Review Wally Camillus X Carnivor..

BellaBlades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Cell phone short review.
Since this is such a readily available tool I figured I would share todays experience.

This short review is more for the average joe than the die hard know it all like myself ;).

First real use scenario. Had some weather above freezing so the kids and I cleaned up the yard. AKA, played in the mud.

"Titanium Bonded Steel"?
18" oal
11.5 cutting edge
5.5 inch handle
.135 blade

Gave this thing its first test.

Chopped up this years and last years x-mas tree along with some dead and dried oak. About 30 minutes of constant hacking.

The pine handed over some damage in the first ten strikes, but nothing else for the remainder of the evening.

The circled area is the sweet spot for chopping, it saws rather well. However a poor reverse grip makes it very difficult to use.

Pros
- Chops well
- Sheath is decent quality
-The Hollow grind cuts well
Cons
- Handle shock is painful if you dont hit the sweet spot
- Handle is slippery
-Handle has poor traction in rear grip for sawing application
-Blade steel warps
-Hollow grind is as thin as my Chris Reeve Ti lock. Too thin for this application.

The pictures speak for themselves.
20180217_174407.jpg
20180217_153513.jpg 20180217_152350.jpg 20180217_153540.jpg
20180217_194114.jpg 20180217_154917.jpg 20180217_154924.jpg
20180217_153654.jpg

View attachment 850693

I took a gamble and it does the job.
But a poor heat treat, blade material or grind is dooms day for this blade.

I forwarded thjis review to Camillus for further evaluation.

Time for another Ka-bar Bk#

Last edited:
First I get one of the early weak tang models and now maybe one that bends. It hasn't bent yet but I've only chopped light branches.

I sent this review to Camillus in an email and I'm waiting to hear back. Since it cost about $30 and it would be about $15 to send it in I am just going to see if they want to to warranty it through this review and I will test the new one. But in the end I'd like to just know what the problem is or if it's just part of the design.
We will see.

:) Good review . Looks like yet another product made to sell but not to perform .

I almost bought one after they corrected the breakage issue, SO glad I didn't now. They look great, but that's about it I guess based on the performance in your review.

Thanks for the replies gentleman. This tool has a lot of potential, we will see what they say.

I've seen several videos of this thing failing in all kinds of ways. Especially the handle.

Sorry but, it's junk imo. :thumbsdown:

I have yet to hear back. We will see. Wal Mart supplies roughly 250,000,000 people and employs 1% of the USA according to my research. So if this can be fixed or it helps 100 people from relying on this product. I will give this review a huge thumbs up.

I bought this on a whim due to the price and availability. Fail. Let's get them the fix it.

I've seen several videos of this thing failing in all kinds of ways. Especially the handle.

Sorry but, it's junk imo. :thumbsdown:

They fixed the handle breakage issue, but it seems the blade is still a crap shoot or just plain crap. I wanted to like this thing, too bad it just doesn't pass go.

I have yet to hear back. We will see. Wal Mart supplies roughly 250,000,000 people and employs 1% of the USA according to my research. So if this can be fixed or it helps 100 people from relying on this product. I will give this review a huge thumbs up.

I bought this on a whim due to the price and availability. Fail. Let's get them the fix it.
:) Admirable goal ! But there must be a big market for junky blades . If you CAN get Camillus straightened out , please turn your awesome powers upon CRKT , Gerber , SOG etc . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:) Admirable goal ! But there must be a big market for junky blades . If you CAN get Camillus straightened out , please turn your awesome powers upon CRKT , Gerber , SOG etc . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah. Good point. Thats why I own and use quality products. Once in a while you find a gem. This is no gem :)

Stop making stainless steel choppers! Really, just stop making junk stainless knives at all.

Agreed.
And no follow-up from the company so if you didn't already know better, don't buy one.

Back