101 uses for "Ranger Bands"

Have seen them stretched over the grip of a pocket pistol for a cheap rubber grip. Also seen the same thing done with holes made with a hole punch.

Have a roadie tube in the back of the Jeep just for tieing stuff. Lots of MTN bike tubes to cut into for bands.

I have all my bicycle tools stuffed into one band. Keeps the tools from clanking while on the trail.
One keeps my Altoids tin shut.
One around my Zippo keeps the lid closed and hopefully seals it for longer fuel life.
some around my knife sheath for....something someday.

Badge54

I use it to hold items,like on my necker it holds a LMF scout model and sharpener
IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

Lots of good uses so far.

You know those Mora knives...the ones with the good knives ,but not so secure sheaths?

If you cut a small piece of a Ranger Band & super glue it inside the sheath opening,it tightens it up on the handle just enough to be secure while still allowing you to get the knife outta there.

you can also do something simmilar with several strips of insulation tape (electricians tape) layed one over the other.

I've been using one lately as a horizontal sheath for my leatherman charge. I just run my belt through it, then cram the leatherman in. 1.5" - 2" wide works great. It's really secure and ultraslim.

I've also used them to mount things to my BK7 sheath, hold my altoid tin closed, improve grip on some small bottles that are hard to open, especially when wet.

I use a few around a long length of paracord to keep it nice and tidy in my bag, works great to keep the size down.

Wrap it around the handle of an otherwise slippery fixed blade.

Use it like a tourniquet to stop the bleeding of the finger you just cut while sharpening your Bark River while reading the Forums.

Naked...do you have a pic of your carry? I am having trouble picturing it...

Naked...do you have a pic of your carry? I am having trouble picturing it...

I don't have an pictures of mine, but on this thread you can see one... here's the picture:

tube-belt-sheath.jpg

It works really well, I've been carry my Charge today in its stock sheath, and it's just to big, and I don't like vertical carry. I'd still really like an ultra-slim kydex sheath, but I've yet to find someone who makes one that I'd like, and I've yet to dive into sheath making.

Here is a link about using elastic

Last edited:
I use it to hold wedges, a Garrity LED, window punch, and other miscellaneous odds and ends on my helmet. Otherwise they'd get lost in a pocket. I was pretty pleased with the Garrity LED at our last structure fire, it was plenty bright for overhaul operations, and being on my helmet it was always shining where I wanted to look.

I also have a small tool pouch in a pocket that I warp a band around to hold other other things in place so they are easy to grab.

I know this is not a "Wilderness Survival" Use but I use them on my Tech SCUBA gear. Keeps my Inflate/Deflate hoses on the Shoulder Straps so I can find them quickly!

they hurt. really, really bad when you get snapped with one.... especially on sunburn :D seriously though if you take sections of tube instead of 2 inch strips, you could probably make slingshot material, tornequets, or tie-offs with em.

lower the trigger guard of your AR15 and put a 1 1/2 inch band around the mag well...slip a second loaded mag under the band for a makeshift reddi-mag... just be sure to pull the mag outward at the base, so the band doesn't come off the mag well and block the port... will scratch the finish so use a polymer mag if you are using for gun games...

they hurt. really, really bad when you get snapped with one.... especially on sunburn :D seriously though if you take sections of tube instead of 2 inch strips, you could probably make slingshot material, tornequets, or tie-offs with em.

Sling shot?

My mom told me of her childhood mis-adventures making an inner tube gun, like a rubber band gun on steroids. she and other neighborhood kids would take a band of car inner tube, tie knots in it, load said weapon and they could shoot out street lights, please don't do this cause when its dark I gets scared sometimes. my mutha,who knew? Uff DA....(sigh)

Pat

Do you get nervous when your brother picks up your hatchet when camping? I do and if I know he will be along, I slip a band around the hatchet handle and slide it up to just below the head. This helps protect the handle some from bad swings. I wish I could find a way to protect the cutting edge.

Do you get nervous when your brother picks up your hatchet when camping? I do and if I know he will be along, I slip a band around the hatchet handle and slide it up to just below the head. This helps protect the handle some from bad swings. I wish I could find a way to protect the cutting edge.

buy him a 10 dollar collins hatchet and be done with it :D

In the colder weather I cover my maglite handles with innertube.
Improves the grip and is much warmer to the touch.

I wrap them around kit items like signal mirrors and compasses to protect them from abrasions, and stow a few away for g.p., with the added benefit of making the kits rattle-free.

Back