Top 8 Reasons to Heat Treat Your Own Knives

Heat treatment is a big investment in time equipment.
Knife making is a total money pit so it's understandable to want to keep the cost down with so many consumables needed just to make a humble cutting implement.

I am not making argument for "blowtorch" heat treatment but for investing into the serious equipment to heat treatment in house which I feel is very important.

If I had to narrow it down there are 4 big reasons to invest into a solid heat treatment furnace with good tempature control and range, a Rockwell tester, surface grinder and dewar.

4. "Make it yours"

"Do you do your own Heat Treatment?"
That's a question I was asked recently from a customer and it really set the tone as being a professional at what you do and building value. While heat treatment is only one component of the many things that make a excellent knife it's one of things that "makes the maker" and the knife truly yours; creates the "soul" of the blade as many have said before.

3. Freedom

A maker is no longer at the mercy of someone else's schedule and the post service to get their blades done. They no longer have to rely on the experience or lack there of with heat treatment service providers, that freedom is hard to put into words.

2. Ensure the highest level of performance
When knives are sent off to Heat treatment services they only ask what the steel is and desired HRC the problem is that there are hundreds of ways on getting the same HRC but that doesn't show what the microstructure is.

Often time there is extreme tunnel vision on a specific HRC having certain properties yet zero discussion on carbon in solution, retained austenite, etc which are HUGE factors to the mechanical properties of the steel.

So, the prior processing to austenitizing, austenitizing time and temp and what's done after quench are huge factors that shouldn't be left to the convenience of a heat treatment service that's also just chasing what the rockwell tester says sometimes without regard to the other factors.

1. Actually build an understanding of how things work and be able to think critically.

It's difficult to understand what is pertinent information and what is an extraneous detail.
Doing something is what separates what's relevant and what's not as significant.
Steel is fascinating and mysterious and heat treating allows you a window into the secret world of what makes the magic happen.

Hope that helps folks that are on the fence about either doing their own Heat treatment and or sending off. I know I was on the fence about it a while back and it was the best decision I ever made.

4 more reasons to do you're own HT.

8. Know whats being done.
Assume Nothing,
Unless you've seen it being done there is no guarantee it's being done. The only thing you receive when getting knives back from HT is the HRC.
There is no evaluation of Charpy values, Carbon in solution, austenitizing temp and time adjusting and tuning, just what ever is used to get the desired HRC.

Some operations are also very casual about HRC testing and don't use best practices for ruling out hardness values and can be rather cavalier. However, It's important to not just have experience but to also stay fresh up on the ASTM and ISO standards and keeping equipment up to date, in good condition and clean while most importantly using best practices.

7. Fine tuning performance

This is one of my favorite reasons, when one starts to build enough of their own HT data to see what changes in HT will have the desired effect performance, not just HRC. From building a chopper to a fine edged razor, it's nice to be able to mold the given steel to the desired preference and use.

6. Exotic steel fever

If you want to play with exotic steels they need to be characterized for best performance versus shooting from the hip. Most heat treatment operations only see about 10 different steels with a majority of them being AEB-L, so they don't have the data to run exotic alloys not is it cost effective for them to fine tune them to maximum potential.

I have a piece of Vanax 75, it would be a crime to send that out for HT since its such a rare piece of exotic steel that is irreplaceable.

5. Batch to Batch variation.

There is always inherent variation in batch to batch chemistry. One of the joys of doing one's own HT is that each batch can be characterized and tuned to adjust for differences in what's going into solution due to alloy variation.

Last edited:
No 3 was what got me into it for sure, sending out for HT once was enough to realise I had to stop doing that to make this the kind of hobby I wanted it to be.
No 1, 2 and 4 have evolved since then. HT becomes a little hobby of its own. Just like warp correction :rolleyes:
Good post.

No 3 was what got me into it for sure, sending out for HT once was enough to realise I had to stop doing that to make this the kind of hobby I wanted it to be.
No 1, 2 and 4 have evolved since then. HT becomes a little hobby of its own. Just like warp correction :rolleyes:
Good post.
Haha read that last line at first glance as warp "collection" haha totally.

I am under $500 nz for quench plates, foil, quenchant, and a full DIY oven that operates +/- 5 deg at stainless temps. With a bit of willingness to experiment it doesn't need to be expensive.

I'd love some hardness testing equipment though, and there really doesn't seem to be a cheap way around that....

Can’t wait for my oven to get here. I didn’t go the DIY route because I just don’t have the time, I’d rather spend it making knives. I’ve been using primarily 1084, only so I can heat treat in my forge. I know that’s not the best, but I’m a huge do everything you can yourself guy. The last castration knife I gave away castrated 50 bulls and cut the wrap off of several bales of hay, which is notoriously hard on edges. It still shaves after all that. I’m most excited about my oven to open up the possibilities of working with higher quality steels.

Well said. My feeling is if you don’t want to do your own heat treatment for various reasons, that’s fine, but you should know how and have done it.
Take a class or work with another Knifemaker for a day and learn the process.

