    BladeForums paid subscription upgrade: billygoat78

Darrel Ralph Dominator 35: norcaldude Winners will be contacted by PM / email, so look for my message!

The Ending of anEpic....

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    So if it can be made from leather, we've made it. We've made about everything there is to make outside of a saddle or boots, (I've made moccasins in the past). Without question these wooly chinks from bear hide that we made for our friend Cara are simply the single most complicated and involved project we've ever done to date.

[​IMG]

If you haven't read the thread on making these take a few minutes and give er a look see:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ctorial-history-of-a-complex-project.1357634/

I mention in that thread that Cara wasn't sure what she wanted to do with the fringe. We might trim it a little so she's not stepping on them as she walks or she was thinking about twisting the fringe. I also mentioned that I would show Cara how to do the twisting as I wasn't gonna do that. Reason...it was gonna take time. Lots and lots of time. It did.

So Cara come over with her woolies one day and said lets twist the fringe. Here's how she did it.

Here they are ready to go. The legs are separated by unlacing one side of the belt. Here's one side laid out on my cutting table. Dang thats a lot of fringe.

[​IMG]

The carved tattoo dragonfly on the yoke of each leg, my wife Nichole, did the carving on these:

[​IMG]

These woolies are double fringed meaning that there is a pink and turquoise fringe piece on top of each other. When making them, they were cut from the solid at the same time so each fringe piece is the same, as they were cut together. So Cara is wetting each individual piece of fringe with a sponge. Turquoise on top and pink on the bottom.

[​IMG]

She gets them pretty wet and then twists them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After each set of fringe is twisted she pulls it straight and pushes a push pin through both pieces of leather and pins it to the cardboard.

[​IMG]

This takes time and is tough on the ole fingers. She said the hardest part was pushing the pin through the leather. She would put the pin upside down and push the leather onto the pin and then stake it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just takes time. How much time? She worked steadily five and half hours on each leg! Literally eleven hours of twisting and pinning to get to here, crazy:

[​IMG]

I wasn't cutting anything for a day or so, so didn't need the cutting table. We let em dry for 24 hours.

[​IMG]

Ain't it just like life? Takes ya eleven hours to do something and it takes ya eleven minutes to undo it. Ok maybe fifteen and Tyler, my good friend and Cara's husband was helping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've seen lots of twisted fringe leggings before but never a double fringed set. I was curious as to whether the fringes would stay twisted together. They did. Whadya think, somebody happy with the results?

[​IMG]

I laced the legs back together onto the belt and Cara puts them on. Nichole had just come out into the shop to call us in for dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll mirror the legs (lay them hair side to hair side) and even up the fringe by trimming and they are done. Nice day today. If Cara gets home (she and Tyler live across the road), in time from work, we'll get her horseback and get some pics in the saddle. Whadya think? Now ya know why I wasn't gonna twist those fringe. Wow! Eleven hours.

[​IMG]

2. ANovinc

ANovinc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Quite interesting that they stay twisted together, after the drying. I would have never guessed they'd do that. I, for one, would have never had the patience to do all of that work! Turned out nice.

3. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
    Fantastic!

Horsewright likes this.
  4. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Cool pictures. I've worked leather, but never done fringe, or tried twisting it.

Horsewright likes this.
  5. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    yeah Amy I was kinda surprised they did too. Be interesting to see what happens with some life on em and riding in the wind.

Thanks guys!

meako likes this.
  6. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Too cool!

Horsewright likes this.
  7. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    I trust these are "show" chaps? Not for working cattle? Sure are dressy. Great Job!!

Horsewright likes this.
  8. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Beautiful, very unique!

Horsewright likes this.
  9. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks guys!

Ken just for riding when its cold. They really keep ya warm.

10. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Dave those are very beautiful and the dragonfly is quite fine too. Very interesting to see another facet of your extraordinary work.

11. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Makes my arthritis hurt just looking at that much hand work! Very nice!--KV

12. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thank you sir!

I understand completely! I too have that affliction. Thanks.

13. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    I guess I tend to think of the riding we do around north Alabama with all the briars and brush snagging all the fringes and fur.

I showed my wife the dragonfly and she was REALLY impressed - as am I. Dave, ya'll do such great work, leather and knives.

Keep posting - we love it.

14. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Gotcha. Yeah different leggings for different locales. Our ranch use to be more brushy than it is now. The drought killed off a lot of the brush. Looks more like this now:

[​IMG]

Use to be so darn brushy ya couldn't get between the trees. Funny thing to say but the drought made our ranch a better ranch.

15. skillgannon

skillgannon

Apr 27, 2009
    Man this things are so nice if I had a pair I think I would be afraid to wear them with pants.....did I just say that out loud :confused:

The Zieg and Horsewright like this.
  16. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011

Thanbks......I think.

17. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    You’ll never get that image out of your head now!

Zieg

18. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Folsom Street Fair?

Zieg

19. PNW Leather

PNW Leather Leather Craftsman Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    oh my, Thats cool as can be. Very nice work. I cant imagine starting on that and the thinking involved of what happens first.

Horsewright likes this.
  20. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks Makael!