When I was a small time collector before becoming a full time maker, I bought a custom knife from a world class maker. He told me uses Paul Bos heat treating to his specifications. But he knows how to forge and heat treat and has done it.

I just bought my 2nd furnace.

Back at ya,
Congrats on the second furnace.
:thumbsup:

Well said. My feeling is if you don’t want to do your own heat treatment for various reasons, that’s fine, but you should know how and have done it.
Take a class or work with another Knifemaker for a day and learn the process.

When I was a small time collector before becoming a full time maker, I bought a custom knife from a world class maker. He told me uses Paul Bos heat treating to his specifications. But he knows how to forge and heat treat and has done it.

I just bought my 2nd furnace.

My main concern about having something heat treated professionally is #2. Sure its 62 hrc, but how did you get there? What incentive (besides repeat business by the knives performing well) does a heat treater have to do two, two hour tempers to get to 62 vs just getting to 62? At the same time, buying professional equipment will cost at least 1500 USD, not to mention having the proper power to run the equipment. I hate to spend 1500-2500 USD to get all the equipment and power to heat treat my own AEB-L knives (which I give away) when I can send 20 knives to a well know heat treater for 11 USD each. I used a grinding jig and a 1x30 for nearly 1.5 years while I was "in the process" of making a 2x72. That process was thinking about how to do it and when to start. March of last year I said, its time to get serious. So I bought a 2x72. But, as far as I know, I can not have my knives sent out to have the bevels ground in. But I can send them out for heat treatment.

Frankly, I wish more beginners would send their blades out for HT until they learn more. There seems to be a rash of simple non-magnetic and quench for 1095 lately, as well as various other issues such as wrong quenchant, not understand oil speed, and even quite a few thinking you can HT stainless in a forge just like 1084. The number of "facebook experts" giving out bad advice is alarming. I watched a guy try to quench a 2000°F 1075 blade yesterday.

I HT my own knives, but I don't pretend I know more about HT than the professionals. They have more experience, and better tools. They understand how to get the best performance out of a HT, proper cryo, tempering schedules, and toughness/hardness considerations to the different methods of getting 62 HRC. If they don't, then they probably won't last long in the business.

I feel It's worth investing to be a heat treatment professional as a knifemaker.

Frankly, I wish more beginners would send their blades out for HT until they learn more. There seems to be a rash of simple non-magnetic and quench for 1095 lately, as well as various other issues such as wrong quenchant, not understand oil speed, and even quite a few thinking you can HT stainless in a forge just like 1084. The number of "facebook experts" giving out bad advice is alarming. I watched a guy try to quench a 2000°F 1075 blade yesterday.

I HT my own knives, but I don't pretend I know more about HT than the professionals. They have more experience, and better tools. They understand how to get the best performance out of a HT, proper cryo, tempering schedules, and toughness/hardness considerations to the different methods of getting 62 HRC. If they don't, then they probably won't last long in the business.

When Peter's basically destroyed a whole batch of AEB-L knives I sent them, I figured I could do the same for less money. Plus, if I get a wild hair up my you know what, I can just make some crazy stuff and be finished with it the same day instead of 3 weeks later.

Being on the other end of the table can I ask why you would send a knife to a heat treater you could not trust. I am of firm belief that If you send knives out for heat treating thy should go to someone that specializes in blades. On the other end of the spectrum it’s a bit naïve to think that it’s just the equipment that gives you a good heat treat. It reminds me of the movie “Quigley Down Under” where the cocky kid say “well if you gave me a rifle like that I could beat him with my eyes shut” the response from the other guy was “you got a lot to learn”. There is a lot if truth to that. Do you want to spend your time and money making knives or figuring out heat treating. I can’t speak for other shops but we do thousands upon thousands of blades and we are in direct contact with the customer. We thrive on the feedback from them in keeping us in the loop. Lots of times thy will have weird requests and we do everything in our power to provide the lv of service And performance thy require.

Tons of time and resources go into learning the art of heat treating. Each alloy likes things just a tad different. But it’s not just a cut and paste formula generally as ovens are different and lots of testing has to be done to figure out what your proper temp ranges are. I could give you my heat treating book but it would only be a starting point with completely different equipment.

The amount of money we continue to invest in our equipment and upgrades is no small sum. Consistency and repeatability is the name of the game when it comes to performance. Sure a grand will get you set up with an oven but what about tempering, subzero/cryo Treatments and hardness testing? We have found that Heat Treating ovens are very lacking for tempering so a dedicated oven is required. We have 3 forced air tempering ovens all digitally pid controlled with timers. All our ovens are lab grade to insure uniformity in Tempering.

Hardness Testing is a very big deal in the heat treating business. You can not just blindly fallow the manufactures documents and end up with the hardness thy say. You will be close but there will usually be some variances in results. So yes a hardness tester is a must because that’s what gages the results and let’s you know if your matching up with the manufactures specs. Yes some steels have been pushed above and beyond the manufactures recommended treatment with great results. But this is why you use a heat treater that specializes in blades and keeps his/her ears to the ground of research.

In our business we hardness test every blade right after the first temper. We track and wright down every test. We know what the steel should give us and if there is a deviation from this then it raises red flags. We try our best to give the customer the hardness thy request using a variety of test data and research for each alloy. The manufactures very clearly spec a temp range you should sit in to achieve the desired performance. This echoes back to my statement above “why would you send a blade to a heat treater you can’t trust”.

If your wanting to get into heat treating to experiment with time/temp/rate above and beyond what the manufacture recommends then yes get all your own equipment. This is how we learn and lots of people find this quite fun. If your wanting to become self sufficient and remove the delay then knock your self out. But, if your wanting a solid, dependable and proven heat treat then it’s hard to beat a company that has treated more blades then you will ever see in a lifetime.

the difference that separates hobbyists from professionals is hobbyists will spend time to save money and professionals will spend money to save time. Just because a process is preformed in a professional manner does not mean it’s in some way lacking what a hobbyists will achieve with unlimited time.

but let me go on record saying I’m all for people getting set up and learning this craft. It’s how new things are tried and experiments with. A lot of times a professional shop does not have time to invest in experimenting with alloys. So you have 2 thumbs up from me to continue to push the envelope.

Last edited:
I think you need both.
It would be silly for me to HT 100 oyster knives if I could be finishing the last batch during that time. Cost in time is cost in money.
However, doing the HT on a wakizashi is something I need to be in control of.

When the new shop is finally cranking out blades, I will send the bulk of kitchen, fishing, and hunting knife blades to JT in large batches.

Totally agree. Wish we had a reliable knife focused ht service here in nz, its pretty much a nessecity for me here. A couple of companies do it, but none are knife focused and the costs are pretty steep unless doing it in batches.
I think you need both.
It would be silly for me to HT 100 oyster knives if I could be finishing the last batch during that time. Cost in time is cost in money.
However, doing the HT on a wakizashi is something I need to be in control of.

When the new shop is finally cranking out blades, I will send the bulk of kitchen, fishing, and hunting knife blades to JT in large batches.

For me JT hit it on the head: Consistency, consistency, consistency. Repeatability, repeatability, repeatability. Also the $$ factor. I'm spending $$ to save time and time is $$$$$$$!

I use to do my own heat treat. I had a buddy who has a degree in accounting come over one day. He tracked me heat treating a batch and wrote er all down. Now this was many years ago, but he came up with $13 a blade was what it was costing me to do my own heat treat. Now that WAS NOT including chasing warp. We all know we never spend any time chasing warp and straightening out some of those dang blades. If I send 100 plus blades of the same steel (which is what I do on most of my AEB-L blades) to Peter's I pay $3 a blade. Little batches of 10-20 blades I send to JT because he is way more cost effective for the smaller batches. Say our batch price of me doing the HT is accurate, its not because its years old and didn't take into account warp chasing, but say it is. I just saved a $1,000 dollars having the ht out sourced. Reality is its probably somewhere between $1500-$2000. Is your profit margin that high that you can eat that kind of $$? Mine isn't. Number one cause of a small business failing is the owner not putting a $ value on THEIR time. Like Stacy said I could be making knives instead of heat treating knives. I could grab up some black sand from the river bank and smelt my own steel. But I don't. I could go chop down a cocobolo tree in Mexico and saw er up and let it dry for many years and then use it for knife handles. But I don't. I could cast my own brass bar for bolster material. But I don't. I build knives instead and I sell knives and I make a living doing it.

Consistency and repeatability: I often get a call that goes something like this. "Hey I bought one of your Coyote knives a couple of years ago. Best knife I've ever had. I'd like to get one just like it for my brother. His birthday is coming up." I can make and sell him a knife "just like it" because of the consistency that sending out for HT affords. It will be, just like it. If the HT sucked, I'd know it. I've got thousands of knives on the belts of working cowboys, ranchers, buckaroos, working horsemen, farmers, guides, hunters, fishermen, leather craftsmen, cooks, professional chefs etc all over the world. If the HT sucked I'd of heard about it, but thats not what I hear. Plus, now I don't have to chase warp, they all come back arrow straight. Sending out HT works for me.

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time, years actually, chasing the knowledge and equipment to learn to get the most out of the steels I use. Tracy Mickley suggested publicly that anyone wanting to do their own heat treat needed to do a cost analysis of buying a kiln vs using a reliable, professional service. I bought the kiln. Took me three years but I came to the realization that it costs me much more in time to do my own ht vs sending it out. In December I sent out a dozen, January, fourteen. I’m slowly working on sending all out with the exception of the one-of customs I do.
By March I’ll have two dozen going out every month. My productivity has more than doubled.
Do what works for you.

the difference that separates hobbyists from professionals is hobbyists will spend time to save money and professionals will spend money to save time.

That's interesting.

I wonder what you call someone who is always short on both? :D

That's interesting.

I wonder what you call someone who is always short on both? :D
Thats a good one!
-------------
I think I'll send out my next batch to JTknives JTknives
I've got some fun projects in the works.

Now being on the left coast shipping is a huge cost when sending to PHT. The lead times are pretty brutal unfortunately.

Back